It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lynch is served.

<span class="bold">Virginia</span>, a trippy and surreal thriller that pulls you into a Lynchian fever dream and never lets go, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% launch discount!

A young boy goes missing from a secluded small town, straight in the American heartland. The two FBI agents assigned the case are confronted with tight-lipped suspects, bizarre findings, and horrors both real and imagined. Also a buffalo.

The 20% discount ends February 14, 2PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ixRoFx277QE
Post edited February 07, 2017 by maladr0Id
This is undoubtedly an unconventional game. For anyone looking for more insight on Virginia's silent storytelling and the strong influences of Twin Peaks and The X-Files in its style, here are some interesting reviews you can check out:

Eurogamer thinks this is a must-play experience that totally gets David Lynch.

Polygon celebrates the game's deviation from the norm and calls it powerful and original.

Jim Sterling isn't quite ready to name Virginia a classic but applauds the strong narrative and stirring soundtrack.

IGN enjoyed the calculated nuances that Virginia deftly weaves into its narrative and the cinematic show-don't-tell approach.
Post edited February 08, 2017 by maladr0Id
From the game page, this sounded interesting, but reading the posts here by people who have played it already, or at least the steamy demo, I'm quite puzzled how one contacts an investigation about a missing person without actually talking to the ever growing pool of suspects.

Going by all I've read in this thread so far, the game feels quite mislabelled under "Adventure" and "Action".
From what I've seen of it, definitely deserves a spot on my wishlist.
HypersomniacLive: From the game page, this sounded interesting, but reading the posts here by people who have played it already, or at least the steamy demo, I'm quite puzzled how one contacts an investigation about a missing person without actually talking to the ever growing pool of suspects.

Going by all I've read in this thread so far, the game feels quite mislabelled under "Adventure" and "Action".
It's not really like a "whodunit" but more about the mystery and the story of the main characters which will be explored through the game. Understanding everything without the characters even saying a word is part of the fun in it. It's really hard to explain. When I played the demo I wandered around (really slowly) noticed a spot, clicked on it and simply watched what happened. Sometimes the things that happened were interesting but nothing special. Soetimes the scenery or even the time it was set in changed just to reveal later that it was all a dream or happened before. I would never label this as a detective game. It's much more an experience of art, narration style with the atmosphere of Lynch, Twin Peaks and X-Files. Labeling the game under "Action" for sure is not correct. Even the walking is pretty slow.
high rated
Wishbone: So the reason they made a trailer that showed nothing of the game is that there is basically nothing to show?
Gersen: Well, You could say that the trailer is actually a pretty accurate demo of the game :P
I suppose that's what we get for asking when GOG will add more movies. ^_^
Intriguing. A shame it isn't for Linux.
HypersomniacLive: From the game page, this sounded interesting, but reading the posts here by people who have played it already, or at least the steamy demo, I'm quite puzzled how one contacts an investigation about a missing person without actually talking to the ever growing pool of suspects.

MarkoH01: It's not really like a "whodunit" but more about the mystery and the story of the main characters which will be explored through the game. Understanding everything without the characters even saying a word is part of the fun in it. It's really hard to explain. When I played the demo I wandered around (really slowly) noticed a spot, clicked on it and simply watched what happened. Sometimes the things that happened were interesting but nothing special. Soetimes the scenery or even the time it was set in changed just to reveal later that it was all a dream or happened before. I would never label this as a detective game. It's much more an experience of art, narration style with the atmosphere of Lynch, Twin Peaks and X-Files. Labeling the game under "Action" for sure is not correct. Even the walking is pretty slow.
thanks for the good and insightful review ^^ made me put it on my wishlist as it seems it as a type of game i might like
This game is very attractive to me as a Peakie that has watched the show many times. I don't want many spoilers, I'll just get it and play it as one of the first games on my next build. Now I am playing Feeble Files on an old laptop. My situation is even worse than before, so low requirements back-log first and this goes in wish-list together with Night in the Woods and Ghost of a Tale, and the other games I am most eager to play but cannot now.
I have read something about no speech and no text, which seems a weird choice to tell a story like this one. I won't play the FBI agent here and just wait to live the experience.
Thanks for bringing us a very interesting adventure!
Cecco: This game is very attractive to me as a Peakie that has watched the show many times.
And someone who cannot wait to see the next season I persume?

Cecco: I have read something about no speech and no text, which seems a weird choice to tell a story like this one. I won't play the FBI agent here and just wait to live the experience.
Instead of speech or text (although there is some text in it just not subtitles) they use gestures like nodding and such. Just to make that part a bit more clear.
cooL.

It's on GoG now, I'll whishlist it here for now. ^^
MarkoH01: It's not really like a "whodunit" but more about the mystery and the story of the main characters which will be explored through the game. Understanding everything without the characters even saying a word is part of the fun in it. It's really hard to explain. When I played the demo I wandered around (really slowly) noticed a spot, clicked on it and simply watched what happened. Sometimes the things that happened were interesting but nothing special. Soetimes the scenery or even the time it was set in changed just to reveal later that it was all a dream or happened before. I would never label this as a detective game. It's much more an experience of art, narration style with the atmosphere of Lynch, Twin Peaks and X-Files. Labeling the game under "Action" for sure is not correct. Even the walking is pretty slow.
Thanks for the additional info. It'd appear that approaching the game outside the labels of "Adventure - Action - Detective-mystery" is the best way to go; David Lynch, Twin Peaks, and Fargo, appeal to me, never was a fan of X-Files, but shouldn't be an issue. I'll check out the various links provided in this thread to see if I can form a better view/understanding of the game when I have some time on my hands.

VanishedOne: I suppose that's what we get for asking when GOG will add more movies. ^_^
Got a chuckle out of me, +1.
You mentioned Twin Peaks, which I've also heard about when people describe Alan Wake. If I loved Alan Wake, would Virginia be a good game to pick up?
maladr0Id: [lots of links]
Marioface5: You mentioned Twin Peaks, which I've also heard about when people describe Alan Wake. If I loved Alan Wake, would Virginia be a good game to pick up?
Well, I've only played the opening segment of Alan Wake (first hour) so I can't comment on its merits. I can tell you this, though: Gameplay-wise, Alan and Virginia are worlds apart, since the former is a proper survival-horror affair and Virginia is more of an interactive drama experience.
To be honest, I think that aside from any similarities in the setting and the spooky/mysterious aspects in both narratives, these games are largely different. Having said that, Virginia is definitely worth a look, as long as you know what to expect :)
Post edited February 10, 2017 by maladr0Id
MarkoH01: And someone who cannot wait to see the next season I persume?

Instead of speech or text (although there is some text in it just not subtitles) they use gestures like nodding and such. Just to make that part a bit more clear.
I am re-watching it now, introducing my younger gf to it. I CAN wait, to watch it in the best way possible. Also, I don't have any social media account and stay clear from any spoiler.
It sounds awesome. If they really capture the spirit without making a silly copy or parody, that is great. I know that maybe with the new season coming there might be some bad imitators crawling out but I am granting some trust to Victoria. Hey I need to feel some hype too sometimes.
Virginia is an... interesting "game". I'd recommend to play it through in one session (it's just two hours long) and to keep it installed to play it again a few days later. It's almost impossible to understand what's going on in the game when you're playing it for the first time. It's best described as a game about a bison (which lives but needs to die), a bird (which dies but should live) and the color red.

And it's got an awesome soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQyWbewKnLw
Post edited February 13, 2017 by real.geizterfahr