It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's about forking time!

Ransome Unbeeped is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
He may not be handsome, but he's *beeping* Ransome! The potty-mouthed clown of Thimbleweed Park, who's consistently amusing but never amused, is finally getting un-censored in this very unwholesome DLC. Let his mouth run wild, unrestrained by those annoying *beeping* sounds, which were added in a misguided effort to preserve his political correctness.
A fool's errand, that was.
high rated
I used to dislike a company for "buy extra T-shirt for your character" DLCs but these days, seriously who cares. You either buy the game itself, game and DLCs, nothing at all or wait for GOTY version which has it all for a price acceptable to you.
Options are limitless.

Terrible Toybox is a small indie developer who I highly doubt would censor a dialogue just because they can release it later uncensored for $$$. The belief supported by Ron Gilbert's blog post:
https://grumpygamer.com/ransome_unbeeped

I have bought most games as either vanilla versions or GOTY and made an exception only in 2 cases because I adored the game, wanted more of it and wanted to support the developer. In the end, it sends a signal too (= I'm not interested in buying DLCs once I am done with the game).

It's sad to see so much vitriol for something like this.

-------------------

Anyway, I am glad GOG still offers DRM-free content and its catalog includes really a diverse content. Have a great day, people.
I'm not bothered about the price, the thing that does annoy me about the DLC though is the fact that I will have to remember to enable it each time. Not all of us have kids.
high rated
OMG people are getting upset about this? Gamers really are the worst.

I hate DRM, I hate loot boxes, I hate day one DLC and all of that stuff, it's the reason I buy nearly all my games on GOG.com. But a $1.99 DLC to unbleep a character and people shitting themselves over it? Wow. You don't have to buy it, the base game is exactly as originally intended and if you are someone who wants this it's cheap.

I won't tell you stop complaining but I will tell you we're judging you when you do!
Starmaker: Spoiler alert, turns out it's hollow and rotten. *Beep* me for caring. Well *beep* you too, Ron Gilbert.
Story-wise I suppose I thought the ending was basically alright, but I still absolutely loved the ending of the game. In short, I thought the execution was marvelous even if the idea might've been less appealing.

I had two issues with Thimbleweed Park:

1. Annoying in-jokes were disabled by default. This is a pretty major gripe. (Incidentally, they might tie in with the ending. Like the line for if you try to go beyond the bus stop. Without annoying in-jokes the ending might appear more random and less connected to the game as a whole.)
2. The poking fun at Sierra jokes seemed to overstay their welcome. Laughing once or twice at the fact that you can die in them and how it was simultaneously self-deprecating was enough for me.
Telika: Just to situate. Have you played and liked/disliked Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion, and Day of the Tentacle ?
Starmaker: Zak: yes, liked
Maniac Mansion: no
Day of the Tentacle: remake only, liked
(Monkey Island 1 ans 2: loved to bits, too bad there were no more games in the series)

Really it's all about the ending. I instabought Thimbleweed Park, found out it wouldn't run on my integrated graphics card, then stayed up until 11 pm at work playing. Loved the art, loved the writing, loved the atmosphere. Normally, I strongly prefer an environment I can live in (so, RPGs, metroidvanias, Quest for Glory), but their "summer night in a weird-ass town" was so brilliantly authentic I got goosebumps. I picked up that one speck of dust and HOLY SHIT YOU CAN DO THAT IN AN ADVENTURE GAME
WHOA

That was the end of my first day; I biked home and couldn't stop thinking about the game, the characters, the plot threads, how it all would fit together; I woke up my nongaming friend and insisted on telling her about the game at 1 am. I was observing a beautiful intricate mechanism from the outside and wondering how it all fit together under the hood (best game ever? BESTEST GAME EVER ZOMG YESSSSS)

Spoiler alert, turns out it's hollow and rotten. *Beep* me for caring. Well *beep* you too, Ron Gilbert.
Ok. Thanks for the warning. Sometimes being warned about it makes the rest of the game, or film, enjoyable. Like, knowing about the unresolved cliffhangers of Undying, Manhunter:SF, XIII, etc... Or knowing to bail out 10 minutes before the ending of "The Prestige", "I: Origins", etc...

Mostly a matter of informed expectations.
Frenzie: ...
Is there a particular reason this was flagged as a reply to me? :S
high rated
tedeee: and even if it is a joke, it's a dick move...
It's not a joke. Why is it so hard to understand?

tedeee: now one could say it was never an option in the first place?
They never intended to do that in the first place.

tedeee: if you accept trends like this from developers it will lead to worse.
Why are you so frustrated when once in a lifetime a developer has the cockiness listening to their fans?

Telika: Mostly a matter of informed expectations.
Yes, that is very true.
I often skim (bad) reviews of a game. If a lot of them say for instance "game's too short" I know what to expect and have a good chance enjoying a great experience!

Starmaker: Spoiler alert, turns out it's hollow and rotten. *Beep* me for caring. Well *beep* you too, Ron Gilbert.
Telika: Ok. Thanks for the warning.
Although Starmaker said enjoying MI2 I think someone's blocking the ending from his/her memory :-)
tedeee: and even if it is a joke, it's a dick move...
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: It's not a joke. Why is it so hard to understand?

tedeee: now one could say it was never an option in the first place?
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: They never intended to do that in the first place.

tedeee: if you accept trends like this from developers it will lead to worse.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Why are you so frustrated when once in a lifetime a developer has the cockiness listening to their fans?

Telika: Mostly a matter of informed expectations.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Yes, that is very true.
I often skim (bad) reviews of a game. If a lot of them say for instance "game's too short" I know what to expect and have a good chance enjoying a great experience!

Telika: Ok. Thanks for the warning.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Although Starmaker said enjoying MI2 I think someone's blocking the ending from his/her memory :-)
I think you're missing the point here.

Let's take Witcher 3 as an example. All of the "small" DLC for that game is free. The only DLC that is paid is story DLC, which each piece of comprises the length of entire other games. Heck, the free DLC for that game might have taken as many development resources as all of Thimbleweed Park.

The contention isn't that making small DLC is free. Nothing is free. But the contention is that charging for trivial DLC is worse customer service than not charging for it. Hence the term "dick move".

I also stand by my statement that this affects my decision whether to ultimately buy the game, and it leans me from on the fence and considering a yes, to on the fence and considering a no. You are free to disagree with that, but my purchasing decisions are mine to make for any reason I want, as are anybody else's. If I want to allocate my money towards buying from developers that don't act like dicks, then I am free to do so.

$.02.
high rated
barleyguy: But the contention is that charging for trivial DLC is worse customer service than not charging for it. Hence the term "dick move".
The ONLY reason this DLC exists is because fans demanded it. Yeah. Clearly a dick move by the developers.

barleyguy: I think you're missing the point here.
Of course you can compare TWP to any other game.
But did you just seriously compare the pricing of an AAA game like The Witcher 3 with a small indie game like TWP?
How does this make any sense?

It's only $1.99 and you'll support game devs trying to make a living so they can keep making games.
high rated
Frenzie: ...
SirPrimalform: Is there a particular reason this was flagged as a reply to me? :S
I have no idea what you're talking about, lol. Maybe I clicked reply on the "wrong" post? I'd expect only the proper quote reference to matter but I guess I'd be wrong on this forum.

barleyguy: Let's take Witcher 3 as an example. All of the "small" DLC for that game is free. The only DLC that is paid is story DLC, which each piece of comprises the length of entire other games. Heck, the free DLC for that game might have taken as many development resources as all of Thimbleweed Park.

The contention isn't that making small DLC is free. Nothing is free. But the contention is that charging for trivial DLC is worse customer service than not charging for it. Hence the term "dick move".
Note that they already made two "'small' DLC" available for free. Except they were simply called updates. So by your metric we're still on +1 nice.

+1 arcades
+1 in-game hint system
-1 paid-for swearing DLC
Starmaker: No they wouldn't.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Yes. They remove it from their wishlist, threatening to not buy it in the future. As if they would have ever bought it without 70% discount...
Technically... I usually remove games from my wishlist by buying them. Just to try-and-fail putting a positive spin on what was said.
Post edited March 03, 2018 by Maighstir
high rated
Frenzie:

+1 arcades
+1 in-game hint system
-1 paid-for swearing DLC
+1 They have added the possibility to allow talking between playable characters (additional recording sessions after game release)
+/-0 in-jokes option
+1 Russian language support
-1 THIS version (DRM-free/GOG) is kind of a lesser version (no achievements albeit nearly every other release got them)
Post edited March 03, 2018 by Sir_Kill_A_Lot
low rated
barleyguy: But the contention is that charging for trivial DLC is worse customer service than not charging for it. Hence the term "dick move".
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: The ONLY reason this DLC exists is because fans demanded it. Yeah. Clearly a dick move by the developers.

barleyguy: I think you're missing the point here.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Of course you can compare TWP to any other game.
But did you just seriously compare the pricing of an AAA game like The Witcher 3 with a small indie game like TWP?
How does this make any sense?

It's only $1.99 and you'll support game devs trying to make a living so they can keep making games.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot:
it's a perfectly fair comparison of one game to another.
considering the price of both games weighted against day one content and quality, TP is already more expensive than it should be. now whether or not things were added in deliberately late or as a request, this kind of content (language support, character interaction, side games, censoring options) is rather standard fare, and if anything makes TP look even more expensive. i have 1000+ games on GOG (i'm ashamed to admit that much) and there is a plethora of games here that get far larger updates for free even years after release.

now don't get me wrong, i am not someone who believes content should be free, but when content, that is normally part of a game, becomes DLC?
Post edited March 03, 2018 by tedeee
high rated
tedeee: now don't get me wrong, i am not someone who believes content should be free, but when content, that is normally part of a game, becomes DLC?
But it is not supposed to be part of the normal game since you ARE supposed to play the censored version.
This was always the idea of this character when he was designed that way.

They could have included the changes in the main game but why make it unnecessary easy? Fans following their development process on the development blog wanted to have such option and even requested paid DLC. Some people now complaining (a lot of not even having bought the game yet) won't change the developers decision which were based on community feedback to begin with.

tedeee: it's a perfectly fair comparison of one game to another.
No.
tedeee: TP is already more expensive than it should be.
You are comparing a game with AAA budget and millions of sales with small indie games having to fight for their survival. This is just ridiculous.

(btw. despite TWP being on so many platforms only sales on Steam and Xbox are substantial, which is sad)
Frenzie:

+1 arcades
+1 in-game hint system
-1 paid-for swearing DLC
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: +1 They have added the possibility to allow talking between playable characters (additional recording sessions after game release)
+/-0 in-jokes option
+1 Russian language support
-1 THIS version (DRM-free/GOG) is kind of a lesser version (no achievements albeit nearly every other release got them)
I'd rate the in-jokes option as -1 if not lower. If I hadn't browsed through the settings after installing the game and subsequently looked up online what it meant, because there's no explanation within the menu, I could've easily missed a significant part of the experience just because I didn't buy the game on day 1. Not. Cool.

(E.g., the monument to adventure gamers without a shovel was awesome. I'm pretty sure it'd still be funny even if you hadn't played Monkey Island.)

Now sure, it would've probably taken care of my own minor you don't need to mention Sierra so often remark, but something similar applies to Delores saying MMucasFlem™ every few words early on, which is unaffected by the setting afaik.

I think it should've been an option on the easy/hard selection.

Didn't know about Russian.

But achievements are a solid 0 for me. :-P I see what you mean though, given that just about every other version has it. I played it on Linux, so no GOG Galaxy achievements regardless, but I think I pretty much just assumed I was missing out by choice.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: (btw. despite TWP being on so many platforms only sales on Steam and Xbox are substantial, which is sad)
Hold on, back when he was still on Twitter Ron Gilbert tweeted that the Switch was doing well. I guess we'd better wait for the detailed blog post. ;-)
Post edited March 03, 2018 by Frenzie