It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Live to fly, fly to live.

<span class="bold">Knights of the Sky</span>, a high tale about acing the art of aerial combat, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 50% launch discount.

Some ride across the countryside in armored horses, some lay the heads of slain dragons on the feet of impressionable princesses, and others try to survive hails of bullets with only half an engine, a jammed gun, and a legendary dogfighter on their tail.
These are the Knights of the Sky, doing battle high over the trenches and aerodromes of World War 1 for the freedom of their country and the title of the ultimate Ace of Aces. Gather intelligence on your opponents, hop on one of the 20 renowned fighter planes, and get ready to face your destiny as you try to keep Baron Manfred von Richtofen in your crosshairs and yourself out of his.

Look your opponent in the goggles and reduce him to a trail of descending smoke as you fight to become a legend among the <span class="bold">Knights of the Sky</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 50% launch discount will last until July 26, 12:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hX0JFUyfWAo
Post edited July 21, 2016 by maladr0Id
almabrds: My PC is good enough to run, so not complaining.
Just curious and confused why it requires Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz and 1Gb RAM.
DOSBox (it uses this emulator, no?) doesn't seem to be too demanding, but I'm no expert.
I don't know, it seems strange.
Well dosbox is not too demanding, true enough, but it still uses some CPU power . Dosbox will by the way use 100% of one of the cores of the CPU, making the dual core requirement reasonable enough . I suppose however that a P4 would do the job as well

If I remember well, a P4 running Dosbox emulates Pentium I level performance, and a Core 2 duo emulates a Pentium II level performance. But then all depends how the dosbox parameters have been set.
Why does the game menu give only options for "flight training" and "exit game"?

Does the game have it's copy protection active?
Looking at the screenshots and some gamplay videos on YouTube, it reminds me of a game called Chocks Away! that I had on my Acorn Archimedes A3000 when I was a kid.
murkki: Why does the game menu give only options for "flight training" and "exit game"?

No, it does not.
murkki: Why does the game menu give only options for "flight training" and "exit game"?

Same here....Main menu as you say as only the two options.......just shot a support ticket off to GOG.

J
YAY a Classic Game and a Flight Sim my favourite Genre.

Would have been good if it was the Amiga version but I'm still happy GoG is putting up classic old games.....please lets have more.........

Instabuy

JKELL: Same here....Main menu as you say as only the two options.......just shot a support ticket off to GOG.

J
Any trouble with throttle controls?
My keyboard doesn't recognize + and - keys from the numpad.
JKELL: Same here....Main menu as you say as only the two options.......just shot a support ticket off to GOG.

J
murkki: Any trouble with throttle controls?
The plus and minus keys on the number pad did not work for me, but the plus and minus on the main keyboard do.

J

JudasIscariot: No, it does not.
I was hoping you was going to say yes ;)
You would lose 10 karma points, but it would be worth it!
*generic evil laugh*
The GoG downloader doesn't like the installer, it just sits there paused so I downloaded it manually.

No thankyou for Galaxy, I prefer manual downloads just that the GoG Downloader is having problems with some titles recently for me. I know it doesn't get updated anymore but still..........
murkki: Any trouble with throttle controls?
JKELL: The plus and minus keys on the number pad did not work for me, but the plus and minus on the main keyboard do.

J
Ouch. That is kinda bad news for me and my laptop.

edit. Found a solution holding down AltGr and pressing ´ gets me more throttle.
Post edited July 21, 2016 by murkki
high rated
I think this game appeared around the same time as Red Baron, and always played a second fiddle to it?
PMIK: As usual for this era, the Amiga version looks so so so so so much better.
Nope. This game was released in 1990 (1991 for Amiga), and as was already common by then, it used 256-color VGA graphics with a better color palette compared to Amiga's 32-color (OCS) graphics.

PC version: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/knights-of-the-sky/screenshots/gameShotId,139/

Amiga version: http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/knights-of-the-sky/screenshots/gameShotId,449105/

Notice how the PC version has better looking sky and the colors overall are smoother, with gradient colors? Plus, the PC version probably ran more smoothly, being a 3D polygonal game and all.
IAmSinistar: I remember this one on the Amiga. Obviously superior there, but the DOS version is welcome too. Thanks!
No no no, and still no! :)

Oh yeah, and the PC version supported analog flightsticks. I am pretty sure on Amiga you had to do with a digital on/off joystick in this game.

Flight and space combat simulations were one genre which were usually superior on PC (in the early 90s and so), for the reasons stated above (VGA graphics, faster polygonal graphics, and analog joystick support).

EDIT: I just tried both the GOG version I just bought, and the Amiga version on WinUAE emulator. Yep, overall the PC version is superior. The only thing where I'd say Amiga wins in that the engine sound is more convincing (I tried the PC version both with Adlib and Roland MT-32 sound support), but other than that, the PC version is the definite version with better and smoother graphics and better controls.
Post edited July 22, 2016 by timppu
Bought both because I want the game, and to remind GoG that people still buy classic games. I'd like to see more of Retroism's existing Steam catalog brought over (Hyperspeed, F-19) as well as some more classic MicroProse games (Midwinter, Flames of Freedom) and classic flight sims in general (Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe).

Indie games are okay, but I come here for classics.
Lowe0: Bought both because I want the game, and to remind GoG that people still buy classic games. I'd like to see more of Retroism's existing Steam catalog brought over (Hyperspeed, F-19) as well as some more classic MicroProse games (Midwinter, Flames of Freedom) and classic flight sims in general (Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe).

Indie games are okay, but I come here for classics.
Would love to see Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe! It was super-choppy on my family's 286 and I still played it endlessly.

European Air War would also be a great addition to GOG's classic flight sim collection.
This release reminds me I really should buy a Joystick. I already have some flight- and spacesims in my backlog, but most are unfortunately untouched. I already targeted a Thrustmaster T-16000M for a while, but instead of buying it I instead spend more and more money in just more games ;-) Unfortunately it got also more expensive.

But back to todays classic release. Never played, just heard about it. Call me interested, but for now it's maybe smarter to save some money for a joystick instead of buying another flightsim ;-) So dear knights, we will surely meet someday in the future.

edit: and yes to more microprose releases. Never played many of their simulators, but thanks to the advertisements in other games ( as example civilization I) know many of them by name and left me back fascinated about them;-)
Post edited July 22, 2016 by DukeNukemForever