It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Big in Japan.

<span class="bold">Throne of Darkness</span>, a fast-paced ARPG where you slaughter hordes of exotic demons with your well-trained samurai, is now available DRM-free, exclusively on GOG.com.

Combine powerful warlords with demonic influence and trouble will soon follow. When the most prominent shogun surrenders to darkness, only a handful of heroic samurai is left standing against the evil that now threatens to engulf the land of Yamato. Seven distinct classes, tons of neat loot, and massive demonic armies that can't wait to meet your mouse pointer make this a real treasure for lovers of Diablo-style gameplay.
Beautiful, I have been waiting for this game for a long time. Now I'm too hoping it will work on WinXP.
Klumpen0815: Thanks for the offer but I stopped buying physical since I need all of the few space I have in my apartment for musical instruments and sports gear, big boxes are especially out of the question and I guess the German version was cut anyway.
Quite understandable, I'm trying to get rid of it for more space, too! ;)

EDIT: And it seems you are right about the censoring. I didn't even consider the possibility that they'd change anything in a game like this, but I found some evidence that there is a German version in which the blood was painted green for whatever reason. No idea if that's true for the version I own, it's been ages since I last played it, but that's beyond silly.
Post edited May 27, 2017 by Leroux
I have been waiting for this for a good while this is great that it is finally on GoG.Thankyou.
Sargothe: Love seeing this game on here, I still have my disks. Is this the 1.2.18 version, or does it have the needed 1.3.2 beta patch?
Thiev: it's the latest official patch - 1.2.18
Thank you very much
One of my favorites from back in the day. Even though I still own the disc version (which still works great), I always wanted it DRM-free on here! Great job GOG!
Awesome! Never got a chance to play it but was always curious about it. Numerous people have recommended it to me over the years, will gladly finally give it a try.
tfishell: I'd be curious to hear from someone who plays the GOG release and finds it enjoyable.
Here are my first impressions of the game so far:

First, I'm digging it, but then again, I do enjoy older Diablo-style CRPGs. The game is fairly intuitive, control-wise, and if you're familiar with Diablo's keyboard shortcuts you'll feel somewhat at home here. Apparently more keyboard shortcuts were implemented in the beta/unofficial 1.3.2 patch, but the patcher for some reason won't work with GOG's release.

The "gimmick" here is that you've got several characters with you, from different classes (including a wizard and an archer), and you're relying on the AI to back you up in combat. Surprisingly enough it's quite decent, but there are times where they'll be standing around doing nothing while enemies are hacking away at their health, especially if they're being picked off by ranged fire. What's reallly nice is the Daimyo system, which allows you to swap characters in and out on the fly. There are also tactics and formations in the game too, adding a little bit of extra depth to combat.

The main issue is that, as others have noted, it can get quite chaotic with swarms of enemies, and you'll often lose track of where you are in relation to everyone else. On top of that you'll have to do a tad bit of micromanagaing to ensure that your squadmates aren't killed while you're distracted from figuring out where you are in the melee. Given the heavy emphasis on squad and tactical combat I actually wonder if this sort of game would have been better suited as an Infinity Engine-style RPG, instead of something like Diablo. Then again, I've read that the team behind this game included many who worked on the original Diablo, so perhaps its design shouldn't come as a surprise.

All in all, I would recommend it, if you're into the more old fashioned direct Diablo-style RPGs like Kult: Heretic Kingoms or Nox.
Klumpen0815: I have a dual-boot setup with Linux primary and a 100% offline Windows XP which isn't too uncommon.

It is not foolish wanting to know whether this store's package of a Windows XP game from 2001 does actually run on the game it was made for and even if not, they could just as well include the original files what they already neglected to do with Turok, Grandia 2, Noctropolis and probably others as well.
Will GOG installers for Master of Magic or Wing Commander work in DOS? That is essentially the question you're asking.

Any chance someone can figure out how to get the 1.32 BETA patch working with this?
Post edited May 28, 2017 by paladin181
Klumpen0815: I have a dual-boot setup with Linux primary and a 100% offline Windows XP which isn't too uncommon.

It is not foolish wanting to know whether this store's package of a Windows XP game from 2001 does actually run on the game it was made for and even if not, they could just as well include the original files what they already neglected to do with Turok, Grandia 2, Noctropolis and probably others as well.
paladin181: Will GOG installers for Master of Magic or Wing Commander work in DOS? That is essentially the question you're asking.
Not really, because unlike DOS, Win XP is still widely used. In fact, I suspect among fans of classic PC games, such as the GOG crowd, older versions of Windows are more common, compared to the average PC user/ gamer.

And it actually seems likely that many of GOGs DOS releases could theoretically work directly in DOS, since they're often just the original versions bundled with DOS Box or some similar emulator software.

They could just make the original XP versions available as an extra, as Klumpen suggested, especially considering that most of these games are quite small by today's standards.