It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mortals not allowed.

<span class="bold">Pray for Death</span>, a 2D fighting game where legendary warriors duel their way out of Death's domain, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

Cthulhu, Anubi, a big ugly demon, and a vaguely familiar martial arts master are only some of the warriors that join Death's tournament for a chance at resurrection. Brutal combat is their trade and they deliver it with high kicks, bloody punches, and devastating combos, softening their opponents up for the particularly gruesome killing blow.
OraEtLabora: Yes.

From the mobygames page:
Pray for Death is quite possibly the only game to feature H.P. Lovecraft's infamous Cthulhu as a playable character.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/pray-for-death
Vythonaut: Yeah, alright, i've read your previous post but that doesn't explain the fact that a Lovecraftian mythos entity fights against a Greek mythos beast in an orthodox Christian church -- quite contradicting, don't you think? Not to mention the robot character.. Hilarious cast that's even more hilarious given the setting. And the absence of the right proportions of course.

As a matter of fact, an orthodox church isn't a very common setting in video games, at least in my knowledge. The only other game i can recall that features an orthodox church setting is Metro 2033.
It's not the minotaur, it's a demon. And since when did fighting games make any sense? :b

EDIT: Apparently 27 people got their wish fulfilled (lol).
Post edited April 06, 2017 by MightyPinecone
Damn, and I was actually among them. I guess I'm obligated to buy the game now.

Edit: I'm almost convinced that, when voting for it, I was actually thinking of Theatre of Pain.
Post edited April 06, 2017 by F4LL0UT
OMG! Me and my sister played a lot when we were super young. She loved it and her favurite character was Cthulhu. :D
Thanks GOG, I almost forgot about this gem! :) :)

Recently found my old Time Warriors copy in the basement, that was a similar game but with a slightly different theme. :)
Cheese to the max!
LiquidOxygen80: You're missing Brudal Baddle.
To be honest, I don't remember that one... I found a video of the gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaNGnkl46gY

Anyway, this korean game was very impressive at that time:

Cheonha Mujeok (천하무적), DOS, Fighting, 1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhGVGWK-fJE

And who remembers Overkill?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcL7JrNa6OI

...or even Theatre of Pain (1996)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXSu9OFuqDw

and another "gem" - Expect No Mercy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN19-TfrFRc

AND FOR THE END, here comes the best video:

9 worst Mortal Kombat klones of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCSH022Wrtc
Post edited April 06, 2017 by OraEtLabora
zeogold: Huh, this looks interesting.
*checks the screenshots*
GOD HAVE MERCY! MY EYES! MY EYEEEEES! IT BURNS!
Ain't it true? One of the fugliest games I've seen for some time...

I remember playing all these crappy Mortal Kombat style games back in the 90s, but nowadays I don't see much reason to buy ( or play ) this, aside from some retro trash appeal.

I recall another Dark Fantasy themed Fighting game from that time... Iron & Blood, or something? I think that one was at least mildly entertaining, and I'm fairly sure it had a PC version.
low rated
Someone on the web said:
When I was a child and playing with this after MK I thought how wicked are those moves compared to MK's shitty combos.
And I pretty much agree - Pray for Death is just plain awesome!
While I never played this game myself (though it reminds me of Savage Warriors), I think I remember seeing a not so favorable review for it in an issue of PCGamer. A lot of GOGer's in this thread don't seem to hold it in high regard either. Maybe GOG is trying to increase the number of fighting games in their library? Search for fighting games and this is all there is (The rest in the search aren't fighting games):

Pray for Death
Mortal Kombat 1 - 3
BlazBlue Calamity Trigger
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Ultimate Body Blows
IwubCheeze: While I never played this game myself (though it reminds me of Savage Warriors), I think I remember seeing a not so favorable review for it in an issue of PCGamer. A lot of GOGer's in this thread don't seem to hold it in high regard either. Maybe GOG is trying to increase the number of fighting games in their library? Search for fighting games and this is all there is (The rest in the search aren't fighting games):

Pray for Death
Mortal Kombat 1 - 3
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Ultimate Body Blows
It's another random oldie from Interplay. I'm guessing getting the rights to package and sell some of these questionable old clunkers from "Interplay's sock drawer" (Lost Eden was another, though it got a better reception here at release than this has) isn't costing GOG much, otherwise they probably wouldn't bother; 27 community votes + bad rep back in the day = I wouldn't have spent much effort or money on getting it here, if I were them.
But having another fighting game in the fold (even if it's derivative or out-and-out terrible) may have also been a consideration.
HunchBluntley: It's another random oldie from Interplay. I'm But having another fighting game in the fold (even if it's derivative or out-and-out terrible) may have also been a consideration.
Now if only we could get OMF 2097 on the site. I know it's freeware but still...
IwubCheeze: While I never played this game myself (though it reminds me of Savage Warriors), I think I remember seeing a not so favorable review for it in an issue of PCGamer. A lot of GOGer's in this thread don't seem to hold it in high regard either. Maybe GOG is trying to increase the number of fighting games in their library? Search for fighting games and this is all there is (The rest in the search aren't fighting games):

Pray for Death
Mortal Kombat 1 - 3
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Ultimate Body Blows
Weren't some of the Dead or Alive games available on PC? Those would be a nice addition to GOG's collection. And I'm not just saying that for the obvious reason -- it really is a good martial arts series.

The boobs are just a bonus.
HunchBluntley: It's another random oldie from Interplay. I'm But having another fighting game in the fold (even if it's derivative or out-and-out terrible) may have also been a consideration.
Flaose: Now if only we could get OMF 2097 on the site. I know it's freeware but still...
Eager to show off your leet fighting game skillz on a GOGcom stream? =)
dudalb: Pray For Death was one of a endless number of "Mortal Kombat" wannabes that were common in the late 80's and 90's.
Did someone have a time machine? How could there have been Mortal Kombat wannabes in the late 80s when Pit-Fighter, that wasn't released to until 1990

CharlesGrey: I recall another Dark Fantasy themed Fighting game from that time... Iron & Blood, or something? I think that one was at least mildly entertaining, and I'm fairly sure it had a PC version.
One of the "results" of the waning days of Lorraine Williams led https://www.mobygames.com/game/iron-blood-warriors-of-ravenloft
OraEtLabora: In modern times, Cthulhu is in many games ...
"You're a nerd? You like Cthulhu, yes?" ... Ugh! The whole Cthulhu and Lovecraft shtick has been overdone as much as zombies in the nerd mainstream culture. The notion I get when either one of these is touted as a major feature of any game today is that the developers have no ounce of original thought.
CharlesGrey: Weren't some of the Dead or Alive games available on PC? Those would be a nice addition to GOG's collection. And I'm not just saying that for the obvious reason -- it really is a good martial arts series.

The boobs are just a bonus.
Only the latest one. The one with costume DLC packs that are more expensive than the base game.
Flaose: Now if only we could get OMF 2097 on the site. I know it's freeware but still...
HunchBluntley: Eager to show off your leet fighting game skillz on a GOGcom stream? =)
Oh yes!