It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

what nation is a gog nation? I mean... Why the USA user thinks gog is USA?
Leroux: I've never heard that one before and wouldn't have believed it if not for the absence of protest from US GOG members here. So is it actually a fact? If so, how come?
Heretic777: Its true most US males are circ as infants. Its considered standard medical practice before 2000, I think for hygiene and to reduce masturbation. There are many cases where the doctor damaged the penis or cut it off. There was one case where the doctor cut it off and then the parents were told thats its better to change the infant to a female. Needless to say this poor kid grew up very confused and only much later found out what really happened.

Now there is a movement not to circ which I think is good. Its completely not necessary and barbaric.
I admit I still feel as if you're pullin my leg ...
"to reduce masturbation" :D
What kind of reason is that for a serious doctor to mess with your genitals?
Post edited September 13, 2011 by Leroux
Silverio13: what nation is a gog nation? I mean... Why the USA user thinks gog is USA?
What posts are you refering to?

When I started this thread, I was specific in calling it questions to "foreign goggers" rather than "non-USA goggers." It was meant as a topic for anyone to ask anyone of another nation respectful questions about their nation/culture/whatever.

I realize GOG is located in Poland, but the GOG Nation (if you want to call it that) is a worldwide community.
Post edited September 13, 2011 by ChaunceyK
Leroux: I admit I still feel as if you're pullin my leg ...
I'm not pulling your leg. I was born in the country, so my doctor was a country doctor and did not perform circ on me. Growing up, I felt very embarassed in the boys shower room when I was usually the only one uncirc. It wasn't until I grew up and realized how lucky I was not to be circ. Again, I view it as a barbaric ritual and am appalled that a civilized country like the USA promotes it as standard medical procedure. Remember that before 1950, masturbation was considered an unhealthy evil activity and society did everything it could to discourage it and they viewed circ as a great way to reduce it. I'm glad that there is now a movement to go natural and reduce infant circ.
ChaunceyK: What posts are you refering to?

When I started this thread, I was specific in calling it questions to "foreign goggers" rather than "non-USA goggers." It was meant as a topic for anyone to ask anyone of another nation respectful questions about their nation/culture/whatever.

I realize GOG is located in Poland, but the GOG Nation (if you want to call it that) is a worldwide community.
Dont worry, sorry for my tone, I was joking. Actually, I always think gog is Poland, hehe.
Leroux: I admit I still feel as if you're pullin my leg ...
Heretic777: I'm not pulling your leg. I was born in the country, so my doctor was a country doctor and did not perform circ on me. Growing up, I felt very embarassed in the boys shower room when I was usually the only one uncirc. It wasn't until I grew up and realized how lucky I was not to be circ. Again, I view it as a barbaric ritual and am appalled that a civilized country like the USA promotes it as standard medical procedure. Remember that before 1950, masturbation was considered an unhealthy evil activity and society did everything it could to discourage it and they viewed circ as a great way to reduce it. I'm glad that there is now a movement to go natural and reduce infant circ.
Yeah, it just seems so weird that this practice still continued to be common until the year 2000 or so, and I wouldn't have expected it in the US. Then again it's not that unusual seeing laws and practices in place that should have been abolished ages ago and are not really compatible with the present time and age anymore. Even in Germany there seem to be some dubious laws the origin of which dates back to colonial and nazi times ...

Anyway, thanks for enlighting me! :)
Post edited September 13, 2011 by Leroux
Heretic777: I've always been impressed with the European education system. Every person I meet from Europe is able to have a conversation in English.
Depends greatly on what you think a conversation is.

timppu: *snip* I think the official message is "people who are willing to work and build the Danish society are welcome, others are not", but still it can be quite tricky for even many highly educated westerners to stay in the country.
Don't know about Denmark, but Finland isn't very distinguished in the non-racist department either. I know because I have had the terrible misfortune of being half Finn, half Korean. Mind you, some people have it worse than I (black people spring to mind), so feel sorry for them and not me.

Apparently, I look Finnish enough to fool many, yet I still manage to attract people, usually drunk Finnish men in their fifties, who sit down opposite to me in public areas and ask where I'm from and what I'm doing in Finland, and then go on and on about how important it is to work for the benefit of the society. For fuck's sake, I was born in Finland, I was bullied in kindergarten and school in Finland, I did military service in Finland, I'm studying in Finland and I'll almost certainly end up working in Finland as well regardless of what drunks think I should do with my life.

In addition to flak from unknown Finns, I'm also pretty sensitive to what my friends say as well - when Girlfriend made a non-serious comment about me having slant eyes, I went absolutely ape. I've had to put up with this shit all my life, and I cannot see why the hell I should take it from friends as well.

Sorry, I may have answered a question that no one ever asked.

JudasIscariot: How cold are the winters in Norway? Is Norway one of those Scandinavian countries where it gets dark for longer periods than the average country closer to the equator?
I have never actually been to Norway, but I reckon it's pretty much the same as here. About six years ago, we had to wait until January until we got snow that didn't melt in a few days; a year back, when I was in the army, it could get as cold as minus thirty Celsius (plus wind) and the snow reached halfway up my thigh. It never got very light, and the little light we got during the day vanished early (between 3 pm and 5 pm, I think). On the upside, it never got dark on the ten-day summer exercise in Lapland.
i'm italian,ask me everything
Heretic777: I've always been impressed with the European education system. Every person I meet from Europe is able to have a conversation in English. I took French in high school, but I can't have a conversation in French, I just passed the class and forgot everything.
Can't speak for other countries, but I know for sure the problem we have here with English: way too much grammar, not enough conversation. I swear I was doing the same things from primary to high school. I've spoken to other students from other European countries, and while they made mistakes my teachers would consider terrible (how many times i heard "don't" instead of "doesn't"), their speaking was incredibly more fluid than mine, and their pronunciation was miles better.
oigroig: i'm italian,ask me everything
Do you guys watch American mafia movies and laugh about how dumb we are?
Bonobo_Power: Can't speak for other countries, but I know for sure the problem we have here with English: way too much grammar, not enough conversation.
I can very much relate to this. In class, we almost never spoke English, it was really bizarre. And murder on the active vocabulary.

In it's written form, English is very present in Germany, almost to a fault. Go into a museum, for example, and half of the paintings by domestic artists will have English titles.
StingingVelvet: Do you guys watch American mafia movies and laugh about how dumb we are?
That reminds me of The Sopranos. :D
StingingVelvet: Do you guys watch American mafia movies and laugh about how dumb we are?
actually no,there are other things that make you dumb

no free healthcare for example,death penalty(more expensive that put people in jail),no restriction in gun laws

please,also you have to get rid of your oligarchy
timppu: Important questions to folks in United States:
1. My understanding is that almost all men born in US are circumcised at birth (as infants).
Leroux: I've never heard that one before and wouldn't have believed it if not for the absence of protest from US GOG members here. So is it actually a fact? If so, how come?
I haven't performed empirical studies, my knowledge comes mainly from this piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLGcqPE7xu0

I've also heard that e.g. in Philippines it is a common practise, which I don't quite understand as aren't they mostly Catholics or something? Maybe for the same reasons as US folks then.

timppu: *snip* I think the official message is "people who are willing to work and build the Danish society are welcome, others are not", but still it can be quite tricky for even many highly educated westerners to stay in the country.
AlKim: Don't know about Denmark, but Finland isn't very distinguished in the non-racist department either. I know because I have had the terrible misfortune of being half Finn, half Korean. Mind you, some people have it worse than I (black people spring to mind), so feel sorry for them and not me.
No argument there, I think "The Finns" party rise is a testament to that. I'm really saddened about your bad experiences because it is kinda close thing to me also.

My point was mainly that unlike in Denmark, these tendencies have not yet quite been converted into much tighter immigration laws in other nordic countries. Meaning, my understanding is that currently it can be quite hard to immigrate and settle into Denmark. But, I'm no real expert in it, I have visited only a couple of times there (Copenhagen) due to work.
Post edited September 14, 2011 by timppu
What do you people think of Berlusconi?