It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Oddeus: I´m a bit jealous of your burgers.
That just look like a kebab gone horribly wrong.

Or depending who you ask, horribly right.
Leroux: -snip-

Nowadays, if you can find any German who'd actually admit to still liking him, it's probably just nostalgia. ;)
Huh. I didn't realize he was an icon of freedom.
Post edited October 07, 2018 by Darvond
Darvond: Huh. I didn't realize he was an icon of freedom.
Are you kidding me? Hasselhoff single handedly shouted The Wall to pieces after all others failed!
Darvond: What do you think of "American Cuisine"?
The only thing that comes into my mind is fast food and I'm not that much into it. Still a tad better than british cuisine which in my opinion is a crime against humanity (sorry brits, I stil like your country but will make sure to stick to foreign restaurants whenever I'm on visit).
On a further note: german cuisine isn't that great either but at least we make up for it with our baking skills ;)
hmcpretender: The only thing that comes into my mind is fast food and I'm not that much into it. Still a tad better than british cuisine which in my opinion is a crime against humanity (sorry brits, I stil like your country but will make sure to stick to foreign restaurants whenever I'm on visit).
On a further note: german cuisine isn't that great either but at least we make up for it with our baking skills ;)
I think Canadian food is a sort of best of both worlds situation.
timppu: Now that I think about it, do people make any difference in pronunciation when they say "lose" vs. "loose"? If I pronounced those phonetically as Finns do, the difference is very easy to hear (but then they wouldn't sound anything like they are pronounced in English, as English isn't a phonetic language).
dtgreene: "lose" has a long "o" sound, while "loose" has a short "o" sound. (Yes, it's the opposite of what you'd expect from the spelling; maybe that's why some people have been writing "loose" when they mean "lose" lately?)
How interesting. I'd definitely be curious as to other British English input on this question, because as far as I go, the vowel sound difference between the two is exactly the same; it is the s that is pronounced differently:

lose = looz
loose = loos
Post edited October 07, 2018 by babark
babark: How interesting. I'd definitely be curious as to other British English input on this question, because as far as I go, the vowel sound difference between the two is exactly the same; it is the s that is pronounced differently:

lose = looz
loose = loos
That's how learned it too, and also heard it from native speakers. Though it's true that the oo is actually pronounced longer in "lose" compared to "loose". Merriam Webster shows the same ü for both vocals though.
The title of this thread makes me wonder what defines a 'foreign GOGer'? A non-Polish GOGer, probably?
Post edited October 08, 2018 by DubConqueror
Leroux: I think most of the times it's easier to describe a specific regional cuisine than the cuisine of a whole nation which can be extremely varying across the whole country.
That's a good point. "America" (I guess "USA") is a big country size of Europe, so do Europeans ask other people "what do you think of European cuisine?", not specifying whether they are talking about French, Italian, Spanish, Swedish (surströmming) or Finnish cuisine (black blood sausage + mämmi)? I presume there are similar differences between different regions of US, e.g. where TinyE is from, they eat black blood sausage and mämmi every morning. And evening. And sometimes for the dinner and lunch too.

I have once participated into a Thanksgiving dinner in Finland (a family whose father was from US and the kids identified themselves both to Finland and US) and... I guess the filled turkey was ok, and I think there was corn bread which I very much liked. Is corn bread considered US food?

Also I like Kentucky Fried Chicken (the one time I have tried it), does that count too? Oh and that one imported Twinkie I got to eat in the 80s, that was quite delicious IIRC, but I was a small kid back then and could eat anything.

BTW I don't actually like drinking Coca Cola. The taste it ok... but it just tends to make me more thirsty and my mouth dry. If I'm going to get soda with my food (and not water, like usually), I prefer orange soda, like the Finnish Jaffa soda as it has a bit more "nippy" taste than orange Fanta and such.
DubConqueror: The title of this thread makes me wonder what defines a 'foreign GOGer'? A non-Polish GOGer, probably?
Someone who is from a different country that the person asking. I am a foreigner to you, and you are a furriner to me.

The point of this thread, I think, is to ask questions about some specific country, and/or asking people who are not from your country, what they think about something related to your country. Or, how do different things work in different countries.
Post edited October 08, 2018 by timppu
DubConqueror: The title of this thread makes me wonder what defines a 'foreign GOGer'? A non-Polish GOGer, probably?
timppu: Someone who is from a different country that the person asking. I am a foreigner to you, and you are a furriner to me.

The point of this thread, I think, is to ask questions about some specific country, and/or asking people who are not from your country, what they think about something related to your country. Or, how do different things work in different countries.
I remember near the start of the Knights of the Old Republic, you're on this apartment complex on some random planet, and you encounter some locals fighting among themselves, and your character (or one of the companions?) referred to them as "aliens", and I started laughing, thinking "You're the alien here, this is their home".
Darvond: Opinions may be seen as such, but I do feel the USA has invented a fair share of foods.
Leroux: I think most of the times it's easier to describe a specific regional cuisine than the cuisine of a whole nation which can be extremely varying across the whole country. Are you thinking about the sum of all the regional dishes in the US or about what most people abroad would associate with "American" food in general (which is most likely fast food like hamburgers and hot dogs or other stereotypes)?

Since we get a lot of cultural influences from the US but I've never actually been there myself, I'd have to think hard what food I know that is considered to be truly US American in origin. (I liked the Pumpkin Pie I once made after a recipe, but I don't know how true it was to the original.)

Personally, I care more for specific dishes than the arbitrary sum of them that is described as a country's cuisine. I bet you could find something delicious and something repulsive or bland in every nation's "cuisine". ;)
U.S.A is considered melting pot for a reason central to mountains we have a lot of Spanish foods even down south, the Californian and Chicago has china town while smaller cities also have Chinese foods, then we have Korean places

i think in term of american food would be actually the burger and not including fast food joints. but there are small places that make there own original food usually it's either ma or pa restraint or a small chain

as for drinks https://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/ a machine that has 100 built in drinks choices as well you can make your own mix and match flavors but i prefer pepsi.

also america is big from San Franciso California to New York it's about 2,573 milies / 4140.842 Kilometer it's not as big as Russia or Africa but Europe can fit into America
actually there is a wikipedia list :P https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_foods
---

my adive and finale say hamburger and hotdog is american but get a Chicago style hotdog, it's really good
Yellow Mustard
Bright "Neon" Green Relish
Fresh Chopped Onions
Two Tomato Wedges
A Pickle Spear or Slice
Two Sport Peppers
A Dash of Celery Salt
steamed poppy seed bun
http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/chicagodog.php
also somethings that good is green river which was made during the Prohibition when alcoholic beverages was banned, it's a none alcoholic drink but it does have a slight kick to it.
Post edited October 10, 2018 by KnightW0lf
KnightW0lf: actually there is a wikipedia list :P https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_foods
Yeah, that list is so vast and varied that it kind of proves my point about the pointlessness of judging a whole big country's "cuisine", and there's also lot of stuff on it that's not originally or exclusively American, but it's still a good start, thanks! I guess Mac and Cheese could be seen as (stereo)typical American food as well, along with hamburgers and hotdogs?
Leroux: Yeah, that list is so vast and varied that it kind of proves my point about the pointlessness of judging a whole big country's "cuisine", and there's also lot of stuff on it that's not originally or exclusively American, but it's still a good start, thanks! I guess Mac and Cheese could be seen as (stereo)typical American food as well, along with hamburgers and hotdogs?
That's not even possible in Germany. There's so many different kinds of regional food, and often even the same terms mean something completely different in different regions (i.e. "Pfannkuchen").
KnightW0lf: get a Chicago style hotdog, it's really good
Speaking of which, the Chicago style pizza is awesome.
Pff, as if hotdogs and hamburgers are actually American. Just another example for "taken from somewhere else and passed off as your own".
Lucumo: Pff, as if hotdogs and hamburgers are actually American. Just another example for "taken from somewhere else and passed off as your own".
We have a long proud history of ripping off other cultures and claiming it as our own. We even do it to ourselves; look at rock & roll. :D