It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our guide to a world of awesome game reviews

Game reviews are important. They help developers get direct feedback on their games, and as gamers they help us make an informed purchase or share our thoughts. Writing a quality review carries a certain responsibility: to do good by both the game and the community. Striking that perfect balance is a challenge, a delicate art that we want to promote.

Next time you're about to write a review, you'll see our simple suggestions for crafting a top-notch review. You can always revisit them from the review form as well.

Focus on your in-game experience: if you have general feedback or need tech support, contact us!
Avoid politics and drama: let the game stand on its own merits.
Critique responsibly: whether it's positive or negative, a great review should be helpful and informative.

We hope that these three essential guidelines will help make GOG.com reviews even more awesome than they already are, but we also don't want to stop there!

CONTEST: REVIEW OF THE MONTH

Together with our friends at ROCCAT we venture to encourage and reward the best reviews on GOG.com – and to that end, we are introducing our monthly Review of the Month contest!

Submit your review for any game (or games!) released on GOG.com between May 1 and May 31, 2016. This time around, the grand prize is the RENGA gaming headset, courtesy of ROCCAT.

Here's what you need to know:

—Once you've posted your review, submit it for consideration by also quoting it in this post's forum thread.
—Keep the review guidelines in mind. A good review can be both entertaining and informative, it can be brief or extensive. It doesn't need to be positive in its overall assessment of the game - as long as it's eloquent and fair (or hilarious), it has our attention.
—All eligible reviews must be about games that have joined the GOG.com catalog within the previous month. For this first phase of the contest eligible reviews shall concern games that came out on GOG.com between May 1 and May 31, 2016.
—Winners will be announced at the beginning of every month with the start of next month's contest. The first round of winners will be announced in early July, giving you guys a bit of extra time to fine-tune your entries. Remember that if you're not happy with the shape of a review you've already posted, you can always contact our support team to rectify that.
—The best review of each month will win a sweet piece of gaming gear, courtesy of the good people at ROCCAT. Any runners-up will receive honorable mentions and one $9.99 code each, to be redeemed at GOG.com.

Let's celebrate the reviews that hit the nail on the head — the most constructive, informative, or fun to read. Grab your keyboards and make some magic happen, GOGers!
Post edited May 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
GOG.com: Critique responsibly: whether it's positive or negative, a great review should be helpful and informative.
Have you increased the word count available for reviews? Good, helpful, and, especially, informative reviews only really can happen if there's enough space to produce those qualities.
GOG.com: Critique responsibly: whether it's positive or negative, a great review should be helpful and informative.
Mnemon: Have you increased the word count available for reviews? Good, helpful, and, especially, informative reviews only really can happen if there's enough space to produce those qualities.
I just love the jokes people are making today, very creative. 10/10.
low rated
omega64: Both if she lives in America.
gamesfreak64: nice one: sew is also used when taylors repair or create clothing with a thread and needle
sue: like i see you at court, and you have been sued , so sue should probably get a good lawyer.

sue is being sued over a thing, a tresspassing, a robbery, or maybe because she insulted a high placed member from a government, and thats why sue was sued so people would see sue in court over some things certain people might haven seen , while sue was messing around while sewing some things.
Your post would be more readable if:

1. You capitalized the first word of each sentence.
2. You capitalized proper nouns (in particular, this would include "Sue" (the name) but not "sue" (the court action)).
3. When mentioning (rather than using) a word, you put it inside quotes.
gamesfreak64: nice one: sew is also used when taylors repair or create clothing with a thread and needle
sue: like i see you at court, and you have been sued , so sue should probably get a good lawyer.

sue is being sued over a thing, a tresspassing, a robbery, or maybe because she insulted a high placed member from a government, and thats why sue was sued so people would see sue in court over some things certain people might haven seen , while sue was messing around while sewing some things.
omega64: Yes, thank you for explaining the joke.
your welcome ... its always nice that i being a humble dutch born guy can reply in some decent english (which isnt my native language) in reply to people who have english as a native language, and i am not using google translate in an open window :D

Its nice to show that dutch is far more complicated to learn then most people might think :D

simple example is the dutch word:

schop

schop is like kick with the leg or legs, but schop is also a tool like shovel, schoppen on the other hand are the spades used in cards, like ace of spades, schoppen is also plural for kicking

And we have more words like these.

ah i love the dutch language, it looks so easy and simple to learn language, but it;s not, its far from easy...

English imho is the best and easiest to learn language and i like it very much, if i wasnt born dutch, i would love to been born english, and maybe, just maybe german, cause the other languages are way to difficult.
Have I introduced you to tomyam80? He's a lovely guy. You'd love to meet him. I'm sure you two would get along brilliantly.
dtgreene: Your post would be more readable if:

1. You capitalized the first word of each sentence.
2. You capitalized proper nouns (in particular, this would include "Sue" (the name) but not "sue" (the court action)).
3. When mentioning (rather than using) a word, you put it inside quotes.
Your post would be more bearable if:

Nevermind, I dislike impossible tasks.

Edit:
Seriously, I'm not sure a forum is the place to be educating people on this without them asking.
Post edited May 20, 2016 by omega64
low rated
gamesfreak64: your welcome ... its always nice that i being a humble dutch born guy can reply in some decent english (which isnt my native language) in reply to people who have english as a native language, and i am not using google translate in an open window :D

Its nice to show that dutch is far more complicated to learn then most people might think :D

schop

schop is like kick with the leg or legs, but schop is also a tool like shovel, schoppen on the other hand are the spades used in cards, like ace of spades, schoppen is also plural for kicking

ah i love the dutch language, it looks so easy and simple to learn language, but it;s not, its far from easy...

English imho is the best and easiest to learn language and i like it very much, if i wasnt born dutch, i would love to been born english, and maybe, just maybe german, cause the other languages are way to difficult.
English isn't that simple.

In particular, apostrophes can completely change the meaning of a word.

For example, "its" means "belonging to it". Therefore, it is typically used right before another noun. For example. "its backside" or "its power button", but not "its raining" (which is grammatically incorrect).

"It's", on the other hand, is a contraction meaning "it is". Anytime you see one, you can replace it with the other. Hence, since "it is raining" is correct English, so is "it's raining".

A similar situation happens with "your" (belonging to you) and "you're" (you are). In particular, I note that "your welcome" is not correct; "welcome" isn't a noun and therefore not something one might own. "You're welcome", on the other hand, is the correct term.

There's other cases as well, like with "there", "their", and "they're", which are pronounced the same but are not interchangeable.

I should point out that these mistakes are commonly made even by native English speakers, so don't feel too bad about making them. On the other hand, you should try not to make this sort of mistake.
Mnemon: Have you increased the word count available for reviews? Good, helpful, and, especially, informative reviews only really can happen if there's enough space to produce those qualities.
omega64: I just love the jokes people are making today, very creative. 10/10.
Deduct a point. Should have used 'Great' as in the original quote instead of the word 'good' in my response.
omega64: I just love the jokes people are making today, very creative. 11/10.
Mnemon: Deduct a point. Should have used 'Great' as in the original quote instead of the word 'good' in my response.
Fixed
gamesfreak64: your welcome ... its always nice that i being a humble dutch born guy can reply in some decent english (which isnt my native language) in reply to people who have english as a native language, and i am not using google translate in an open window :D

schop

dtgreene: English isn't that simple.

In particular, apostrophes can completely change the meaning of a word.

For example, "its" means "belonging to it". Therefore, it is typically used right before another noun. For example. "its backside" or "its power button", but not "its raining" (which is grammatically incorrect).

"It's", on the other hand, is a contraction meaning "it is". Anytime you see one, you can replace it with the other. Hence, since "it is raining" is correct English, so is "it's raining".

A similar situation happens with "your" (belonging to you) and "you're" (you are). In particular, I note that "your welcome" is not correct; "welcome" isn't a noun and therefore not something one might own. "You're welcome", on the other hand, is the correct term.

There's other cases as well, like with "there", "their", and "they're", which are pronounced the same but are not interchangeable.

I should point out that these mistakes are commonly made even by native English speakers, so don't feel too bad about making them. On the other hand, you should try not to make this sort of mistake.
Thank you for the information... i was looking for these things but couldn't find the right words for it, and like i said, i dont want to use a translation all the time, besides, in dutch we also have problems like that so i dont see that as a problem.

Anyways, the fun thing is that if every country should have a test to see if they would use their language properly, my guess would be that at least 75% would fail big time... so eventhough they teach us these things while we were at school, the majority of the people wont be using it as it makes things much to complicated.

Finally: it doesn't matter if or how a person writes, the thing is : do we understand what the person is trying to say? and that is all that matters, i dont care about properly used grammar and all that nonsens, and i will never tell a person if he or she made some spelling or grammar mistakes, wrong use of present and past, or singular or plural, as long as the message arrives and we know what the person means its okay with me.

Maybe she should have sent her clothes to the sewer to be repaired? :-P

(Sorry, just poking fun at all the pronunciation explanations!)
blakstar: Maybe she should have sent her clothes to the sewer to be repaired? :-P

What, a sewer pun? That stinks.
low rated
blakstar: Maybe she should have sent her clothes to the sewer to be repaired? :-P

zeogold: What, a sewer pun? That stinks.
Do I need to pun-ish you?
dtgreene: I should point out that these mistakes are commonly made even by native English speakers, so don't feel too bad about making them. On the other hand, you should try not to make this sort of mistake.
In almost two decades on the interwebs, I've never seen a non-native English speaker write "could of" / "should of" / "would of". So there's that.
dtgreene: I should point out that these mistakes are commonly made even by native English speakers, so don't feel too bad about making them. On the other hand, you should try not to make this sort of mistake.
Starmaker: In almost two decades on the interwebs, I've never seen a non-native English speaker write "could of" / "should of" / "would of". So there's that.
That's one of my pet peeves too -- of course, it all comes down to the contractions "would've, could've, etc.", but after you've heard it used in speech patterns for a long time, it's easy to understand how the grammar got corrupted.