It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A legendary comeback to take earth back.

<span class="bold">X-COM Classic Bundle</span>, a pack containing five games that set the bar for both tactical and chaotic extraterrestrial warfare, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 75% launch discount. Scavenging the bundle for individual parts grants you a 50% discount on each one.

Is there any gamer left on the planet still unfamiliar with the X-COM legacy? Sure, the organization that was put together when the alien threat reared its ugly head was a project largely kept secret for global security reasons, but the games chronicling its exploits made quite a splash. And for good reason.

When alien invaders do come knocking at Earth's door again, this is what every stalwart protector should have studied in order to prepare themselves for any possible scenario. It's all in here: The tactical, close-combat encounters with alien intruders coming from the far-away corners of space, forcing X-COM to build a <span class="bold">UFO Defense</span>. The extensive research on alien technology that helped scientists understand how to fight back the <span class="bold">Terror from the Deep</span> that emerged from our unexplored oceans. The deep-space fighting against the advancing alien forces that called for a highly-skilled <span class="bold">Interceptor</span>. The desperate fight of a single scientist using scavenged alien technology to clear the streets from aliens as a brutal <span class="bold">Enforcer</span>. But did we ever manage to fully cancel the <span class="bold">Apocalypse</span> and secure our little corner in the galaxy? That is yet to be determined, commander.

Fight the alien forces across five games that (re)defined entire genres in the <span class="bold">X-COM Classic Bundle</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 75% bundle discount and the 50% individual discounts will last until April 5, 13:59 BST / 5:59 AM PDT / 8:59 AM EDT.
Ook I bought it, even if.. I'll probably never play that much Xcom.
(also there are the 2 new official games and all the unofficial ones)
Go figure, I buy Xenonauts from the insomnia sale wanting to play a game like X-COM:EU and what do you know? Here it is...........
tremere110: UFO had a bug that automatically resets your difficulty to the easiest level. It was never officially fixed (there exists a community fix though).
Does the universal patch fix this ?

Edit : I got my answer here :) (answer which is "no")
Post edited March 31, 2016 by Splatsch
IwubCheeze: Go figure, I buy Xenonauts from the insomnia sale wanting to play a game like X-COM:EU and what do you know? Here it is...........
I'd rather play Xenonauts tbh.
Holy f...! Finally! Thank you GOG!
awesome
Andremop:
tremere110: UFO had a bug that automatically resets your difficulty to the easiest level. It was never officially fixed (there exists a community fix though).

TFTD had ridiculously long two part missions. It also had Lobstermen. You know - the guys that could take a direct hit from a nuke and keep on ticking. It also had flying Chryssalids - fortunately balanced by the fact they almost never occurred on terror missions with civilians.
Hmm, strange, I never really had a problem with lobster man, by the time we face them I believe you already have access to sonic blasta rifles, that eases things a little. Capturing them alive is also a good tactic, they're not very skilled shooters, I believe.

By Chryssalids you mean the Tentaculat, right? Yeah, with their 99 Time Units they're a pain. But, again, by the time you face them, you probably have the Molecular Control option, which makes them manageble.

The 2 part missions though, I give you that. They're hard and worse, hard and boring. And they have what I think is the worst enemy in the game, the Bio-Drone. Those things shoot 3 times per turn, are skilled marksmen, fly and explode when they die.

Hmm, like I said, it's not an easy game, but in my experience it gets easier with time. Molecular control and armors makes your squad almost invincible by the end of the game.
Andremop: I never understood why Terror from the Deep is considered "the difficult one".

To me it was easier, especially because they fixed the terrible "ambushes" outside your ship that can happen in the first one.

I started with TFTD, played it a lot, finished it multiple times on multiple difficulties, and then jumped to UFO Defense, and, shortly, I just couldn't continue playing it.
You just hope you don't get those terror missions inside a cargo/cruise ship, god, those were awful!

TFTD had ridiculously long two part missions. It also had Lobstermen. You know - the guys that could take a direct hit from a nuke and keep on ticking. It also had flying Chryssalids - fortunately balanced by the fact they almost never occurred on terror missions with civilians.
Isn't TFTD the one with the research bug? Where if you researched one particular captured alien too early you'd never be able to complete the final mission?
Strangely I’ve played new X-Com (2012-2016), Xenonauts, UFO: Extraterrestrials, Mary Kate & Ashley Visit Area 51, the UFO trilogy Aftermarth/Aftershock/Afterlight, but never the original X-Com games. I hope the interface is still serviceable!
markrichardb: Mary Kate & Ashley Visit Area 51
The what now? O_o
markrichardb: I hope the interface is still serviceable!
It's been a few years, but I used to play XCOM every now and again and it never felt outdate / cumbersome. Likewise, I've played other older games and have had a hard time getting into them BECAUSE the interface seems antiquated. Hopefully your experience is the same! Well, the XCOM one - I don't wish that others have a hard time going back to certain classics as well ;)

markrichardb: Mary Kate & Ashley Visit Area 51
Is this like, really a thing? And if it is, and turnbased tactics as well... where can I get a copy?!?!
Andremop: The 2 part missions though, I give you that. They're hard and worse, hard and boring. And they have what I think is the worst enemy in the game, the Bio-Drone. Those things shoot 3 times per turn, are skilled marksmen, fly and explode when they die.
Yes, two part base attacking missions - the most boring part of TFTD for me. That was the reason why I loved more first UFO instead of TFTD.
Ixamyakxim: Is this like, really a thing? And if it is, and turnbased tactics as well... where can I get a copy?!?!
Not yet. Some people believe in deities, the human soul, family, or their country. Fools. There is only Mary Kate & Ashley. Believe in them, and they will come. You’ll see. You’ll all see.
I suggest anyone picking this up check out OpenXcom. It makes the first two games even better!
tremere110:
Luned: Isn't TFTD the one with the research bug? Where if you researched one particular captured alien too early you'd never be able to complete the final mission?
Hmm, never heard of it, and I almost always research aliens first, it's still the most fascinating part of reseach :D

But, yeah, with a little research I found this:

"Note that it is unfortunately difficult to double check the validity of this bug at the present time, so this section has been intentionally left vague for now, but is left for the benefit of the that may experience it.

Most copies of the game do not recognise the Tasoth Commander as a legal alien (Although the alien/rank combination can still exist) and cannot be researched. If for whatever reason one does somehow appear on your research list, do not complete the research on it until after obtaining a Leviathan and the final mission launch button. Researching it will prevent these topics from being researched through normal means.

If you're unsure whether you'll face this bug or otherwise, update your game with the v2 patch if you are using the Dos version. The Collectors edition of TFTD is already updated to v2. "

I always played the CD version, so maybe that's fixed in it.