It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Play an epic RPG featuring Adol, a hero who is cursed and becomes a Monstrum. With his newfound powers, he must stop the Grimwald Nox from consuming the city. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is now available on GOG.COM!

We have a surprise for all fans of the Ys series. If you purchase Ys IX: Monstrum Nox on GOG.COM until 13th July 2021, 5 PM UTC, you will receive these DLCs free of charge:

• Melodies of the Macabre (OST Sampler)
• Monstrum Memoirs (Digital Mini Art Booklet)

That’s not all – also until 13th July 2021, 5 PM UTC when you buy Digital Deluxe Edition or Digital Ultimate edition you will receive these DLCs as gifts:

• Monstrum Memoirs (Digital Mini Art Booklet)
• Melodies of the Macabre (OST Sampler)
• Chains and Chansons Official Soundtrack
• Nails in the Coffin Digital Art Book, Ys IX Prequel: The Lost Sword Short Novel

The game’s premiere is also a great occasion to take a look back at the previous titles from the series. Until the 13th of July 2021, at 5 PM UTC, selected games from the Ys franchise will be available on GOG.COM with discounts reaching up to 75%.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Nor did NISA ever have the former producer from the XSEED/Falcom games, who was extremely anti-censorship.
You're conflating a single person's opinion with an entire company. The guy you're talking about clashed with his management pretty significantly, which ended up with them eventually removing him from the credits of the games he worked on (even while he was still at the company) and eventually him being fired. Almost nobody at XSEED who worked on any of Falcom's games is still there.
TomNuke: Do you understand what it means to be the majority owner?
I double checked my understanding and it does mean more than 50% ownership as the name suggests. That does not apply to Tencent in this case, although I'm sure they have quite a bit of influence as the largest shareholder and they might in the future acquire controlling or full ownership. Tencent also has a reputation of having a light touch even on companies they control or own. I think it is good to be aware of who owns (or is a large shareholder) in companies and it might be a factor for me in deciding to buy a game or not, but for me at least 20% ownership is quite different from 50% ownership (although in this case it was a deal betwen Tencent and Marvelous, not just Tencent buying 20% of shares).
joveian: I'm still not seeing how you get that order, though I guess trying to argue in any detail would involve too many spoilers for this forum. Personally, I think Origin before I and II makes the most sense.
Because there are key figures in Origins that also appear in both 1 and 2. Part of the story engagement is learning the history of Ys as an outsider and slowly learning who these key figures are and their role in Ys. If you know who they are after playing Origins, where you've played as the historical priests of Ys, then the mystery and foreshadowing behind their identities and the world are gone. You go from learning about a new, exciting world in your game to playing a diluted version of the prior game knowing everything and leaning on dated gameplay to keep you engaged instead. Might be OK for some, but jarring for others.

Seeing as 8 doesn't really reference 7 at all compared to Celceta, 5, and Napishtim, it'd make sense to play it chronologically since it's self-contained. But at the same time, 8 is a refined game on 7's engine. So by playing 8 after 7, I can get a better gameplay experience going from 7 to 8 than playing a downgraded Napishtim and then 7 afterwards.

It gets confusing with the orders since Origins is the most refined of Napishtim's engine, so it'll suck going from Celceta (7 engine) to Felghana (Napishtim engine). But I'm doing it this way since story, lore, and storytelling is more important to me than chronological order. Of course, this is all very minor in the grand scheme of things. If you enjoyed playing Origins before 1 and 2 OR 8 before 6 and 7, who am I to judge?
Post edited July 10, 2021 by MeowCanuck
low rated
Price almost makes me feel sorry for the weebs, but then I remember that they're weebs.
high rated
Crosmando: Price almost makes me feel sorry for the weebs, but then I remember that they're weebs.
Weebs? Did you step out of a timewarp? This is 2021, not 2001. Anime destroyed western cartoons, Manga destroyed western comics. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your kind lost the war a while back.
Well, it seems Nisa have understood some of their mistakes (even if it's mostly to answer critics more than anything else, or because it didn't sell there) : https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1351630/view/2958285593295925429
But that doesn't explain the price difference on GOG, and they don't even seem to have made those changes on it
Post edited July 11, 2021 by Ganyse
MeowCanuck:
Thanks, when you put it that way I see what you mean about I and II before Origin and I agree that is reasonable to call either way story order. There are quite a few hints and plenty of story in I and II that doesn't overlap with Origin so I'm not sure it will make all that much difference for most people, although since I did play Origin first it is hard to know what I and II would be like if I didn't.

I agree about gameplay being a good reason to play VIII later. I did play it later, if only because I had looked at the order before VIII was released and expected it to be at the end. It is fine that way, I just don't think that should be called story order. I think Seven is mentioned as much as any of the others in VIII. I also agree about Memories being needed early in the sequence for story reasons even though the improved gameplay makes others harder to play (not to give the wrong impression that the earlier games are horrible or anything, just not as nice as the laster ones other than for people who really like the difficulty of Origin/Oath/Ark).
Okay, why don't we have any GOG or NISA justifications so far? I'll repeat what many have said, I'll be punctual: NISA games, here on GOG, are three times, THREE TIMES more expensive than on Steam and Epic. Three!
Patias: Okay, why don't we have any GOG or NISA justifications so far? I'll repeat what many have said, I'll be punctual: NISA games, here on GOG, are three times, THREE TIMES more expensive than on Steam and Epic. Three!
With the exception of Chronicles that I have on Steam, I bought almost all Ys here and had the intention of buying the others too. However at this price, I'll have to buy it again on Steam, at least the ones that are published by Nis America. The only one I'm going to buy on GOG now is Memories of Celceta.
high rated
Should we buy anything from NIS America even on Steam, though?

They've shown that they do not care unless an issue damages their revenues or public image. They've only fixed prices on Steam for two countries (out of several ones having regional pricing removed), because these two countries had managed to flood the whole Steam forum and NISA's Twitter with complaints. NISA has a track record of screwed releases, including the lack of an artbook and soundtrack for early buyers of the Digital Deluxe edition of Trails of Cold Steel IV on Steam, release delays of Trails of Cold Steel III Digital Deluxe Edition on GOG and their double screw-up with Ys VIII, when they had to redo both the translation and the PC port.

I know that Trails of Cold Steel III-IV and Ys IX share the same no-DRM executables across Steam and GOG, but this issue is rather about how they treat us. Buying from Steam doesn't solve this. I suggest doing the following:

- Refrain from buying NIS America games from everywhere for the time being. I believe all of us have huge backlogs and options on which game to buy.
- Complain on Steam forums, on NISA's Twitter & Discord (their CM, Justin, asks you to send complaints to his DM, but doesn't actually read the messages, so better doing it publicly). Don't be rude, though.

Sorry if this post looks salty, but I'm extremely disappointed.
Post edited July 24, 2021 by SkyKoala
SkyKoala: Should we buy anything from NIS America even on Steam, though?

They've shown that they do not care unless an issue damages their revenues or public image. They've only fixed prices on Steam for two countries (out of several ones having regional pricing removed), because these two countries had managed to flood the whole Steam forum and NISA's Twitter with complaints. NISA has a track record of screwed releases, including the lack of an artbook and soundtrack for early buyers of the Digital Deluxe edition of Trails of Cold Steel IV on Steam, release delays of Trails of Cold Steel III Digital Deluxe Edition on GOG and their double screw-up with Ys VIII, when they had to redo both the translation and the PC port.

I know that Trails of Cold Steel III-IV and Ys IX share the same no-DRM executables across Steam and GOG, but this issue is rather about how they treat us. Buying from Steam doesn't solve this. I suggest doing the following:

- Refrain from buying NIS America games from everywhere for the time being. I believe all of us have huge backlogs and options on which game to buy.
- Complain on Steam forums, on NISA's Twitter & Discord (their CM, Justin, asks you to send complaints to his DM, but doesn't actually read the messages, so better doing it publicly). Don't be rude, though.

Sorry if this post looks salty, but I'm extremely disappointed.
No, your post don't have any salty, you are 100% correct. What NISA are making is a shame. They don't deserve our money!

I don't no why Falcom transfered your games license to NISA, Xseed are 1.00000x better.
Post edited July 30, 2021 by Patias
Patias: I don't no why Falcom transfered your games license to NISA, Xseed are 1.00000x better.
Gave NF a better contract than XSeed and had a higher marketing budget. Plus, all of the XSeed people who worked on earlier Sky, CS, and Ys titles have left already like Lipschultz and Avery. I don't think they're the same company anymore. There are also questionable decisions I'm not sure about, especially their NMH ports and Sakuna not coming here recently.

The only external JP-focused publisher here with a clean record are Playism and Retroism. Everyone else has made some sort of recent translation liberties fans disliked or got themselves into some recent controversy. Granted, there are some localization mistakes that I think are reasonable, but some hardcore weebs also treat Japanese as some sacred language that no one can take any translation liberties with while not knowing they're under the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Post edited July 31, 2021 by MeowCanuck
Push...

I wanted to re-download my "soundtrack extras" for for pre-ordering the "Ys IX: Monstrum Nox Digital Deluxe Edition".

ALL links to those pre-order extras are GONE. NONE is still there. 7 extras gone???

Is that a personal glitch in my OWN matrix or have other users the same problem?
Anime-BlackWolf: Push...

I wanted to re-download my "soundtrack extras" for for pre-ordering the "Ys IX: Monstrum Nox Digital Deluxe Edition".

ALL links to those pre-order extras are GONE. NONE is still there. 7 extras gone???

Is that a personal glitch in my OWN matrix or have other users the same problem?
They are missing from my library too. I can still see the extras on Galaxy, but I get a server error when I try to download them.
Post edited November 10, 2021 by Grargar
Anime-BlackWolf: Push...

Grargar: They are missing from my library too. I can still see the extras on Galaxy, but I get a server error when I try to download them.
Maybe the offline installers got bugged again? I Remember it happened last month too with lots of installers for games disappearing
You should probably contact support and report it.
Might as well check my library and see if anything is missing.
Post edited November 10, 2021 by alexandros050