It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Play a tactical cyberpunk turn-based RPG set on an off-world grindhouse jungle colony. Mechajammer is now available on GOG.COM along with a 10% discount that will last until 9th December 2021, 5 PM UTC!

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
I think it's probably very sensible for people to hold off on playing the game for a while.

I've only had time to play through the tutorial so far and I did enjoy it. But it seems the player base has already unearthed a number of game-breaking bugs/progression stoppers as well as a bunch of design decisions which many people dislike severely.

According to https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/485400/view/3112547107428920392 the devs are already planning updates which I'd assume may change the game significantly. For example, there's supposed to be an update next week which "remove(s) flaws for all backgrounds", though presumably only until they can roll out a proper patch which makes flaws more balanced.

So regardless of whether you like or dislike the flaw system, be aware that there are significant changes on the horizon and if you create your character now, your playing experience may be very different from if you were to create your character after next week's patch.
Post edited December 04, 2021 by Exsurgent
Easy wishlist for me.
Glad to hear they are doing something about those flaws, and bugs in general. I remember after serpents in the staglands the devs were very active post release, and took feedback to heart.

So going to hold off for while first to see what happens, since it does look good.
low rated
Exsurgent: I think it's probably very sensible for people to hold off on playing the game for a while.

I've only had time to play through the tutorial so far and I did enjoy it. But it seems the player base has already unearthed a number of game-breaking bugs/progression stoppers as well as a bunch of design decisions which many people dislike severely.

According to https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/485400/view/3112547107428920392 the devs are already planning updates which I'd assume may change the game significantly. For example, there's supposed to be an update next week which "remove(s) flaws for all backgrounds", though presumably only until they can roll out a proper patch which makes flaws more balanced.

So regardless of whether you like or dislike the flaw system, be aware that there are significant changes on the horizon and if you create your character now, your playing experience may be very different from if you were to create your character after next week's patch.
Sounds like more evidence of the DRM-free advantage if you are one of the apparent minority who do like the game as initially constructed, at least for those buyers who can get the game in time (since GOG does not allow downloads of previous offline installers). That is to say, people who manage to buy the game now and download the offline installer right away would have it before any changes/removals/updates.
rjbuffchix: Sounds like more evidence of the DRM-free advantage if you are one of the apparent minority who do like the game as initially constructed, at least for those buyers who can get the game in time (since GOG does not allow downloads of previous offline installers). That is to say, people who manage to buy the game now and download the offline installer right away would have it before any changes/removals/updates.
Not sure what DRM has to do with it...you can download any version you want at any time from Steam, which can't be said for GOG.
eric5h5: Not sure what DRM has to do with it...you can download any version you want at any time from Steam, which can't be said for GOG.
Can you elaborate on that? I've only ever been able to download the latest versions of Steam games or any betas that may be active on the beta channel. In fact, I seem to remember reading that some people explicitly prevent their Steam clients from automatically updating some of their games to keep them at an earlier version (like when a game with licensed music has to delete those tracks via an update). How do you download earlier game builds on Steam?
Post edited December 06, 2021 by Exsurgent
rjbuffchix: Sounds like more evidence of the DRM-free advantage if you are one of the apparent minority who do like the game as initially constructed, at least for those buyers who can get the game in time (since GOG does not allow downloads of previous offline installers). That is to say, people who manage to buy the game now and download the offline installer right away would have it before any changes/removals/updates.
eric5h5: Not sure what DRM has to do with it...you can download any version you want at any time from Steam, which can't be said for GOG.
What I meant by "the DRM-free advantage" is the ability to download the offline backup installers. If a user is able to do that, they can get a version desirable to them even if a new version has made unwanted (to them) changes. As I write this, there is controversy over the latest Titan Quest update as it evidently added in the "feature" of sending data back to Epic Fail Store, so that is an example where if a user kept a previous version, they can just use their previous version. I do not recommend anyone buying from Scheme whether what you say is true or not, as it is a DRMed platform. I have mentioned in the past how Scheme taking over gaming where basically every big release was beholden to their DRM client, is why I left PC gaming for a long long time out of sheer disgust at what it had become. Along the same lines, even games that supposedly, with tricks, can be played absent the Scheme client, I do not recommend people purchasing them there since to buy there is to support a DRMed store.
rjbuffchix: What I meant by "the DRM-free advantage" is the ability to download the offline backup installers. If a user is able to do that, they can get a version desirable to them even if a new version has made unwanted (to them) changes.
I don't think you read what I wrote. You can download any version of any game on Steam, at any time, regardless of when you bought it. GOG doesn't do that. I agree that DRM is bad, but that has nothing to do with obtaining older versions. Steam has a distinct advantage in that department.

Exsurgent: How do you download earlier game builds on Steam?
How to Download Older Versions of a Steam Game
Thanks a lot for the link, I didn't know this was possible. Though considering that you have to fiddle around with third-party websites and the Steam console, copy around files and then hope that Steam won't automatically update the game again, since you need to have Steam running to start the game, saying you can download any game build you want from Steam at any time is kinda like saying iOS is a totally open system if you jailbreak your phone :D
low rated
rjbuffchix: What I meant by "the DRM-free advantage" is the ability to download the offline backup installers. If a user is able to do that, they can get a version desirable to them even if a new version has made unwanted (to them) changes.
eric5h5: I don't think you read what I wrote. You can download any version of any game on Steam, at any time, regardless of when you bought it. GOG doesn't do that. I agree that DRM is bad, but that has nothing to do with obtaining older versions. Steam has a distinct advantage in that department.
No, I assure you I did :) Though I could have made it more clear instead of just bunching up my response. My take is that "I do not recommend anyone buying from Scheme whether what you say is true or not, as it is a DRMed platform...". To me, yes in a vacuum maybe you can obtain older versions there (and, in some cases,maybe obtain new updated versions sooner) but to me none of that is worth it.
Exsurgent: saying you can download any game build you want from Steam at any time is kinda like saying iOS is a totally open system if you jailbreak your phone :D
Not...really. It's not a 1-click process, but it's not hard either. I see now that Steam is making some changes regarding that feature, but they still support the idea since there's clearly demand for it. If GOG had any sense, they'd make it a 1-click process and then advertise that.

rjbuffchix: To me, yes in a vacuum maybe you can obtain older versions there
There's no "maybe"; I've done it a couple times. I'm not defending Steam, but the problem is that your premise, "GOG is better since you can get older versions if you are lucky enough to download the offline installers when those older versions were available", is just false. Please don't move the goalposts; I think you know better than that. DRM-free is better, yes, but for this particular feature GOG loses, and it doesn't have anything to do with DRM, but rather how the stores implement availability of old versions.
Post edited December 06, 2021 by eric5h5
Technically, all GOG would need to do is just keep older offline installers around, but they probably can't afford the server infrastructure to host all that data. What's more surprising to me is that Steam apparently know about this method of reverting to older builds and they are fine with that - but they won't offer a 1-click method of doing this either.