It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Surge is now available DRM-free. Get it up to 70% off until August 16th, 1pm UTC.

Welcome to CREO, the megacorporation saving our world! A catastrophic event has knocked you out during the first day on the job… you wake up equipped with a heavy-grade exoskeleton, in a destroyed section of the complex. Robots gone haywire, insane augmented co-workers and rogue AI - everything wants you dead.
LittleCritter: An actual release of The Surge on gog?

I was on the verge of buying this a while back, the fact I could barely find any reviews of it made me wary (aside from that one above, and it is not exactly favorable). But part 2 is as good as out, maybe it will be an improvement. Thoguh the story still seems more or less non-existent, and bland story is a in most cases a dealbreaker.
Try this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HSwrq8z9Es
Breja: Anyway, while I'd definately be interested in a sci-fi RPG, as it always feels like there are too few of those, if this is indeed a Dark Souls-like game like I'm reading in the posts above, then it's definately not for me. Hell, not being able to manually save whenever I want is already a poor choice in my book, downright a terrible one in any sort of RPG.
It is pretty much the main point of those games. To see if you are good enough to get through the hand-crafted areas without dying to the next workshop/bonfire (either by killing everything or speedrunning). I am also a stalwart defender of manual saving but did not mind it not being here. You don't lose the currency as long as you manage to pick it back up and if you keep dying, it is the game telling you to either practice more or avoid an area for now (if enemies suddenly start one shotting you, you probably shouldn't be there :P).
Breja: Anyway, while I'd definately be interested in a sci-fi RPG, as it always feels like there are too few of those, if this is indeed a Dark Souls-like game like I'm reading in the posts above, then it's definately not for me. Hell, not being able to manually save whenever I want is already a poor choice in my book, downright a terrible one in any sort of RPG.
idbeholdME: It is pretty much the main point of those games.
And I don't like those games. See a pattern emerging yet? :D
timppu: I like positive surprises as this. Of course, I can't be sure whether I will like the game or not. I know what game Dark Souls is (I have it on Steam, I have played it only shortly), and I am unsure what "Dark Souls"-like game means. Beat'em up with swords?
Watch the beginning of the review I linked. One possible explanation of what "souls like" is meaning is given there.
Post edited August 10, 2019 by MarkoH01
Anyone else notice that the forums for The Surge don't appear to be activated?
TheGreatDustpan: Anyone else notice that the forums for The Surge don't appear to be activated?
https://www.gog.com/forum/the_surge#1565408380 - not working for you?
TheGreatDustpan: Anyone else notice that the forums for The Surge don't appear to be activated?
tfishell: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_surge#1565408380 - not working for you?
Oh it's fine on the Augmented Edition page, but on the base game's page it's broken. Thanks.
nice to see such big players coming to GoG. Hopefully Dark Souls will be there someday too.

(As for game itself - its kinda mediocre. Plot is worse than final season of Game of Thrones; fighting system is flawed with many balance issues resulting in cheap deaths; and optimization varies from "playable with few fps drops" to "abysmal", depending on your hardware (matching system requirements, obviously))
I played The Surge earlier this year as a "break" from Dark Souls 2 and enjoyed it enough to do one NG+ playthrough after beating it. So I recommend it, but don't expect it to actually be as good as a Dark Souls game.

My review on Steam if anyone's interested.
Post edited August 11, 2019 by kalirion
tfishell: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_surge#1565408380 - not working for you?
TheGreatDustpan: Oh it's fine on the Augmented Edition page, but on the base game's page it's broken. Thanks.
Oh I was just searching in the bottom left search box on gog.com/forum, not on any particular page. Looks like wrong link on the page you're talking about - https://www.gog.com/forum/general. I'll message a blue so it probably won't be fixed until later next week.

---

I'm not buying the game but I am curious (and perhaps others are): is the extra content of the Augmented Edition worth buying that edition (especially at the sale price)? Granted it's -50% instead of the base game's -70%.
Post edited August 11, 2019 by tfishell
ShadowWulfe: Also, since Focus is here, how about Styx, Of Orcs and Men, Mars: War Logs, and its excellent sequel Technomancer?
FOCUS if you read that I will happily and unquestionably insta-buy all that for the sweet DRM-free goodness. Mars: War Logs alone is worth every penny that exists. Such a damn good game <3
idbeholdME: It is pretty much the main point of those games.
Breja: And I don't like those games. See a pattern emerging yet? :D
Yeah, you can't handle challenging games and need save scumming to progress.
Breja: And I don't like those games. See a pattern emerging yet? :D
Yeshu: Yeah, you can't handle challenging games and need save scumming to progress.
I'm not a pathetic edgelord - I play games to have fun, not as some sort of dick measuring contest.
Why people must insult each others when opinions differ?
With that said, the gme autosave features is part of the subgenre, being able to save and load when you want would just ruin the game at its core.

BUT I understand that some people don't like it, but the game has been made to appeal a certain audience, in this case those loving challenging a la dark souls games.

I bought this on launch on steam and loved every moment of it.

If they would bring the surge 2 on GOG on launch, I'd rather buy it here than on steam.
Yeshu: Yeah, you can't handle challenging games and need save scumming to progress.
Breja: I'm not a pathetic edgelord - I play games to have fun, not as some sort of dick measuring contest.
Then don't claim that a core gameplay mechanic is a flaw to fit your leisure approach to gaming. Some people like a challenge in there entertainment.

Some like Michael Bay Movies, other prefer something from Kubrick's library.