It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Do robots dream of a higher purpose?

<span class="bold">The Signal From T&ouml;lva</span>, an open-world first-person shooter about robots fighting for claim over a desolate world, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

There is a distant wasteland of a planet, a place where robotic explorers roam among the fascinating remnants of an ancient civilization, searching for a signal's source. Unable to resist the urge, you send a drone to the hazardous surface of Tölva. Conflict, danger, and breathtaking vistas await you there. But when the truth finally reveals itself, will you be prepared for it?

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VDFsfCewDtk?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited April 10, 2017 by maladr0Id
It's not a life-changing game like NITW or Fran Bow, but that would be apples with oranges. It's a well made new style open-world game - kill enemies in areas, collect stuff to upgrade you, satisfying "unlocked" icon appears on map. I think this is the first of its kind on GOG (AAA ones are on Steam in the millions). I'm into it.
Post edited April 11, 2017 by AlienMind
I'm really interested, but I'm not completely sure how well it will run on my system. Anyone played it with the minimum requirements yet?
Looks like a lot of fun, system specs are no problem, got a decent download connection at the hotel, put in a crapload of extra hours this damn machine installation, and I need to blow some shit up.

In other words, instabought.

Don't disappoint me, Tölva! I'm not in the mood. ; )
Minimum system requirements - Windows: 7 / 8.1 / 10 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz, or equivalent.
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB, or equivalent.

8 GB ram minimum??????????

It looks good (time to test out my recently acquired 1050 TI video card ).
Look forward to some reviews about the performance and game in general before i buy.wishlisted for now
Post edited April 11, 2017 by Niggles
Took a leap of faith (based on my educated guess that the recommended spec of 16GB was either a bit of an exaggeration from the developers, a "nice to have" sort of thing or probably just a safety margin) and bought the game. I've explored about half of the initial map and the RAM usage so far has been fairly constant at around 6GB throughout the game.

Will there be a need for 16GB in later missions? Who knows. Something tells me that I'll be fine with my meager 8GB though.

The game is interesting so far and has a rather nice SF detective story setting to it. I'm not sure why, but the droid speech in the game reminds me of the Selkath of Manaan (SW: KotoR)... and robotic fish lips don't sound that bad to be honest.
PaterAlf: I'm really interested, but I'm not completely sure how well it will run on my system. Anyone played it with the minimum requirements yet?
I'm quite near the minimum specs. It's fluent on low settings @ 720p, I can even up most things to medium without taking much of a hit on performance. You'll have to give up hope of any form of AA though.
Post edited April 11, 2017 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall: Took a leap of faith (based on my educated guess that the recommended spec of 16GB was either a bit of an exaggeration from the developers, a "nice to have" sort of thing or probably just a safety margin) and bought the game. I've explored about half of the initial map and the RAM usage so far has been fairly constant at around 6GB throughout the game.

Will there be a need for 16GB in later missions? Who knows. Something tells me that I'll be fine with my meager 8GB though.

The game is interesting so far and has a rather nice SF detective story setting to it. I'm not sure why, but the droid speech in the game reminds me of the Selkath of Manaan (SW: KotoR)... and robotic fish lips don't sound that bad to be honest.
PaterAlf: I'm really interested, but I'm not completely sure how well it will run on my system. Anyone played it with the minimum requirements yet?
WinterSnowfall: I'm quite near the minimum specs. It's fluent on low settings @ 720p, I can even up most things to medium without taking much of a hit on performance. You'll have to give up hope of any form of AA though.
Thank you!
drealmer7: people complaining about the requirements are ridiculous

I haven't updated my computer in about 8 years and it meets/slightly exceeds the minimum requirements (I have 12GB ram, have for 8 years, and it was relatively cheap even back then.) You either have a computer that is for gaming, or you don't, if you don't, then don't complain about not being able to play games that are in large worlds with beautiful graphics that have a lot going on in them (did you look at the game and see what goes on in it?) DUH!
Except people aren't necessarily complaining because the game requirements exceed their system specs, they're complaining because the game's requirements make this looks like a ridiculous, unoptimized mess.

I have a system that is quite capable of running AAA games such as Witcher 3 ( only 6 to 8 GB required RAM, by the way ) or Dark Souls 3, so I think it's fair to assume that it should be able to run this game as well. Fancy AI shenanigans aside, this really looks more like a last gen release.
BrokenBull: Uh oh. Another No Man's Sky? Better wait for reviews...
amrit9037: But it costs 19.99$ (according to magog)
Still though, $19.99 could get you something maybe better than this.

I haven't updated my computer in about 8 years and it meets/slightly exceeds the minimum requirements (I have 12GB ram, have for 8 years, and it was relatively cheap even back then.) You either have a computer that is for gaming, or you don't, if you don't, then don't complain about not being able to play games that are in large worlds with beautiful graphics that have a lot going on in them (did you look at the game and see what goes on in it?) DUH!
CharlesGrey: Except people aren't necessarily complaining because the game requirements exceed their system specs, they're complaining because the game's requirements make this looks like a ridiculous, unoptimized mess.

I have a system that is quite capable of running AAA games such as Witcher 3 ( only 6 to 8 GB required RAM, by the way ) or Dark Souls 3, so I think it's fair to assume that it should be able to run this game as well. Fancy AI shenanigans aside, this really looks more like a last gen release.
The Witcher 3 has been out how long now, also? and it is also kind of my understanding that The Witcher 3 "dumbed down" their graphics in order to sell more copies to people with less graphic-intensive machines, and also likely put their "recommended" a little lower than they ideally recommend in order to not scare people off / sell more copies. I also don't think it is "fair to assume" anything, considering the extremely far draw-distances where there are complicated actions happening (in the way of multiple units WITH complex AI going on, AND lots of graphical effects with particles - does the witcher have that going on btw? 20 units with complex AI battling out in a distance of hundreds and hundreds of yards w/such graphics and processes?)

and it is not like I *know* or presume to *know* - I just think, in general, people are apt to whine about sys. reqs. unreasonably
Post edited April 11, 2017 by drealmer7

Why is this low rated? Here's a + for you.

Seriously, even if you have a lower end computer, playale PC games aren't really scarce, are they?
CharlesGrey: Except people aren't necessarily complaining because the game requirements exceed their system specs, they're complaining because the game's requirements make this looks like a ridiculous, unoptimized mess.

drealmer7: The Witcher 3 has been out how long now, also? and it is also kind of my understanding that The Witcher 3 "dumbed down" their graphics in order to sell more copies to people with less graphic-intensive machines, and also likely put their "recommended" a little lower than they ideally recommend in order to not scare people off / sell more copies. I also don't think it is "fair to assume" anything, considering the extremely far draw-distances where there are complicated actions happening (in the way of multiple units WITH complex AI going on, AND lots of graphical effects with particles - does the witcher have that going on btw? 20 units with complex AI battling out in a distance of hundreds and hundreds of yards w/such graphics and processes?)

and it is not like I *know* or presume to *know* - I just think, in general, people are apt to whine about sys. reqs. unreasonably
You might think that because, as someone who had a PC with 12GB RAM eight years ago, it's probably rare for you to need to consider system reqs at all. You seem to think that people without gaming PCs have trouble playing "games that are in large worlds with beautiful graphics that have a lot going on in them". Generally, they don't. Hence why people look suspiciously at games like this, which have very ordinary graphics but extreme system reqs. As CharlesGrey mentioned, it usually indicates a game with poor optimization.

Anyway, I'm glad the game is out, because I've been looking forward to it. The concept seems great, but I'll wait to see some reviews, because bad pre-order experiences have driven home just how much easier it is to describe a fun game than it is to make one. ^_^ I did like devs' previous game though, which is always a good sign.

You really are comparing apples with oranges. Calling the game an "unoptimized mess" without having (I bet) the singlest clue about its inner working is bad behavior, some would say toxic. So please, get info and make some research before going that way. Cheers.
WinterSnowfall: Took a leap of faith (based on my educated guess that the recommended spec of 16GB was either a bit of an exaggeration from the developers, a "nice to have" sort of thing or probably just a safety margin) and bought the game. I've explored about half of the initial map and the RAM usage so far has been fairly constant at around 6GB throughout the game.

WinterSnowfall: I'm quite near the minimum specs. It's fluent on low settings @ 720p, I can even up most things to medium without taking much of a hit on performance. You'll have to give up hope of any form of AA though.
Thanks for the input.

Maybe the game optimizes its ram usage to not use too much of the detected ram, maybe you have less concurrent ai that way...
Post edited April 11, 2017 by Zoidberg
zlep: You might think that because, as someone who had a PC with 12GB RAM eight years ago, it's probably rare for you to need to consider system reqs at all.
I just know that I'm extremely poor but one of the things I do put money in to when I can is upgrading my computer so I can play games because it is one of the few joys in life, and I was able to buy 12GB that long ago, but spending $20 on a game is waaayyyyy out of my price range unless I save up for it for MONTHS, so I can't help but think "you can consider just throwing 20 bucks into a game but you don't have a decent enough computer to run it???"
drealmer7: The Witcher 3 has been out how long now, also? and it is also kind of my understanding that The Witcher 3 "dumbed down" their graphics in order to sell more copies to people with less graphic-intensive machines, and also likely put their "recommended" a little lower than they ideally recommend in order to not scare people off / sell more copies. I also don't think it is "fair to assume" anything, considering the extremely far draw-distances where there are complicated actions happening (in the way of multiple units WITH complex AI going on, AND lots of graphical effects with particles - does the witcher have that going on btw? 20 units with complex AI battling out in a distance of hundreds and hundreds of yards w/such graphics and processes?)

It's been out for nearly two years now, actually ( the base game ), but in most regards it is still state of the art. Huge streaming game world, with ridiculous amounts of detail, and filled with NPCs, creatures and other entities, along with dynamic weather, physics and all the other fancy things you'd expect of a modern AAA game.

Anyhow, processor and GPU requirements aside, around 8GB RAM is still the expected standard for most modern high-end 3D games, so I think it's not surprising when people are shocked this game asks for twice as much. And aside from supposedly complex AI ( which should primarily call for a strong processor, not tons of RAM ), I'm not sure what exactly they need the extra memory for. Witcher, Dark Souls, Minecraft or No Man's Sky all have huge streaming game worlds too, and make do with much less RAM. ( And with the exception of Minecraft, they all do it with more impressive visuals. )
zlep: You might think that because, as someone who had a PC with 12GB RAM eight years ago, it's probably rare for you to need to consider system reqs at all.
drealmer7: I just know that I'm extremely poor but one of the things I do put money in to when I can is upgrading my computer so I can play games because it is one of the few joys in life, and I was able to buy 12GB that long ago, but spending $20 on a game is waaayyyyy out of my price range unless I save up for it for MONTHS, so I can't help but think "you can consider just throwing 20 bucks into a game but you don't have a decent enough computer to run it???"
I'm not sure how that matters?

You just have different priorities to some others. I wouldn't think twice about spending $20 on a whim, and I love gaming, but I've never owned a gaming PC, and probably never will. I'd rather spend the money on more games.

All I'm saying is that you probably don't need to consider system reqs much, so you're more inclined to think that people who do are whining unreasonably. I'm prone to thinking the same when people complain about games that don't have 32-bit versions, or which won't run on integrated graphics cards. It's been many years since either of those issues were relevant to me, so I don't have immediate sympathy for their point of view.

Hmm, none of my favourite Youtubers have put up post-release impressions yet. I'll just have to pick one at random... I no longer remember how I used to make purchasing decisions in the days before instant access to gameplay footage. ^_^