It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Travel 2,000 years into the past and relive the final days of a cursed Roman city, where if one person sins, everyone dies. The Forgotten City, a mystery adventure game of exploration and deduction, is now available on GOG.COM along with a 10% discount that will last until 4th August 2021, 7:30 AM UTC!

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
tremere110: Thought this was the Lovecraftian game - then I realized that was The Sinking City. Very unusual release time.
I immediately thought of The Sinking City too. Wish that would come to GOG, Origin apparently already carries the developer supported version (i.e., not the weird build that came to Steam via Nacon).
ConanTheBald: Are they Steam fanboys trolling over here?
rjbuffchix: GOG previously announced a partnership with Epic Fail Games Store in which DRMed games (from Epic) would be available for purchase via a new store within the GOG Galaxy 2.0 app. This was confirmed by GOG staff member Chandra on the GOG reddit. By the way, the announcement of the partnership on this forum was done in the Galaxy sub-forum in as subtle, and some would say "weasel word-like", way as possible. It was vocal users who brought it to the attention here on the main forum iirc.

The flagship game Cyberpunk has "My Rewards" singleplayer content locked behind Galaxy client usage. In other words, the player is not permitted to unlock the content if you don't use GOG's proprietary online client. That is unequivocally DRM by any reasonable (imo) definition, and it is being done by CDPR themselves!

More recently, I recall (but can't find the quote at the moment) that GOG said something to the effect that they respect developers' decision to design their game the way they (the developers) want, including some DRM, as long as it is only minor and doesn't make the game feel "incomplete". Again, I apologize for not having the exact quote in front of me. Please clarify for me if I'm misunderstanding.

By the way these are just the more recent "hits". A now-removed game in For the King at one point inadvertently contained a Galaxy requirement to even get to the start menu. DLC for Deus Ex Mankind Divided was, evidently, not tested via offline installers as that was inaccessible without Galaxy at launch (but fixed after).

Additionally, for what it's worth, offline installers have consistently been found by users to be outdated behind Galaxy versions in some cases weeks, in some cases months, in some cases years, but that itself is not DRM, just a representation of what the priority is.

I am as anti-Scheme as they come. Can't speak for others boycotting in whatever way they are, but it's this DRM nonsense that kept me away from PC gaming for well over a decade until I found enough big DRM-free releases on GOG to justify rejoining this world. That's why it's so important to me at least, to nip it in the bud wherever it is spotted. And, much more generally in gaming and life, we have seen again and again that if companies exercising anti-consumer behavior are given an inch, they will take a mile.

My boycott is different from others in that I will buy what I consider must-haves...still trying to determine if The Forgotten City is that. It sure looks pretty to me regardless.
Ok, I get what you say. I absolutely agree. I even dislike games with multiplayer DRM since once those clients die or servers get closed then that's the end of the multiplayer for those games.

The reason why I got bit different impression at first is because not too long ago I witnessed one retarded hypocrite who was ranting on about Gog's shortcomings and then turned around and bought games on Steam. Like excuse me. Steam is lightyears behind Gog when it comes to being DRM Free.

Now, I appreciate your concerns and all but if you want to be serious about this DRM Free issue then you are barking at the wrong tree. Gog is the only platform I know who even values games being DRM free. Ranting on how imperfect Gog is is not going to change anything for the better. Rather, if you blow up some publisher offices who only release DRM'ed games, now that (obviously not legal) might help your cause. Other, maybe less violent way, would be to educate consumers (especially on Steam) on the issue. If we could lure lets say some 5% - 10% of Steam user over to Gog, only then Valve and other platforms might start seeing value in DRM Free gaming.

After all, I'm no Gog fanboy. If they screw up and some other platform would do it way better then I would probably move on with my future purchases. I think you too don't care too much about Gog but about DRM. The only way Gog would start taking it more seriously if they would have competition in that regard. It's just that Steam is definitely not it. Not by far. And supporting Steam is just counterproductive for the cause.

So, if you are in for the fight of DRM-Freedom then count me in. Lets just do it in a way that actually takes us somewere. Lets stop whining (caring) about Gog specifically and focus on the actual goal. What say you?
Post edited July 28, 2021 by ConanTheBald
Lifthrasil: Looks very interesting. I'll get it as soon as GOG becomes DRM free again. (or at least honest with labeling the games that have DRM as such)
ConanTheBald: Care to elaborate? Is The Forgotten City DRM'ed?
No, not The Forgotten City. But GOG abandoned their DRM-free policy - and is not even marking the games that have DRM. So not only has it become a mixed DRM-platform (like itch.io and others) but it doesn't even inform their customers when a game has DRM.

Here's a list:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_on_gog_list_of_singleplayer_games_with_drm/page1

And here's GOG's statement about their new stance on DRM, officially stated by Ponczo:

This might be subjective, but as long as these additional features and rewards do not affect the single-player offline experience in a major way, we believe that the developers and publishers should be free to design and sell their games in a way they choose.
So, DRM is officially OK, as long as it doesn't affect the game in "a major way". Whatever 'major' means in corporate speak.
ConanTheBald: Care to elaborate? Is The Forgotten City DRM'ed?
Lifthrasil: No, not The Forgotten City. But GOG abandoned their DRM-free policy - and is not even marking the games that have DRM. So not only has it become a mixed DRM-platform (like itch.io and others) but it doesn't even inform their customers when a game has DRM.

Here's a list:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_on_gog_list_of_singleplayer_games_with_drm/page1

And here's GOG's statement about their new stance on DRM, officially stated by Ponczo:

This might be subjective, but as long as these additional features and rewards do not affect the single-player offline experience in a major way, we believe that the developers and publishers should be free to design and sell their games in a way they choose.
Lifthrasil: So, DRM is officially OK, as long as it doesn't affect the game in "a major way". Whatever 'major' means in corporate speak.
Well, if Gog is undermining their own Purple Cow then that's really sad to hear. DRM- Free is the only thing that is keeping them in business. If they lose that then that's the end of them.
ConanTheBald: Well, if Gog is undermining their own Purple Cow then that's really sad to hear. DRM- Free is the only thing that is keeping them in business. If they lose that then that's the end of them.
Yes, and yet, for some reason, they see more money in the DRM-ed market than in staying true to the one remaining principle that has made them stand out.
ConanTheBald: DRM- Free is the only thing that is keeping them in business. If they lose that then that's the end of them.
Since they've allowed DRM in games here already apparently, are they basically out of business now?
Darvond: Sometimes I wonder how someone can manage to botch the release of a soundtrack, given how easy it is these days to export to WAV, FLAC, or other lossless formats at a master quality.
And it is precisely because it is very easy that professionals have no excuses, and yet, so many soundtracks released these days are of really poor quality, often badly encoded, rushed.
high rated
ConanTheBald: DRM- Free is the only thing that is keeping them in business. If they lose that then that's the end of them.
tfishell: Since they've allowed DRM in games here already apparently, are they basically out of business now?
Nothing happens overnight. Small cracks first appear in the foundation. If nothing is done then the cracks widen and get larger etc. It's a process that starts with light symptoms at first, but if not treated, will eventually end with the death of the company.
rjbuffchix: [snip]
ConanTheBald: Ok, I get what you say. I absolutely agree. I even dislike games with multiplayer DRM since once those clients die or servers get closed then that's the end of the multiplayer for those games.
[...]
So, if you are in for the fight of DRM-Freedom then count me in. Lets just do it in a way that actually takes us somewere. Lets stop whining (caring) about Gog specifically and focus on the actual goal. What say you?
Cool, I totally agree about the multiplayer DRM point too; I frequently discuss the issue of multiplayer DRM. I would say that it makes sense to focus on GOG even though I am not exclusively focused on GOG. That is because GOG is the only store that both touts DRM-free and has big releases, which depending on one's standard could apply to The Forgotten City. It would certainly apply to the game that The Forgotten City started out as a mod for, and I share other users' desire to get that game here as well. I do not want to get too far afield from the topic at hand here so I invite you to check out the "Boycotting GOG in 2021" thread or the "List of Singleplayer games with DRM" thread if you are interested in further such discussion.

Lifthrasil: And here's GOG's statement about their new stance on DRM, officially stated by Ponczo:

Lifthrasil: So, DRM is officially OK, as long as it doesn't affect the game in "a major way". Whatever 'major' means in corporate speak.
Thanks. You're awesome. This is the quote I was trying to reference in my earlier post in this topic.
Post edited July 30, 2021 by rjbuffchix
Having spent a good part of the weekend playing this game to completion, I can confirm that it's very, very good - especially for a studio debut. I'll try and write a review when I get time, but I'd definitely recommend it to everyone here.