It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

No light, no light.

Lighthouse: The Dark Being is now available DRM-free, only on GOG.com.

A first-person adventure by masters of classic point & clicks, Sierra On-Line. What goes on inside that eerie lighthouse, occupied by the eccentric Dr. Krick and his little daughter? The mysterious message on your answering machine prompts you to enter, only to find its inhabitants gone. Violently transported to a parallel universe by a malevolent entity, their only hope now is that you'll cross to the other side, overcome the devious puzzles, and bring them back safely.

Feeling spooked yet? If not, treat yourself to some nightmare fuel by visiting our Horror Show sale, where all attractions are up to 90% off until February 13, 11PM UTC. Screams not included.
SkeleTony: So Gog...this game was released in 1996 and in 2001 it worked in Windows XP. Your version released here only works in Windows 7-10.

Why?! Did you have to perform some sort of hack to get it running that somehow prevents it from running on better Windows OSes?! Will this be fixed in the future as Baldur's Gate Enhanced editions were (originally the 'Enhanced editions' of BG, IWD etc. would not run in XP but were later fixed)?
Most likely, it runs fine. Especially if, as someone earlier in the thread suspected, it runs on ScummVM (and even if the GOG.com version doesn't, you can probably get ScummVM to recognise and use the game files). If you want to be safe, it's best to ask in the forums if anyone can try it.

Edit: In any case, Windows XP is almost four years past end-of-life; it makes sense that not every publisher wants to spend resources on testing and certifying games for an OS that not even the OS developer supports anymore.
Post edited February 12, 2018 by Anamon
SkeleTony: So Gog...this game was released in 1996 and in 2001 it worked in Windows XP. Your version released here only works in Windows 7-10.

Why?! Did you have to perform some sort of hack to get it running that somehow prevents it from running on better Windows OSes?! Will this be fixed in the future as Baldur's Gate Enhanced editions were (originally the 'Enhanced editions' of BG, IWD etc. would not run in XP but were later fixed)?
GOG is dropping official support for XP and Vista because those are old OSes. It'll probably still run on Vista and XP, just not be officially supported/have the option for a refund from GOG.
Post edited February 12, 2018 by tfishell
Oh, and if you like FPP shooters and still didn't played NecroVisioN: Lost Company - go get it before it's too late! That game was fun. It's always fun to kill some nazi zombies ;)
Does anyone know if the version here includes the official patch? The original version didn't change your mouse cursor on hotspots, making it very annoying to play.

Anamon: Most likely, it runs fine. Especially if, as someone earlier in the thread suspected, it runs on ScummVM (and even if the GOG.com version doesn't, you can probably get ScummVM to recognise and use the game files). If you want to be safe, it's best to ask in the forums if anyone can try it.

Edit: In any case, Windows XP is almost four years past end-of-life; it makes sense that not every publisher wants to spend resources on testing and certifying games for an OS that not even the OS developer supports anymore.
I know all of that. My point was that we are talking about a game from 1996! The game is not some new game by some developer looking to market to Windows 10 users. I am confused as to WHY this particular edition of the game will not run on an OS it ran fine on for almost 20 years.
SkeleTony: I know all of that. My point was that we are talking about a game from 1996! The game is not some new game by some developer looking to market to Windows 10 users. I am confused as to WHY this particular edition of the game will not run on an OS it ran fine on for almost 20 years.
You're saying it doesn't run on XP, though – my thought was that it probably does, but either GOG or the publisher decided not to offer official support for it.

I did buy the GOG release, and I have XP running on a VM. If you like I can quickly give it a go and see if it will run. A VM is not exactly the same, of course, but I would assume that if it runs fine there, it will run fine on a real XP (much more certainly than if it was the other way around).

Edit: I did the test. It does, in fact, not run on all versions of Windows that the original did (which also came with Windows 3.x and DOS binaries). As suspected, the release runs on ScummVM, and as with all ScummVM releases I played previously, it sadly comes only with the game files, not the original binaries. I believe it was Lure of the Temptress where this bugged me last time, since the ScummVM emulation lacks a superior sound emulation that you can get when running it on DOSBox with the original EXEs. I would personally also prefer if it came included with all original files – heck, I'd like it if original media images were available by default – but I get that this is not GOG's focus.

That being said, the game does install and run on Windows XP, as long as it has been updated to at least Service Pack 2 (this is the minimum OS requirement for ScummVM).
Post edited February 18, 2018 by Anamon
SkeleTony: I know all of that. My point was that we are talking about a game from 1996! The game is not some new game by some developer looking to market to Windows 10 users. I am confused as to WHY this particular edition of the game will not run on an OS it ran fine on for almost 20 years.
Anamon: You're saying it doesn't run on XP, though – my thought was that it probably does, but either GOG or the publisher decided not to offer official support for it.

I did buy the GOG release, and I have XP running on a VM. If you like I can quickly give it a go and see if it will run. A VM is not exactly the same, of course, but I would assume that if it runs fine there, it will run fine on a real XP (much more certainly than if it was the other way around).

Edit: I did the test. It does, in fact, not run on all versions of Windows that the original did (which also came with Windows 3.x and DOS binaries). As suspected, the release runs on ScummVM, and as with all ScummVM releases I played previously, it sadly comes only with the game files, not the original binaries. I believe it was Lure of the Temptress where this bugged me last time, since the ScummVM emulation lacks a superior sound emulation that you can get when running it on DOSBox with the original EXEs. I would personally also prefer if it came included with all original files – heck, I'd like it if original media images were available by default – but I get that this is not GOG's focus.

That being said, the game does install and run on Windows XP, as long as it has been updated to at least Service Pack 2 (this is the minimum OS requirement for ScummVM).
Thanks for the information and running that test. I am pretty sure I have the latest service pack (3?) but it sounds like this may be a hassle so I will skip this one.