It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pretty deadly little thing.

Captain, I have some new information regarding "The Aristocrats". No, they're still laying low after their last heist, so low that we haven't seen Don or Freddie since the meeting with "The Boss". Someone might've hid them underground but we won't know for sure just now. Anyway, there's a new girl that was seen with Rick Fermione. She from outta town, don know exactly where. Seems a member of the borguise. It's bourgeoisie? Don't know sir, some fancy stuff I don't get--pearls, caviars, and champagnes, sir. Yes, one of my boys is following her. Yes, I know this is very delicate matter. Oh, the mayor... no, of course, no, I mean I'll talk to... Yes sir. No one seen. The report, yes. The last thing, sir--and this is a little bit unexpected--it looks like "The Aristocrats" are planning to move to a new district, any moment now. Can't tell for sure, but my bet is Connecticut Ave. We'll see. Will do, sir. Goodbye.

Omerta: City of Gangsters, an organized crime simulation you have been playing for the last couple of weeks just got bigger with The Con Artist DLC. There's a new henchman to recruit, new weapon, and a new district up for grabs. Experience "the greatest con of all time" in this action-packed expansion for only $4.99 on GOG.com.

Requires the base game Omerta: City of Gangsters on GOG in order to play.
crazy_dave: What irks you about that? He's saying quite correctly that if they didn't offer the DLC for games like Omerta, then people who bought the game on GOG would have an inferior version compared to other platforms because they can't get access to the content if they want it.

EDIT Ninja'd by Fuzzyfireball
gameon: "In order to justify taking money for newer games, they need to include dlc as soon as they can so that they avoid releasing sub standard inferior games"

Well they already did that by releasing Omerta!
From the context it is pretty clear it means "so they aren't releasing an inferior game as compared to other sellers for which you can get the DLC". I haven't played Omerta, it didn't interest me and didn't get great reviews - this is all true. But they are clearly referring to the fact that if GOG didn't offer the DLC, GOG would be selling a worse version of the game than competing platforms and people who had bought the game on GOG and wanted the DLC, would be screwed if GOG didn't offer it.
gameon: "In order to justify taking money for newer games, they need to include dlc as soon as they can so that they avoid releasing sub standard inferior games"

Well they already did that by releasing Omerta!
crazy_dave: From the context it is pretty clear it means "so they aren't releasing an inferior game as compared to other sellers for which you can get the DLC". I haven't played Omerta, it didn't interest me and didn't get great reviews - this is all true. But they are clearly referring to the fact that if GOG didn't offer the DLC, GOG would be selling a worse version of the game than competing platforms and people who had bought the game on GOG and wanted the DLC, would be screwed if GOG didn't offer it.
You may be right, but the comment "or else we'll be offering inferior games for sale" still stands there. They are selling some inferior titles now on GOG.
gameon: You may be right, but the comment "or else we'll be offering inferior games for sale" still stands there. They are selling some inferior titles now on GOG.
They always have - even in the days when it was pure "classic" titles. I mean, my god they have a few of the most hated sequels ever made! (MoO3 comes to mind)

The context is about what whether or not what's on sale is on par to what is being offered by other DD in terms of the extra content DLC provides. If GOG didn't offer it, the people who bought the game would probably be upset that they can't get it here and worse would have to re-buy the game somewhere else to get access to the DLC.
crazy_dave: From the context it is pretty clear it means "so they aren't releasing an inferior game as compared to other sellers for which you can get the DLC". I haven't played Omerta, it didn't interest me and didn't get great reviews - this is all true. But they are clearly referring to the fact that if GOG didn't offer the DLC, GOG would be selling a worse version of the game than competing platforms and people who had bought the game on GOG and wanted the DLC, would be screwed if GOG didn't offer it.
gameon: You may be right, but the comment "or else we'll be offering inferior games for sale" still stands there. They are selling some inferior titles now on GOG.
Uh, some would argue they always sold some "inferior" titles. The reputation behind games like Moo3, Daikatana and Ultima 9 are not exactly the best :P
crazy_dave: They always have - even in the days when it was pure "classic" titles. I mean, my god they have a few of the most hated sequels ever made! (MoO3 comes to mind)

The context is about what whether or not what's on sale is on par to what is being offered by other DD in terms of the extra content DLC provides. If GOG didn't offer it, the people who bought the game would probably be upset that they can't get it here and worse would have to re-buy the game somewhere else to get access to the DLC.
I don't begrudge people having the chance to buy DLC, but with this one, it doesn't look like many would be upset about missing out on it.

Why did they choose this as the first one to release, knowing that the base game tanked, and that the add on content was minimal?
hedwards: or gotten prepared for this in some other fashion.
Exactly. Is it really asking too much of them to smooth things over by executing a French monk every time they do anything controversial?
Post edited March 08, 2013 by Darling_Jimmy
Fuzzyfireball: Uh, some would argue they always sold some "inferior" titles. The reputation behind games like Moo3, Daikatana and Ultima 9 are not exactly the best :P
Ironically I actually enjoyed Ultima 9 for all it's flaws. But i wouldn't pay extra for any dlc. The main game was more than enough!
crazy_dave: They always have - even in the days when it was pure "classic" titles. I mean, my god they have a few of the most hated sequels ever made! (MoO3 comes to mind)

gameon: I don't begrudge people having the chance to buy DLC, but with this one, it doesn't look like many would be upset about missing out on it.

Why did they choose this as the first one to release, knowing that the base game tanked, and that the add on content was minimal?
Well that's definitely fair, though not exactly GOG's fault, more on the developer for releasing an at-best average game and seemingly underwhelming DLC :) (I certainly have no intention of finding out for myself!)

It's probably just their first game the have that has DLC to release I imagine. I think Strike Suit Zero is going to get DLC (that was a promotion even, that if you bought it in the first month all DLC for the game would be free).

f you're worried about not getting DLCs with the GOG.com version, then stop. All users who purchase the game or a gift code within the first month will get the DLC-pack for free. Yes. More death-dealing space mechs are coming!
But I would guess the DLC is not ready yet. :/ Probably because it is more substantial :P (I don't have that title either)
Post edited March 08, 2013 by crazy_dave
gameon: Why did they choose this as the first one to release, knowing that the base game tanked, and that the add on content was minimal?
I was going to joke that the game isn't tanking that bad because it is ahead of Daikatana.

Then I checked and Daikatana is actually one slot above it, so never mind.
If you're going to sell a new game published by EA, be prepared to get a little dirty by association.
Darling_Jimmy: he probably means the whole TET is on vacation thing as if Gog wasn't expecting us old fusspots to make a fuss.
hedwards: Exactly, there are some things which are likely to get folks riled up and I'm a bit surprised that they didn't see this coming and reschedule either the vacation or the release or gotten prepared for this in some other fashion.

It would be like releasing steam keys for the games here. What the precise reaction would be isn't certain, but you can be certain that people would feel very strongly about it.
Because the DLC came out "now" and he can have a life? I mean, haven't we both argued that Americans die earlier because they work too damned much? As it is, he still logged in to say something, if that is from vacation that's probably a lot more than we deserve. For all we know he's attending a funeral, but it doesn't really matter if he's frolicking with co-eds on a nude beach in the south of France, it's his personal time and he's entitled to it.
Roman5: I'm sorry but...What the fuck is this shit?

DLC? on GOG? Are you fucking kidding me?

This should be INCLUDED FOR FREE with the original Omerta game, which is already a very steep 40 bucks

Who's fucking bright Idea was this? GOG's? The publisher?

I am not happy with this at all

GOG was always about delivering value to Gamers, if we get more of this nonsense in the future then the core values of this site can start to break apart piece by piece
apart from the dlc should be free sentence, 1 of the dumbest comment I ever seen on the internet.
hedwards: Exactly, there are some things which are likely to get folks riled up and I'm a bit surprised that they didn't see this coming and reschedule either the vacation or the release or gotten prepared for this in some other fashion.

It would be like releasing steam keys for the games here. What the precise reaction would be isn't certain, but you can be certain that people would feel very strongly about it.
orcishgamer: Because the DLC came out "now" and he can have a life? I mean, haven't we both argued that Americans die earlier because they work too damned much? As it is, he still logged in to say something, if that is from vacation that's probably a lot more than we deserve. For all we know he's attending a funeral, but it doesn't really matter if he's frolicking with co-eds on a nude beach in the south of France, it's his personal time and he's entitled to it.
This kinda brings me back to when paid subscribers of Giant Bomb (of which I am also one) were getting all up in arms that their money was being wasted when Jeff Gerstmann wanted to buy a new car. These guys getting paid is partly our business, as we are the ones contributing to their salary (or however their earnings work), but it is absolutely none of our business what they do on their own time/with their own money. Just like if you were in a position to buy a new car, or go on vacation, you would be quite upset if people came out of the woodwork to decry the fact that you have a life outside of your chosen profession.
orcishgamer: Because the DLC came out "now" and he can have a life? I mean, haven't we both argued that Americans die earlier because they work too damned much? As it is, he still logged in to say something, if that is from vacation that's probably a lot more than we deserve. For all we know he's attending a funeral, but it doesn't really matter if he's frolicking with co-eds on a nude beach in the south of France, it's his personal time and he's entitled to it.
TrIp13G: This kinda brings me back to when paid subscribers of Giant Bomb (of which I am also one) were getting all up in arms that their money was being wasted when Jeff Gerstmann wanted to buy a new car. These guys getting paid is partly our business, as we are the ones contributing to their salary (or however their earnings work), but it is absolutely none of our business what they do on their own time/with their own money. Just like if you were in a position to buy a new car, or go on vacation, you would be quite upset if people came out of the woodwork to decry the fact that you have a life outside of your chosen profession.
I actually must have missed that episode, that's downright pathological (and worse than this, but I get the comparison). I may have to dig up a summary of events somewhere.
Damn, if only people cared so much for government environmental policies as they do for digital game store policies.
I had my infatuation with "gog, the nostalgic hub of classic good old games", but since that ended I'm happy to give two apple pies about what goes on with this store (the shelf is still neat, so there's at least that). Would be nice to be able to filter out the news about new/indie games though.

But it is kinda funny/silly/ill-fated to use this particular DLC for the initiation of "this experiment to see if signing new games with DLC works for us".
Post edited March 09, 2013 by MoP