It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is now available, DRM-free.

The Trine series returns to the magic of 2.5D with Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince! The three heroes of the best-selling adventure series are back, sent on a quest to retrieve the troubled young Prince Selius. Amadeus the Wizard, Pontius the Knight, and Zoya the Thief are joined together once again on a thrilling quest through fantastical fairytale landscapes teeming with danger.
I haven't been a console gamer in quite some time, but suddenly I know how most of you must feel.

$49.99US for a box and paper as part of a birthday gift to myself. I could've bought those cheaper and decorated them by hand.

And it's a single code for all 4 games - I already had the first three on Steam, so that's a bit of a waste.
Attachments:
box.jpg (42 Kb)
Can someone tell how exactly co-op implemented? LAN (like in Trine 1,2) possible?
Loger13: Can someone tell how exactly co-op implemented? LAN (like in Trine 1,2) possible?
I only play singleplayer, but there are various local and co-op modes. One of them is local singleplayer (I choose that). Right at the beginning of new game. I have steam copy, but at some point I plan to buy gog version too.
Post edited October 08, 2019 by BeatriceElysia
Loger13: Can someone tell how exactly co-op implemented? LAN (like in Trine 1,2) possible?
BeatriceElysia: I only play singleplayer, but there are various local and co-op modes. One of them is local singleplayer (I choose that).
Yeah; I watched a little of the developer stream earlier (2 HR employees and 1 designer -- all 3 in Finland). All 3 were sitting on a couch playing local co-op with controllers. Their interactions seemed natural and glitch-free.
TheMonkofDestiny: $49.99US for a box and paper as part of a birthday gift to myself. I could've bought those cheaper and decorated them by hand.
Birthday presents aren't about finding the cheapest deal, after all, so you needn't feel bad about getting yourself a treat.

Also I'd be very impressed if your finger-painted decorations on a brown cardboard box were as pretty as Trine 4's art; it's a beautiful game, so I'd expect no less from the box.

They commented on that in the stream BTW, and also that the scenes have so much detail that they feel like you notice new details on each playthough. One also said he's convinced that the artists have hidden little surprises here and there, so he's keeping an eye out for that (that was a random comment as a user, not a promise from the company, of course).

P.S. I noticed there were 30 people watching the Twitch side of the stream, but about 970 watching the Steam side of the same stream. The Steam stream apparently hadn't worked for the first hour, so that was after some minutes of people re-joining, distorting the numbers and no doubt the Steam side would have been even higher otherwise, but I was still surprised at that ratio (I don't watch streams a lot so maybe I'm just ignorant).
Post edited October 08, 2019 by faroot
BeatriceElysia: I only play singleplayer, but there are various local and co-op modes. One of them is local singleplayer (I choose that). Right at the beginning of new game. I have steam copy, but at some point I plan to buy gog version too.
Thanks, but this information did not give me anything. I need to know for sure, because I am not interested in the implementation of the coop mode with Galaxy. In Trine 1 and Trine 2 (I don’t know about Trine 3), by changing the configuration file, you could play co-op through a LAN.

*sigh* In general, instead of this ugly flawed and slow current design, it would be better if GOG made more detailed information about the supported multiplayer modes in descriptions. Unfortunately, no one thought of improving what really needs to be improved. *sigh*
BeatriceElysia: I only play singleplayer, but there are various local and co-op modes. One of them is local singleplayer (I choose that). Right at the beginning of new game. I have steam copy, but at some point I plan to buy gog version too.
Loger13: Thanks, but this information did not give me anything. I need to know for sure, because I am not interested in the implementation of the coop mode with Galaxy. In Trine 1 and Trine 2 (I don’t know about Trine 3), by changing the configuration file, you could play co-op through a LAN.
I see on steam a review about someone trying to co-op with their girlfriend who is on a laptop in the same room. So therefore, LAN local play is implemented.

Unfortunately that same review complained that it failed and they needed a bugfix. (They also posted the first steam Guide, about working around a missing Nvidia profile on laptops.)

A different review complained that shared-PC local co-op failed.

Some kind of local co-op was working on this morning's dev stream, so support isn't completely absent, but least for some people, there are bugs.

That's probably much better than if they just didn't implement what you want. Bugs often get fixed.

Edit: two posts in the steam pinned report-bugs thread say that online multiplayer is implemented but doesn't work for them.

While I'm at it, a number of people who couldn't start the game under Windows 7 fixed it by installing an old service pack they hadn't bothered with before (linked to by Trine devs), some other people fixed their problems by upgrading their GPU drivers. At least one person was really mad, but sometimes outrageous bugs aren't necessarily the fault of the game.

(Although this may be starting to sound like a lot of problems, I'm only hearing from people with problems, not from the ones where everything is fine. That's the "Self-selection" bias in statistics.)
Post edited October 09, 2019 by faroot
faroot: Birthday presents aren't about finding the cheapest deal, after all, so you needn't feel bad about getting yourself a treat.

Also I'd be very impressed if your finger-painted decorations on a brown cardboard box were as pretty as Trine 4's art; it's a beautiful game, so I'd expect no less from the box.
Maybe, but since I was the one buying myself gifts (which seems far more depressingly morose when written out like that) I had to limit myself so the outcome is a regrettable purchase when I could've cancelled the order and used part of the money to just buy the one game I didn't have.

Whether I happened to use fingerpaints or some other means of media, the point wasn't that I could accomplish something 'as pretty' (the art on the box's cover is nice, but it is not the processed effects-laden output seen in any of the games - not that it has to be either) but that I could've done such for significantly cheaper than paying the asking price (excluding the shipping charge of ~$4) for an empty plain white plastic DVD case and 4 pieces of paper (some of which have very little to look at on them at all) and still had the benefit of buying the game either here or through Steam.
faroot: Birthday presents aren't about finding the cheapest deal, after all, so you needn't feel bad about getting yourself a treat.

TheMonkofDestiny: Maybe, but since I was the one buying myself gifts (which seems far more depressingly morose when written out like that) I had to limit myself so the outcome is a regrettable purchase when I could've cancelled the order and used part of the money to just buy the one game I didn't have.

Whether I happened to use fingerpaints or some other means of media, the point wasn't that I could accomplish something 'as pretty' (the art on the box's cover is nice, but it is not the processed effects-laden output seen in any of the games - not that it has to be either) but that I could've done such for significantly cheaper than paying the asking price (excluding the shipping charge of ~$4) for an empty plain white plastic DVD case and 4 pieces of paper (some of which have very little to look at on them at all) and still had the benefit of buying the game either here or through Steam.
Well I was just trying to cheer you up. But if you're *determined* to be sad...

How about this:

Happy birthday* to you, happy birthday* to you, happy birthday* dear Monk of Destiny, happy birthday* to you!!!

(* no longer in copyright, public domain, so public performances are now legal.)

P.S. I didn't mean to seriously malign your media magic, I'm sure your art in your chosen medium of artistic creation is very nice.
Post edited October 09, 2019 by faroot
faroot: Well I was just trying to cheer you up. But if you're *determined* to be sad...

P.S. I didn't mean to seriously malign your media magic, I'm sure your art in your chosen medium of artistic creation is very nice.
I'm not a cheery individual, probably an undiagnosed personality disorder or something. I got the gist of what you were going for though and it's appreciated.

I didn't take it as an insult to my own ability to create art (I'm not deluded enough to believe I could accomplish something as clean looking as the art that is on the cover and in truth if it were sold by itself in a nice frame or just as a quality poster, I'd have bought that + the fourth game digitally and considered that to be money well spent) but more that I just didn't want to give the impression that I thought "man, for that price I could've done better myself".
high rated
TheMonkofDestiny: $49.99US for a box and paper as part of a birthday gift to myself. I could've bought those cheaper and decorated them by hand.

And it's a single code for all 4 games - I already had the first three on Steam, so that's a bit of a waste.
You can get in touch with our support ( support@frozenbyte.com ) to figure out some solutions, we appreciate the purchase and would rather you not feel disappointed, there's probably something we can do...

I can help tomorrow if I know what to ask for specifically - are you looking for a real LAN (Local Area Network) capabillity, or simply info on local co-op? Local co-op in general just works by plugging in extra controllers. Trine 1 might've had support for additional mice and keyboards but I don't think Trine 2 did...

I also don't think we ever truly supported LAN modes in Trine 1 or 2, but perhaps they worked with Hamachi or such software... That said, perhaps you're looking for the options.txt stuff? Here's what we have in Trine 4 %APPDATA%\Trine4\options.txt

setOption(networkModule, "UseLANOnly", false)
setOption(networkModule, "MasterServerIp", "[SERVER_IP]:27300")
setOption(networkModule, "MasterServerName", "[SERVER]:27300")
setOption(networkModule, "UseFixedPortRange", true)
setOption(networkModule, "FixedPortRangeStart", 27300)
setOption(networkModule, "FixedPortRangeEnd", 27315)
setOption(networkModule, "OverrideOnlineRegion", "")
setOption(networkModule, "FixedLocalAddress", "")
setOption(networkModule, "FixedExternalAddress", "")
setOption(networkModule, "AllowSteamConnections", true)
setOption(networkModule, "AllowNonSteamConnections", true)

Does that help? The thing is though that I'm unsure if these actually work, some of them might be leftovers from an earlier era - I can find out tomorrow though.

And to everyone else, thanks for the kind words and feedback! I'd love to do another Shadowgrounds too (maybe a Shadwen 2, too, but Shadowgrounds always has the fondest place in my heart for obvious reasons [my and the team's first game]). :)

FYI We're aware of some issues with GOG Achievements in Offline mode, so if you're planning to play the game Offline and care about Achievements, I'd advise not to do that just yet. We're working on a fix. Also looking into the online issues, seems like some users are encountering lobby issues (not being able to join), that's probably our #1 upcoming fix once we figure out why this is happening...

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince
Post edited October 09, 2019 by JoelFB
JoelFB: You can get in touch with our support ( support@frozenbyte.com ) to figure out some solutions, we appreciate the purchase and would rather you not feel disappointed, there's probably something we can do...
Thanks Joel.
high rated
Hi all

I'm not really the resident net game expert, but as far as I can tell from the code, setting either (or both) of UseLANLobbies or UseLANOnly to true in options.txt should enable LAN instead of Internet multiplayer. It's used by us during development, but hasn't really been tested for public release, so it may have some pretty rough edges.

-JLarja / Frozenbyte
low rated
Played the first two and while it wasn't ununjoyable, it wasn't unforgetable for me so I'll pass.

But good luck to the devs!
low rated
Zoidberg: Played the first two and while it wasn't ununjoyable, it wasn't unforgetable for me so I'll pass.

interesting use quadriple negation, if I can be OT.
low rated
Zoidberg: Played the first two and while it wasn't ununjoyable, it wasn't unforgetable for me so I'll pass.

BeatriceElysia: interesting use quadriple negation, if I can be OT.
Ahahah! True! Sorry 'bout that. I didn't want to be too negative in my use of words so I added more negations. XP