It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brought to you by GOG.com

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, the accessible, Panzer-like grand strategy classics, are available now DRM-free on GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span>, available for Windows, is a spiritual sequel from the studio behind the acclaimed Panzer General series - an improvement over the classic, but one that retains the same feel and concepts as its inspiration. Once more we return to the overhead battlefields of World War II in a series of quick-play scenarios and full-blown campaigns: everything from Pearl Harbor to hypothetical invasion scenarios is here, all packaged in a relatively newbie-friendly grand-strategy package. <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> takes that same experience and sets it in a fantasy universe. This one's for you if you're a fan of large-scale hex-based battlefields and steampunk-infused fantasy. Fantasy General is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> are being published by GOG.com. We are happy to release these titles not on behalf of another party, but by acting as the sole publisher for the very first time!

Unleash your inner armchair general with <span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
high rated
JMich: Woohoo! Fantasy General!
Notice who the publisher is? :D
high rated
moonshineshadow: GOG publishing the games? Interesting.
Yes, this is the BIG THING I was hyping a while back :D
high rated
moonshineshadow: GOG publishing the games? Interesting.
The approval process for these games and their official goodies was quite short...it involved me yelling across the room at my boss like this "Hey we got a manual and a reference card. Approved?" Boss says: "Approved!"

:D
high rated
JudasIscariot: Yes, this is the BIG THING I was hyping a while back :D
moonshineshadow: So now publish some games I want :P
Well, that's actually an interesting point :) This "GOG goes into publishing" thing is just the beginning for what we hope will be a very fruitful process regarding securing the rights to some classics that may not be completely abandoned but are up for sale for whatever reason :)

Keep in mind this doesn't mean we are going to work miracles with games whose legal limbo woes are worse than an infinity of Gordian knots.
high rated
JudasIscariot: The approval process for these games and their official goodies was quite short...it involved me yelling across the room at my boss like this "Hey we got a manual and a reference card. Approved?" Boss says: "Approved!"

adaliabooks: Interesting development.... :)

So can we expect a lot more games published by GoG themselves?
You can tell me, I won't tell anyone ;)
We certainly hope so but again, too early to tell how this will go since this just kind of started so let's not get our hopes up through the roof :) A measure of reserve will serve everyone well :)
JudasIscariot: Notice who the publisher is? :D
cecil: Brain is thinking about what other games could be gotten and distributed by GOG... Congrats on the maiden publishing journey hope it proves to go well enough these aren't the only two games ;)
If you hear of any, drop us a line via Support in the feedback section :)
high rated
JudasIscariot: Well, that's actually an interesting point :) This "GOG goes into publishing" thing is just the beginning for what we hope will be a very fruitful process regarding securing the rights to some classics that may not be completely abandoned but are up for sale for whatever reason :)

Keep in mind this doesn't mean we are going to work miracles with games whose legal limbo woes are worse than an infinity of Gordian knots.
Fever_Discordia: Wait, might we see games listed as Published by 'GOG' turn up on... other DD sites?
Speaking for myself and myself alone from a gamer's perspective, I kinda hope they remain exclusive :)

What we, as a company, decide, well, my crystal ball is in the shop on that one :)
Post edited May 05, 2015 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: The approval process for these games and their official goodies was quite short...it involved me yelling across the room at my boss like this "Hey we got a manual and a reference card. Approved?" Boss says: "Approved!"

Tarhiel: I like this kind of practical approvals :D
Me too :D
high rated
JMich: Double Woohoo!

Here you are.
Epitaph666: Thanks mate!

Nocturne! Blair Witch Project Volumes! YEEEES

By the way Judas, can we have more info on how did you acquire the rights? Actually what i want to know is from who you obtained the rights? Ubisoft?
All I know and can comfortably share is that we bought them outright :) The finer details are not for me to know :)
henriquejr: Judas,

I couldn't find the first Panzer General on GoG. Will it become available in near future ?
I cannot reveal whether a given title is or isn't coming to our site, NDAs and all that.
JudasIscariot: Speaking for myself and myself alone from a gamer's perspective, I kinda hope they remain exclusive :)

What we, as a company, decide, well, my crystal ball is in the shop on that one :)
catpower1980: Congrats on GOG taking this step, You can expect swimming pool and fine babes in bikini for next summer in GOG backyard ;) Thug style baby ^o^

_________

More seriously and I would understand why you wouldn't want to answer this (private business stuff):

Why didn't the guy from Strategic Simulations took the role of "publisher" themselves (in Belgium, you just have to take the appropriate VAT business reference and it's done) and do it the "usual way"? From GOG perspective, it helps from an exclusivity perspective and some rights management but do the devs get an higher share for dealing directly with you (less than the usual GOG 30% cut), more publicity in media, other perks?
Come on, let's get to the point : why should devs work with you? :o)
Dude, that last question is a rather broad question and goes WAY over my head :) I am just a simple Product guy, not a decision maker or someone who speaks with devs about "why they should work with us" :) Sorry for the seeming evasiveness but I prefer giving answers to questions that I a) know what I am talking about and b) I have permission to share a given answer :)
JudasIscariot: Speaking for myself and myself alone from a gamer's perspective, I kinda hope they remain exclusive :)

MacArthur: Do you know if you have any plans for allowing third parties to kickstart new entries in those series ? Or if it would just be possible ?

The guys of seven dragon saga, TSI I think, would probably love this idea !
I have no clue, again, way over my head :/
JudasIscariot: a) know what I am talking about and b) I have permission to share a given answer :)
vicklemos: Howdy, Judas.
Do you guys plan to publish these games on other platforms, services?
That's why I gave that thought a go, about you guys publishing and stuff, since there are other cases out there :)
That's up to the decision makers and I have no idea, really :)
vicklemos: Lemme summon our beloved Judas in here... :P

Why these games? A personal fav or something?
Gotta say I'm impressed with the screens and having played PG some while ago, I'm curious.

And will you guys stick to classics, I mean, wouldn't you provide a huge boost for indie/newer games? Man if I were an indie dev I'd beg you guys* to publish my game; honestly speaking in here :)

Cheers!

* edit: you guys or some other awesome indie publisher like Devolver or something :P
Why these games? Maybe the amount of wishlist votes and the rights availability had something to do with it, I don't truly know, just glad to have them here, to be honest :)

Will we stick to the classics? Again, too early to tell how this whole shindig is going to go so let's not get too hyped up :)

JudasIscariot: I cannot reveal whether a given title is or isn't coming to our site, NDAs and all that.
MaximumBunny: Does this NDA apply interdimensionally? Because every time you don't tell us here a Judas in an alternate dimension would be sharing everything. So you're already in clear violation in the books and may as well tell us what you know. ;D
It applies everywhere :P
Post edited May 05, 2015 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: Why these games? Maybe the amount of wishlist votes and the rights availability had something to do with it, I don't truly know, just glad to have them here, to be honest :)

Will we stick to the classics? Again, too early to tell how this whole shindig is going to go so let's not get too hyped up :)
vicklemos: Thanks again! I'm also glad for having true gems in here too.
And sorry if I was a little too picky. Wish you all the best of luck and yep, count me in :)
Dude, you're asking questions, which is good!, so no need to apologize for anything :) Relax, mang :D