It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pretty deadly little thing.

Captain, I have some new information regarding "The Aristocrats". No, they're still laying low after their last heist, so low that we haven't seen Don or Freddie since the meeting with "The Boss". Someone might've hid them underground but we won't know for sure just now. Anyway, there's a new girl that was seen with Rick Fermione. She from outta town, don know exactly where. Seems a member of the borguise. It's bourgeoisie? Don't know sir, some fancy stuff I don't get--pearls, caviars, and champagnes, sir. Yes, one of my boys is following her. Yes, I know this is very delicate matter. Oh, the mayor... no, of course, no, I mean I'll talk to... Yes sir. No one seen. The report, yes. The last thing, sir--and this is a little bit unexpected--it looks like "The Aristocrats" are planning to move to a new district, any moment now. Can't tell for sure, but my bet is Connecticut Ave. We'll see. Will do, sir. Goodbye.

Omerta: City of Gangsters, an organized crime simulation you have been playing for the last couple of weeks just got bigger with The Con Artist DLC. There's a new henchman to recruit, new weapon, and a new district up for grabs. Experience "the greatest con of all time" in this action-packed expansion for only $4.99 on GOG.com.

Requires the base game Omerta: City of Gangsters on GOG in order to play.
amok: apparently, the game is not shit, but compares quite favourably with for example X-Com and Jagged Alliance. PC-Gamer gave it 78%
Al3xand3r: Woah, I just got told.

I'm getting another copy, I must have gotten a bad one because if it really is about as good as X-COM, which that PROFESSIONAL GAME REVIEW obviously proves way more than my opinion ever could, it must be right up my alley.

Thanks for enlightening me good sir.
Your welcome. Enjoy your second copy, to paraphrase someone else "you want it" :)
Romiras: I'm very interested to see GOG reaction to this obviously negative reception
you mean "GOG reaction to this obviously negative very vocal sub-set of customers on the forum". As we do not have the sales figures, we do not know if the reception is negative or not... Neither I nor you can tell. Let's hope Haemimont Games will go public will sale-figures later, and then we will see. Until then, everything is just speculations.
Post edited March 11, 2013 by amok
amok: you mean "GOG reaction to this obviously negative very vocal sub-set of customers on the forum". As we do not have the sales figures, we do not know if the reception is negative or not... Neither I nor you can tell. Let's hope Haemimont Games will go public will sale-figures later, and then we will see. Until then, everything is just speculations.
well I believe its GOG sales which are relevant here, but - yep you're right
011284mm: I feel sorry for the intern who has to go through all this and pick out the important parts.
Adzeth: Heresy! It is no intern! It is the T himself that wades through this swamp of emotion, his magic wand of justice ready to zap any mavericks he happens to come by! I believe!
Sheesh, I don't want TET's "magic wand" "zapping" at me, okay?! Take your perverted euphemisms elsewhere!
Adzeth: Heresy! It is no intern! It is the T himself that wades through this swamp of emotion, his magic wand of justice ready to zap any mavericks he happens to come by! I believe!
Tsugirai: Sheesh, I don't want TET's "magic wand" "zapping" at me, okay?! Take your perverted euphemisms elsewhere!
Then I suggest you do not buy that particular DLC then.
Kristian: Company officials being under the mistaken impression that FreeBSD is a Linux distro doesn't bode well for the basis of their Linux related decisions. The facts that they are so badly misinformed about Linux makes me take the opposite stance of you and be very certain that they won't provide Linux versions ever.
Reading through this whole thread here to catch up and thought I'd chime in on this--which I was unaware constituted a gaffe--that calling FreeBSD a Linux distro may have been imprecise, but when you have an open source Unix-based operating system that aims for binary compatibility with Linux, I trust you can forgive if, for sake of convenience, I lump it in with Linux distros despite the fact that it has obvious differences in license, project scope, and code maintenance. I regularly use two Linux OSes (Mint and PupEEE Linux), and MacOS, of course, uses FreeBSD and NetBSD elements heavily. Don't think that we're uneducated about the OS. We have researched Linux gaming. We continue to research it. And if and when we have a good solution for Linux gaming, we'll let you all know.

Further, saying that adding a new platform to the service is the same as adding DLC for a game that is on the OS we support is disingenuous at best. It's like comparing apples and p-brane string theory; there's not a lot of overlap, although you could say, "Apples exist in space. P-brane string theory discusses the existence of dimensions which bound all of perceivable space, and therefore apples as well. So it's the same thing, really." Saying that we should add Linux binaries and not support them overlooks the entire reason why we don't have Linux gaming at this very instant, and I've addressed that before, several times.

But I guess I'm OT for the thread anyway. :P
011284mm: I feel sorry for the intern who has to go through all this and pick out the important parts.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZPER_AklxTI/S8OIB_YiQ0I/AAAAAAAAACo/6NSiTd5oKFc/s1600/I+WANT+TO+BELIEVE+print.jpg
Post edited March 11, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
One other item worth adding here, which is that we are currently working on a way to add a notice on a game card when a game contains DLC and it should roll out soon-ish. I don't know what we'll be doing about product pages for DLC, but do trust that we're keeping your comments in mind as we look at what may happen with future releases and DLC.
TheEnigmaticT: One other item worth adding here, which is that we are currently working on a way to add a notice on a game card when a game contains DLC and it should roll out soon-ish. I don't know what we'll be doing about product pages for DLC, but do trust that we're keeping your comments in mind as we look at what may happen with future releases and DLC.
I have a question, if I may? Would it be possible for GOG to guarantee the availability of pre-order DLC that was tied to specific stores, provided it is some time after the initial release?
mrkgnao: Yes. I believe there is. It's:
Friday's hair and Sunday's horn go to the Devil on Monday morn.
ddmuse: Is "Sunday's horn" a euphemism for "boner"? I don't get it... ;)
It's an old superstition that you shouldn't cut your hair on Friday or your nails on Sunday. I believe it summarises the salient points of this entire thread clearly, accurately and succinctly.
TheEnigmaticT: One other item worth adding here, which is that we are currently working on a way to add a notice on a game card when a game contains DLC and it should roll out soon-ish. I don't know what we'll be doing about product pages for DLC, but do trust that we're keeping your comments in mind as we look at what may happen with future releases and DLC.
Sabin_Stargem: I have a question, if I may? Would it be possible for GOG to guarantee the availability of pre-order DLC that was tied to specific stores, provided it is some time after the initial release?
That would be nice, especially for those who want the real complete collectors edition. Just think of the new Tomb Raider.

@TET - A change of the gaming cards will be nice, I agree with others that DLC should not clutter up the store front.
Sabin_Stargem: I have a question, if I may? Would it be possible for GOG to guarantee the availability of pre-order DLC that was tied to specific stores, provided it is some time after the initial release?
011284mm: That would be nice, especially for those who want the real complete collectors edition. Just think of the new Tomb Raider.

@TET - A change of the gaming cards will be nice, I agree with others that DLC should not clutter up the store front.
But that depends solely on a publisher. If they wanted to include some before exclusive DLCs, they would. Also, it depends on the initial agreement - if the DLC was made 100% preorder exclusive, it may be hard to bring it.

GOG really would want to bring everything they can to the store, but you must understand, it rarely really has anything to do with what GOG wants.
I am hoping that the contracts involved are not too binding to prevent GOG from doing this. One of the reasons why I haven't picked up Dishonored yet was because I want all of the pre-order packs, just because I like my games to have all of their content.
I'd just like to say... I hope GOG releases more DLCs, so the entitled whiners here would leave for good.
I wrote a separate (very long) post explaining about DLC done right and how I feel sorta responsible for this brouhaha: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/regarding_the_dlc_brouhaha_for_omerta_city_of_gangsters_on_gogcom_long_post_sorry

BJ
Dreamer1971: Yes, silly and absurd requests like 'We want to sell DRM free games'. The GOG people have done this when they started their buisiness and it worked. And seriously, could any request to a publisher be more absurd? If they had thought like you, GOG wouldn't exist as we know it today. On the other hand, today's GOG managers are thinking like you - no more visions just cash up.

If you want a new game immediately and later all the overpriced DLCs you can buy it everywhere else. Perhaps not DRM-free, but you have to compromise in your life.
I want to buy a well bundled DRM-free game for a balanced price. Perhaps a year later then you, but that's my compromise. Currently just GOG offers this, i can go nowhere else.
By now GOG was free of this extreme DLC buisiness model like Omerta stands for. These cash up, brainwashing models have spread like vermin over the last years. You can't stop vermin from spreading by ignoring it, so just not to buy these DLCs is not a solution for the problem. If you like this buisiness model you can have it everywhere else, but keep GOG clean of this, just this one place, please. I don't want to smell this crap every time i browse through the GOG catalogue.
If you don't want to buy DLC, you can just completely ignore it and move on to something that interests you. Perhaps not ideal, but you have to compromise in your life.

See how that works? Compromises go both ways. Of course, seeing the hilariously alarmist rhetoric you're spewing in this entitled rant, I have no doubt that you don't see it that way. Nice attempt to connect the 'They sell DLC!' and 'But they're DRM free!' issues even though there is absolutely no connection between them, though. It didn't work for the other 20 people who have attempted to draw that particular slippery slope connection, but maybe you'll be the winner...
Dreamer1971: Snip
Sorry guys, but I have to answer this in german...Google translator might be your friend

Da du ja mit dem lesen und verstehen englischer Texte deine Probleme zu haben scheinst, antworte ich dir einfach mal auf deutsch (in der Hoffnung, daß du als Österreicher das besser verstehst):
Nicht ICH habe mich über den DLC aufgeregt, sondern ERISS.
Ich habe ihn lediglich darauf hingewiesen, daß ihm dasselbe auch 12 Jahre früher hätte passieren können.

Um aber deine schöne Vorlage aufzugreifen: Bis jetzt sind zu den von dir genannten Spielen keine DLCs erschienen, soweit stimmt das.
Aber ein Game hast du in deiner Aufzählung vergessen: Legend of Grimrock...das sollte nämlich tatsächlich mittels DLC erweitert werden...Schock!

Erst vor kurzem gaben die Entwickler bekannt, sich nun doch für einen zweiten Teil, anstatt für einen DLC entschieden zu haben.

Zitat:
»Wir arbeiten jetzt offiziell an … Legend of Grimrock 2! Die Erstellung eines simplen DLC oder einer Erweiterung hätte sich irgendwie nicht richtig angefühlt. Wie das heutige Meeting bewiesen hat, haben wir noch eine Menge an Ideen, die wir gerne weiter erkunden möchten. Viele, viele Inhalte sind bereits fertig (ursprünglich als DLC/Add-On geplant) und auch ein großes Update für die Engine ist in Arbeit. Einfach ausgedrückt: Ein DLC hätte uns zu stark in unseren Möglichkeiten limitiert. Doch mit einer ausgewachsenen Fortsetzung können wir Grimrock auf die nächste Stufe hieven.«

Soviel dazu...wir reden weiter, nachdem die von dir genannten Games dann eben doch per DLC erweitert worden sind, ok?
Sowas ist nämlich längst nicht vom Tisch, nur weil es "bislang" noch nicht passiert ist.
Post edited March 11, 2013 by BreOl72