It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Is it Thursday yet? Yes it is.

<span class="bold">The Age of Decadence</span>, a dark, brutal, low-fantasy RPG of choice and consequence, is available now - DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

The Age of Decadence is many things.
It's "an isometric, turn-based, single-player role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire." How unique does that sound? Pretty darn unique.

It's a brutal game. It's a game about the brutality and consequences of being human. Instead of saving the world from an all-encompassing evil, you'll discover a world that's already gone to hell, and you'll soon learn why.

It's an incredibly open game. The Age of Decadence respects your right to be a pacifist. A lying, manipulative pacifist. It's a game that'll remind you of a classic text adventure with branching choices and betrayal at every corner. It's also a game with incredible replayability - the choices you make and your origin will influence the game in ways significant enough that you'll feel compelled just to see the other side of the story. Whether an assassin, a drifter, a merchant or a merc - you'll have a thousand stories to tell, and few of them will end well. Check out our own early impressions of the game still in development.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. <span class="bold">The Age of Decadence</span> is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discount will last until Monday, October 19, 12:59 PM GMT.

In the Press:
"Even walking the non-violent path, this game is no picnic, unless it’s a picnic covered with ants who act friendly, lure you into an alley, and then beat the shit out of you." --RockPaperShotgun
Will have to wait for a serious sale, but it looks great!
JudasIscariot: I've been trying to get my head wrapped around being an assassin :D
Did you try asking Thiev for assistance (or assassistance as it may be)?
Is it Thursday? I thought today was Wednesday...
JMich: assassistance
...still got those probes on your mind, eh?!

O______o7
JudasIscariot: I've been trying to get my head wrapped around being an assassin :D
JMich: Did you try asking Thiev for assistance (or assassistance as it may be)?
Meh. Thiev is doing the no-combat playthrough so no help there as I am trying to make an assassin that can sneak (and steal!) whenever possible but can hold their own in a fight :D

The assassin seems to be more combat-oriented as the skills raised by some faction quests seem to be mostly combat skills such as Critical Strike and the like :)
JMich: assassistance
Sachys: ...still got those probes on your mind, eh?!

O______o7
Not really.
JudasIscariot: Meh. Thiev is doing the no-combat playthrough so no help there as I am trying to make an assassin that can sneak (and steal!) whenever possible but can hold their own in a fight :D

The assassin seems to be more combat-oriented as the skills raised by some faction quests seem to be mostly combat skills such as Critical Strike and the like :)
But, TechAssassistant?
Post edited October 14, 2015 by JMich
Sachys: ...still got those probes on your mind, eh?!

O______o7
JMich: Not really.
JudasIscariot: Meh. Thiev is doing the no-combat playthrough so no help there as I am trying to make an assassin that can sneak (and steal!) whenever possible but can hold their own in a fight :D

JMich: But, TechAssassistant?
Again, no combat for Thiev, it's the "running your mouth off" play through :D
Low fantasy? Or it is fantasy or not...
I don't like fantasy settings, and the historical background is what appeals to me
And no Unix support
Maybe next time
tokisto: Low fantasy? Or it is fantasy or not...
I don't like fantasy settings, and the historical background is what appeals to me
And no Unix support
Maybe next time
Low fantasy means it's more down to earth and you don't have mages slinging spells everywhere :)

The game runs just fine via Wine :)
JMich: But, TechAssassistant?
JudasIscariot: Again, no combat for Thiev, it's the "running your mouth off" play through :D
I'm branching out :p
This seems to be a dream...Must be....Did this actually came out?! It's actually released?! Nah...checking front page...a price tag and an add to cart option....I'm probably hallucinating...turn my back and go home to catch some 'zzz's...
JudasIscariot: Again, no combat for Thiev, it's the "running your mouth off" play through :D
Thiev: I'm branching out :p
Hybrids don't live long in AoD :P

(Stop looking at the scripts too! :P )
astroclay: I like the premise of the game, but the turn-based combat looks a little iffy to me.
JudasIscariot: What do you mean?
Well, the the turn-based combat system looks kind of slow making enemy battles more strategic or methodical. I usually like playing games that are a little more frantic and action oriented.
JudasIscariot: (Stop looking at the scripts too! :P )
Too late. I now know all combinations and skill checks in all dialogues :P
"It's an incredibly open game. The Age of Decadence respects your right to be a pacifist. A lying, manipulative pacifist. It's a game that'll remind you of a classic text adventure with branching choices and betrayal at every corner. It's also a game with incredible replayability - the choices you make and your origin will influence the game in ways significant enough that you'll feel compelled just to see the other side of the story."

To the cynic in me, this sounds like a whole lot of potential for bugged up quest lines, dialogues etc. with so many factors affecting your playthrough. Could be wrong, but unless this has already been thoroughly tested and polished, it might be wise to wait a little longer before trying this one out. :P

Loosely related: Does anyone know if this is connected to Dead State in some way? Same developers or engine, perhaps? The combat HUD elements look highly familiar.