It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FATALITY!

Mortal Kombat 1+2+3, the bloodiest, dirtiest, nastiest type of kombat komes to Windows and Mac OS X, DRM-free on GOG.com!

Mortal Kombat 1+2+3 are history, no doubt about that. This kombined release is a romp through that history of gore, violence and kontroversy. The gameplay and graphiks are exactly as you remember them from the arkades, in one konvenient package - it's the most kontent komplete version of these three legendary fighters. Mortal Kombat 1+2+3 has been given the GOG.com treatment, that means a hassle-free experience on modern systems, from beginning to end.

Finish him, or her, in Mortal Kombat 1+2+3, available now DRM-free on GOG.com!
Magmarock: They use dosbox what's wrong with MAME.
DOSbox is a contained platform that isn't emulating actual arcade boards.
Magmarock: Very disappointing :(
Not at all. I'm glad they released DOS versions as they are not available digitally anywhere else. One day they may release arcade kollection and then we will have both :)
Post edited February 13, 2015 by Pyron
HunchBluntley: Shouldn't those have been "GOG.kom"? ; )
tinyE: Okay I'm afraid I have to kill you for that one. :P
What, GOG started it, I just took the joke to its "logikal konklusion". One might even say that I...FINISHED IT.

[runs away]
Post edited February 13, 2015 by HunchBluntley
wow. That was unexpected. Thanks gog.
Magmarock: Very disappointing :(
Pyron: Not at all. I'm glad they released DOS versions as they are not available digitally anywhere else. One day they may release arcade kollection and then we will have both :)
Good point, it's been years since I touched the DOS MK games, it's very interesting to have them available here.

I had 1 and 3, but for some reason never actually bought 2 for my PC, did someone say it has midi music or something?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQkQ9uAGx8k

Music is definitely different.
Post edited February 13, 2015 by djdarko
haydenaurion: There are DOS and Windows versions of MK Trilogy, but I have no idea how good or bad they are as i'm only familiar with the Playstation 1 and Nintendo 64 versions.
ReynardFox: Well I've played the Windows version on my old XP box, it's definitely far better than the console versions. The N64 version was butchered and the PS1 version was crippled due to Shang Tsung load times any time he transformed, the Saturn version managed to somehow be worse. The PC version has no real issues.
I remember the load times when playing Shang Tsung on the PS1. I figured that was a limitation of cds. In that respect, cartridges have an advantage.
Darvond: DOSbox is a contained platform that isn't emulating actual arcade boards.
DOSBox is an emulator too. Even the official website says so. Besides, you're missing the point, since running either version on modern computers is trivial.

The point is, anyway you look at it, the DOS versions are objectively worse than the arcade versions. The former were relevant for their time, but not anymore.

This release is better than nothing, and it's cool that it's available for those that care for it, but it's not the full Mortal Kombat experience, and that's what I care about.
Post edited February 13, 2015 by SmashManiac
This is what's wrong with MAME - quoted from the licence terms (bit of interest highlighted):

Redistribution and use of the MAME code or any derivative works are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions may not be sold, nor may they be used in a commercial product or activity.
Redistributions that are modified from the original source must include the complete source code, including the source code for all components used by a binary built from the modified sources. However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the executable.
Redistributions must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
ReynardFox: It's a crying shame these are the inferior DOS versions. I'm buying the other five games from todays reveal but I'm gonna have to stick to MAME for Mortal Kombat.
Yea, there's no need to steal the arcade versions of the game. They are still being actively sold by WB on Steam, and you can purchase them there.
Repackaging the MAME versions wouldn't have been an option due to the MAME licence. What would have been possible would have been to re-release Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe Edition. This has been released DRM-free on disc for PC before (in fact, that one doesn't even have disc-based copy protection), and contains Mortal Kombat 1 through 3. Midway Arcade Treasures 3 was a bonafide clusterfuck, but Midway Arcade Treasures 2 was just fine.

I still have my copy. I assume WBIE now owns the rights to it through their acquisition of Midway? Zoo Digital owned limited publishing rights to it, but seeing as they no longer exist and the assets were under administration...
Post edited February 13, 2015 by jamyskis
BrandeX: Yea, there's no need to steal the arcade versions of the game. They are still being actively sold by WB on Steam, and you can purchase them there.
They are on Steam, I refuse to support DRM services. I'll be sticking with MAME.
Can someone who has bought the MK thing say or has said whether this is the god-awful MK classic that's being sold on Steam?

If it is, WTF are you doing, gog? Seriously.

Ok after reading through the thread I see that it's not the version there, but this being DOSBOX, and the Steam versions were also emulated, I'm skeptical this won't have the input-latency bullshit those games had.

Port these properly or let them live in emulators. This looks like a horrible cash in.
Post edited February 13, 2015 by johnnygoging
hyperagathon: All three games allow you to rebind keys and change the difficulty, in addition to some other things. Just press F10 when you see the Acclaim logo. Also, the scheme for P2 is numpad + Insert/Home/PgUp etc. - I suspect the diagonals have the same function, but if you have a dedicated set of keys for those, it's quite a pleasant control scheme.
mistermumbles: Huh, yeah, I just found that out by checking a new thread in the MK subforum. Doh! Well, still the initial key layout is just awful. Anyway, it's good to see that it's actually there, plus difficulty modes!

That said, I still wouldn't recommend a gamepad for either MK1&2. MK1 my controller just spazzes all out, and while it works fairly well in MK2 there's no high punch button! WTF! So keyboard it is. Frankly, I even found the third game more comfortable with keyboard controls.
tinyE: What I'd be more worried about is breaking the keyboard. Pads are made to withstand A LOT of pounding and quick tapping, not so much keyboards.
mistermumbles: That all depends. I've yet to break a single keyboard in all of my gaming life, and I've tapped those quite a lot. ;)
For what it's worth, I've tried playing the game on a USB gamepad via a third-party keymapping utility and the game works very well (once I figured out the key mappings).

My partner and I did have problems with the keyboard, but I mainly attribute that to me having a cheap keyboard with lousy switches (as opposed to a gaming keyboard with better quality switches, with faster response times).
It's great to see the MK series come to GOG, I don't mind DOS versions personally, to be honest.
One thing I don't understand is why is it not listed/released as Linux compatible given that it uses DOS versions of the games via DOSBox, which obviously makes it possible to run them in Linux via DOSBox too?

- Agetian
Agetian: It's great to see the MK series come to GOG, I don't mind DOS versions personally, to be honest.
One thing I don't understand is why is it not listed/released as Linux compatible given that it uses DOS versions of the games via DOSBox, which obviously makes it possible to run them in Linux via DOSBox too?

- Agetian
Remember these two golden rules next time you are wondering why something isn't here:

1. It's a legal issue

or

2. It's a technical issue

Sorry I can't go into details, though :/