It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A legendary comeback to take earth back.

<span class="bold">X-COM Classic Bundle</span>, a pack containing five games that set the bar for both tactical and chaotic extraterrestrial warfare, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 75% launch discount. Scavenging the bundle for individual parts grants you a 50% discount on each one.

Is there any gamer left on the planet still unfamiliar with the X-COM legacy? Sure, the organization that was put together when the alien threat reared its ugly head was a project largely kept secret for global security reasons, but the games chronicling its exploits made quite a splash. And for good reason.

When alien invaders do come knocking at Earth's door again, this is what every stalwart protector should have studied in order to prepare themselves for any possible scenario. It's all in here: The tactical, close-combat encounters with alien intruders coming from the far-away corners of space, forcing X-COM to build a <span class="bold">UFO Defense</span>. The extensive research on alien technology that helped scientists understand how to fight back the <span class="bold">Terror from the Deep</span> that emerged from our unexplored oceans. The deep-space fighting against the advancing alien forces that called for a highly-skilled <span class="bold">Interceptor</span>. The desperate fight of a single scientist using scavenged alien technology to clear the streets from aliens as a brutal <span class="bold">Enforcer</span>. But did we ever manage to fully cancel the <span class="bold">Apocalypse</span> and secure our little corner in the galaxy? That is yet to be determined, commander.

Fight the alien forces across five games that (re)defined entire genres in the <span class="bold">X-COM Classic Bundle</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 75% bundle discount and the 50% individual discounts will last until April 5, 13:59 BST / 5:59 AM PDT / 8:59 AM EDT.
wyrenn: I suggest anyone picking this up check out OpenXcom. It makes the first two games even better!
Thanks, I don't think anyone had mentioned that yet.
IwubCheeze: Go figure, I buy Xenonauts from the insomnia sale wanting to play a game like X-COM:EU and what do you know? Here it is...........
Primo_Victoria: I'd rather play Xenonauts tbh.
After messing around with Xenonauts for a few days, I'm inclined to agree to agree with you. So far, I've been finding the pacing a lot better in Xenonauts. In EU, I tended to rush straight for laser weaponry, ballistic weapons didn't always see any use. The inclusion of shields and shotguns are excellent additions to the arsenal and I've made heavy use of them breaching downed UFOs. Interceptor combat is a lot more interesting and sees more use. I never liked tailing a UFO in EU but you had to do it if you wanted to salvage more stuff.

Managing cash also seems to be a bit harder in Xenonauts but that might be because I screwed up some of my spending. I don't think I should have built 6 Foxtrots as early as I did (2 Foxies and 4 Condors should have been okay) :( I'm also questioning the wisdom of building an additional 2 radar towers right at the start of the game. Oh well.......
Coincidentally, there's one or two amusing X-COM anecdotes in a comment thread I just read, starting here. (For context, part of the episode of the podcast the comments are for was a guy relating a one-in-a-million-chance AD&D story, so someone decided to relate their own one-in-a-million-chance classic X-COM story.)
Do note that if you are using up-to-date Firefox, you may have to mute the tab, as (due to a Firefox bug introduced recently) the embedded podcast starts playing automatically for many people as soon as the page loads, with no way to stop it.
is it a bug or is the bundle price incorrect?

i know there is usually 1% difference due to regional pricing.. as they say...75% is usually 74% ..but in this case 75% actually means 73%?

we are slowly creeping down soon 75% off will actually mean 70% lol

i still went and purchased it ..but i still think it a bit nuts how nobody even mentioned this weird percentage discount pricing structure...if it was in the UK it would not be allowed full stop by law...

just saying 75% should mean 75% if there is regional issues with price then label the page with 50% / 73% otherwise it just looks illegal.

just my 2 cents which will get ignored :D
Post edited March 31, 2016 by HornyRhino
OMG OMG OMG! Original X-COM games on GOG! This is a great day. Instabuy.
Son of a bitch gog, thanks for negating yet another game series from my steam library!
Yet another game series goes into my de-steamed category!...
Questions:

What versions are UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep?
Like... DOS(box)/ Windows? Floppy or CD?

I don't see this info on the store page nor in this thread.
Thanks in advance.
I otherwise liked the first X-Com game, but I recall disliking the tactical ground missions. They were too slow and time-consuming, with too much micromanagement. Like if one of your soldiers got spooked, he'd drop all his belongings to the ground and run off... Then you needed to guide him by hand back to his stuff, and actually pick them up and equip them on him again. There there, let me wipe your nose too and change your diapers.

And also the "bad luck" element, e.g. sometimes the enemy killing most of your crew with one lucky shot, or something. Sigh.

Maybe I'll try it again at some point.... I just stopped playing it before because I couldn't stand those land battles.
Post edited April 01, 2016 by timppu
samok79: Questions:

What versions are UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep?
Like... DOS(box)/ Windows? Floppy or CD?

I don't see this info on the store page nor in this thread.
Thanks in advance.
They are DOSBox games. Also, at 19MB and 48MB installers, I'd hope they are CD versions of the games rather than floppy disc versions but I haven't checked. I think I'll be running them via OpenXcom anyway, so I'll just be extracting the data files from the installers.
Primo_Victoria: I'd rather play Xenonauts tbh.
IwubCheeze: After messing around with Xenonauts for a few days, I'm inclined to agree to agree with you. So far, I've been finding the pacing a lot better in Xenonauts. In EU, I tended to rush straight for laser weaponry, ballistic weapons didn't always see any use. The inclusion of shields and shotguns are excellent additions to the arsenal and I've made heavy use of them breaching downed UFOs. Interceptor combat is a lot more interesting and sees more use. I never liked tailing a UFO in EU but you had to do it if you wanted to salvage more stuff.

Managing cash also seems to be a bit harder in Xenonauts but that might be because I screwed up some of my spending. I don't think I should have built 6 Foxtrots as early as I did (2 Foxies and 4 Condors should have been okay) :( I'm also questioning the wisdom of building an additional 2 radar towers right at the start of the game. Oh well.......
If you don't make a bunch of mistakes in the early game, you're playing wrong, :)
HunchBluntley: Coincidentally, there's one or two amusing X-COM anecdotes in a comment thread I just read, starting here. (For context, part of the episode of the podcast the comments are for was a guy relating a one-in-a-million-chance AD&D story, so someone decided to relate their own one-in-a-million-chance classic X-COM story.)
Do note that if you are using up-to-date Firefox, you may have to mute the tab, as (due to a Firefox bug introduced recently) the embedded podcast starts playing automatically for many people as soon as the page loads, with no way to stop it.
Great story at that link, thanks for sharing.
Luned: Isn't TFTD the one with the research bug? Where if you researched one particular captured alien too early you'd never be able to complete the final mission?
Yes unfortunately. The research tree for TFTD is a mess. I highly recommend using a walkthrough for research.
timppu: I otherwise liked the first X-Com game, but I recall disliking the tactical ground missions. They were too slow and time-consuming, with too much micromanagement. Llike if one of your soldiers got spooked, he'd drop all his belongings to the ground and run off... Then you needed to guide him by hand back to his stuff, and actually pick them up and equip them on him again. There there, let me wipe your nose too and change your diapers.

And also the "bad luck" element, e.g. sometimes the enemy killing most of your crew with one lucky shot, or something. Sigh.

Maybe I'll try it again at some point.... I just stopped playing it before because I couldn't stand those land battles.
Tip
Get a officer with high morale/bravery
captain or higher rank and panic will happen less often.

The only problem is if your officer gets killed or heavy vounded the whole squad woud almost always panic
so guard that officer very heavy.
Post edited March 31, 2016 by Lodium
The first X-Com game, along with the original Master of Orion, where the first two video games I ever owned, and they're both still in my top 5 of all time.
instabuy.....nuff said