It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Where magic spells doom.

<span class="bold">Zenith</span>, a tongue-in-cheek fantasy RPG with reckless wizards messing with chaotic powers, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 20% launch discount.

Say what you will about Argus Windell's snobbish attitude and outdated ways but the fact is the man knows how to spell. And that's not all too common in a world full of moronic adventurers, criminally overconfident wizards, and volatile cosmic powers. That's why, following a series of unfortunate events, Argus is forced to come back from his early retirement and help clean up the mess before the whole world goes the way of the complimentary cloth map.
Aside from his deep knowledge of the arcane, Argus can also swing a mean spell, when the situation calls for it. Which is good too, because as the story progresses, and the bosses keep growing toothier and toothier, he will need all the special combos, peculiar artifacts, and clever pop-culture references that he can get his hands on.

Get ready to kick some serious monster butt and scold some seriously incompetent heroes as you reach your spellcasting <span class="bold">Zenith</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 20% discount will last until September 27, 3:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xdT7jbAWz4g
Post edited September 20, 2016 by maladr0Id
Only 3 stars rating ? What's wrong with this game ?
GOG.com: clever pop-culture references
Sooo sick of these. Instead of actual humour they go all "look what we've watched/read/listened to, wink wink, nudge nudge". Argh!

Attached: The worst offender I can think of.
Attachments:
Post edited September 21, 2016 by Laberbacke
Those reviews though...
Grargar: A parody RPG? Something like Bard's Tale (2004)?
If it's as funny as The Bard's Tale, I'm interested. Does it work in Wine?

If it's a Unity game, why didn't they release it for Linux natively?
Post edited September 21, 2016 by shmerl
shmerl: Does it work in Wine?
If it's a Unity game, why didn't they release it for Linux natively?
Yes it works if you disable DirectX11 in wine. I am alsowondering why the game comes without linux support, because the unity engine allowed that. Perhaps it comes later? I hope it.
Patsche85: I am alsowondering why the game comes without linux support, because the unity engine allowed that. Perhaps it comes later? I hope it.
That would be really great. I got it running as per your and Judas' instructions, but even though my rig is well above the recommended settings, I get a mediocre performance. At 1080p I can only play it with the lowest graphical setting, so I guessed if I switched to 720p I could afford one of the intermediate settings. I was right, but at 720p the problem is that the downscaling is godawful and you cannot even read the dialog text.

Well, I guess it's the price to pay for running a compatibility layer. So yeah, +1 for a native Linux version, please!

PS: Graphical woes aside, I'm having a great time with it. I'm only 2 hours in, but there's been many epic moments so far. :D
Post edited September 21, 2016 by muntdefems
I was just amused by the look on the faces of the people in the art advertising the game on the main page.

They're both like "fucking hell hero shit, okay I'll do it. *sighs*"
Post edited September 21, 2016 by drealmer7
Patsche85: I am alsowondering why the game comes without linux support, because the unity engine allowed that. Perhaps it comes later? I hope it.
muntdefems: That would be really great. I got it running as per your and Judas' instructions, but even though my rig is well above the recommended settings, I get a mediocre performance. At 1080p I can only play it with the lowest graphical setting, so I guessed if I switched to 720p I could afford one of the intermediate settings. I was right, but at 720p the problem is that the downscaling is godawful and you cannot even read the dialog text.

Well, I guess it's the price to pay for running a compatibility layer. So yeah, +1 for a native Linux version, please!

PS: Graphical woes aside, I'm having a great time with it. I'm only 2 hours in, but there's been many epic moments so far. :D
What video card and drivers do you have? I played with the default "Fantastic" setting and I only had mild stuttering...
Are these only the screenshots on GOG or is the game graphics that blurry?

When you e.g. open the original image of the first screenshot the HUD items at the top left and bottom right are sharp. But the whole game scene, especially the characters, are very blurry, as if the graphics has been upscaled.
Ricky_Bobby: Humor is such a personal thing as well, my type is the GTA 5-style of darker humor.
I really dislike "nerd-culture" humor, like The Big Bang Theory ... I hope this game is not in that vein.
Smannesman: The very first 'joke' is a Frozen reference.
... hm, OK ... that's a shame. I do like humor in my games but not that kind of humor. I haven't even seen Frozen, not my kind of movie, which means I'll probably not "get" some of the jokes in the game.
JudasIscariot: What video card and drivers do you have? I played with the default "Fantastic" setting and I only had mild stuttering...
I've got a GeForce GTX 650 with 2GB, which is nothing to brag about (it's certainly much less powerful than your 970 :P) but the recommended specs list a GTX 480...

Apart from that, I'm running the same driver (370.28), the same kernel (4.7.4-1-ARCH), and the same Wine version (1.9.19) as you do, so the difference must be the card. :\
JudasIscariot: What video card and drivers do you have? I played with the default "Fantastic" setting and I only had mild stuttering...
muntdefems: I've got a GeForce GTX 650 with 2GB, which is nothing to brag about (it's certainly much less powerful than your 970 :P) but the recommended specs list a GTX 480...

Apart from that, I'm running the same driver (370.28), the same kernel (4.7.4-1-ARCH), and the same Wine version (1.9.19) as you do, so the difference must be the card. :\
Well, it was the only card available in a hurry when my 560 Ti died on a Sunday so yeah :P

I think part of the reason may be due to how the game is optimized and the overall compatibility layer is definitely not perfect in Wine as I tend to get noticeable lag here and there. In short, it's not just your hardware :)
Ricky_Bobby: ... hm, OK ... that's a shame. I do like humor in my games but not that kind of humor. I haven't even seen Frozen, not my kind of movie, which means I'll probably not "get" some of the jokes in the game.
That's the problem with humor as a main selling point.
Everything I encountered felt like a twelve year old had seen it in a movie and written it into the game.
Hence the comparison with Dink Smallwood, although that was at least charming IMO.
Looks great, and I'm extremely pleased with gog nearly matching steam's indie/smaller studio releases, but I read/watched that you cannot re-map the controls!

That's a major issue with me as I don't type (have to look at the keyboard, too much of a stretch for my fingers as well.) so that means I'm wish-listing this unless you can config via ini file.

I suppose I can use a controller, unless it's been hard-coded to only use the 360!
Post edited September 22, 2016 by takezodunmer2005
Smannesman: Everything I encountered felt like a twelve year old had seen it in a movie and written it into the game.
To be fair, some of my favorite spoof movies, including especially all the Mel Brooks ones, have that kind of humor. And if I know one thing about all those movies, it's that you can't watch them when you're in a high brow mood. You can either embrace the nonsense, even the repetitive nonsense, or not watch those movies. Might be the same with Zenith – just a thought.

Can anyone assess how long the game approximately is?
Post edited September 23, 2016 by Vainamoinen