It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Coming of Age.

Myst III: Exile and Myst IV: Revelation are now available DRM-free, only on GOG.com.
The saga is now complete so check out our Myst Sale with the rest of the series -now fine-tuned for improved Win10 stability, among other things- going for up to -65% off until July 8, 10pm UTC. Goshdarn classics, the lot of them.

Myst III: Exile takes place 10 years after Riven, when an enigmatic man breaks into Atrus' study and steals the Releeshahn book as part of his plan to exact revenge upon the wise explorer's sons.

The final showdown between Atrus and his malicious sons takes center stage in Myst IV: Revelation. We must once again travel to wondrous worlds and conquer brain-twisting puzzles in pursuit of Atrus' scheming offspring. As in the rest of the series, our choices will dramatically change the final outcome of this battle of wits.
FINALLY order returns to the universe. Too bad they aren't part of the sale though as noted. I'd still pick up a physical copy of the collection though for posterity.
Post edited June 30, 2018 by PromZA
Mr.Mumbles: Not really. If these stats are anything to go by Win 10 took the top spot around the end of last year: now 47% vs 39%.

Once you go into the gaming niche it looks like there may be even a bigger gap when you compare stats from something like Steam's hardware survey: ~58% vs ~37%.
Well what do you know, enough people finally fell for the botnet. I wonder how many people were forced into it because it was an upgrade time and Win 10 was the only windows you could still easily purchase.
Thank you gog... instant purchase... yes, yes o GOD YES!
Yippee um well i have to go play Myst now ;)
low rated
MORE THAN 6 BUCKS FOR EACH TITLE???

GOG and Cyan you've gotta be f#cking kidding me!!!!!!!

Is this some kind of hidden message, like "Please don't buy and just pirate my titles cause i'm a greedy distributor/publisher!!!!!!"
Post edited June 30, 2018 by apehater
Sooo...anyone tried GOG's version of Myst IV to see if it works in WINE?

DDDespair: Regarding Exile's "Intel GPUs are not supported" note, can anyone define "unsupported?" Because the old 10th Anniversary disc version of Exile works fine on my Intel GPUs...minus pic related for graphical bugs.
eiii: That's disappointing and something I do not understand. Aren't current Intel GPUs more powerful than even high-end graphics cards 17 years ago? And why does a game with rather low graphics requirements not support these cards?
I'm running the GOG release of Myst III Exile using the latest nightly build (0.40git) of the OS X-native version of Residual VM (full screen with V-sync, anti-aliasing/OpenGL renderer), on a 2007 2.0 Ghz MacBook with 64 MB GMA 950 graphics. While I've only just gotten to J'nanin, the game runs just as well as it ever did on my 400 Mhz Power Mac G4 back in the day. In fact, Residual VM's Mac OS X port supports 10.4+ and there's even a PPC build of it, so you could conceivably run the game on hardware older than mine.

I'm guessing the "Intel GPUs are not supported" note is mainly because they want to remove themselves from any obligation or responsibility to support users using integrated graphics, especially since more often than not, the default response to "Game x isn't working on my computer with Intel integrated graphics" is, "Upgrade your graphics card".
Post edited June 30, 2018 by rampancy
Sweet, I got in to the Myst series between 2005 to 2008, and spent many enjoyable hours in all of them especially Uru. It took me so long as when I got really stuck, I played something else for a while. Came back fresh, and figured out the solution.

Uru was also my first time modding games, long afrer the majority had stopped playing or modding it, and learning how to find dead sites (Wayback Machine) and ferret out "Lost" mods from html folders, served me well.
I've never stopped modding, and that's still the main reason I use GOG, and PC today.

I had the misfortune of getting a new Pentium 64o single core PC just 3 months, before gaming switched to Dual Core.

The Myst series were some of the older games I pirated back then, long before GOG made old games accessible o0nce more.
So now I finally own all of the Myst games on GOG, at last. Plus being an Obduction backer.

If it's not obvious, Uhuru N'Uru is the name I gave to the very first character I created in a game, and has been my online name ever since.
Uhuru is not the Star Trek Comm officer, even though that first Character was a black woman
My name is taken from the Reggae band Black Uhuru, and means Freedom in Swahili, and N'Uru is a D'ni styled surname.
Post edited June 30, 2018 by UhuruNUru
Lucian_Galca: "Starring actor Brad Dourif"

I can't believe that's not listed in the description for Myst III. I mean come on, he's Chucky, he's awesome, and he's from my home state of West Virginia (Try not to laugh at us. Nevermind, go ahead and laugh, we deserve it). :P

Edit: Finally my new avatar updated. Looks stylin. I loves my Armored Core Raven's Nest logo.
i am a huge fan of Brad Dourif, he had that special vunerability/unhinged aspect to all his roles that worked for me
Lafazar: Uh oh, some of the "Myst 25th Anniversary Collection" Kickstarter backers are not going to be happy that they get to play the digital re-relase of Myst 3 and 4 later than GOG customers.

Wait a second, I am a backer myself. Personally I don't think it's the end of the world, but I don't think this is a particularly smart move by Cyan either, especially after pulling this exact same thing once before with the Obduction Kickstarter.

I wonder what went on behind the scenes. Did GOG help with some of the technical aspects of the re-releases and got a period of exclusivity in return? That would actually make sense to me.
I am also a backer of the 25th anniversary, it has caused some impact that the game was released by GOG before the launch for those who paid for the anniversary. Anyway, I do not think there's a big difference. Maybe we have some support in terms of hardware. I have an Intel processor, maybe if there are compatibility problems, they can be resolved more accurately.
In short, cyan people have given us much more than what can be achieved by GOG. I do not give details for a question of confidentiality that I have with the people of Cyan and the project.
Post edited July 01, 2018 by r4zorxt
low rated
deleted
Post edited July 01, 2018 by Fairfox
HunchBluntley: What's more, the product page for Uru has this note:
Compatibility notice: This game is incompatible with Intel graphics controllers.
HunchBluntley: Not sure whether "graphics controller" is a legitimate term of which I'm just unaware, or somebody botched writing that notice.
It's in common use or was. GPU has largely replaced it as now they are graphics processing units. (thanks marketing)
Post edited July 01, 2018 by Gydion
HunchBluntley: What's more, the product page for Uru has this note:

Not sure whether "graphics controller" is a legitimate term of which I'm just unaware, or somebody botched writing that notice.
Gydion: It's in common use or was. GPU has largely replaced it as now they are graphics processing units. (thanks marketing)
Interesting. If I have heard the term before, it must have been long ago. Thanks for the knowledge.
In this case, I think marketing might've had a point -- for the average gamer, a controller is a gamepad. Besides, now everyone gets to talk about how powerful their unit is. ;P
Two Myst games at once! Or as Bernd das Brot would say, 'Doppelmyst'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU_mL0dOqlw
Post edited July 01, 2018 by Falkenherz
DDDespair: The thing is, Intels are shoved into a lot of pre-built laptops, so if your game doesn't work with them at all, isn't that a potential share of the market you're losing out on?
Exactly my thoughts. These GPUs are just there as they are integrated into most modern CPUs. And having an additional dedicated GPU only reduces the battery runtime by a lot and is overkill even for most of the games.

rampancy: I'm running the GOG release of Myst III Exile using the latest nightly build (0.40git) of the OS X-native version of Residual VM (full screen with V-sync, anti-aliasing/OpenGL renderer), on a 2007 2.0 Ghz MacBook with 64 MB GMA 950 graphics. While I've only just gotten to J'nanin, the game runs just as well as it ever did on my 400 Mhz Power Mac G4 back in the day. In fact, Residual VM's Mac OS X port supports 10.4+ and there's even a PPC build of it, so you could conceivably run the game on hardware older than mine.
Good to know. Thanks! Does the Windows version of the game also use ResidualVM?
Post edited July 02, 2018 by eiii
Holy moly, you guys did it at last! Thank you so much! I've been able to play III because I still have the disks (and they run just fine on Windows 7), but I've never played IV before, and I'd been holding off on V even though I bought it on GOG years ago, hoping this would happen. As soon as my next paycheck comes in, I'm grabbing both of these!
rampancy: I'm running the GOG release of Myst III Exile using the latest nightly build (0.40git) of the OS X-native version of Residual VM (full screen with V-sync, anti-aliasing/OpenGL renderer), on a 2007 2.0 Ghz MacBook with 64 MB GMA 950 graphics. While I've only just gotten to J'nanin, the game runs just as well as it ever did on my 400 Mhz Power Mac G4 back in the day. In fact, Residual VM's Mac OS X port supports 10.4+ and there's even a PPC build of it, so you could conceivably run the game on hardware older than mine.
eiii: Good to know. Thanks! Does the Windows version of the game also use ResidualVM?
Yes, it does. I know this because I tried to run the game in WINE, thinking it was a patched version of the original EXE; it wasn't -- it was running in the Windows version of Residual VM. In fact, GOG and Cyan actually partnered with the Residual VM team to use their work in modernizing Myst III.
Post edited July 02, 2018 by rampancy