It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Riders on the storm.

<span class="bold">Kingdom: New Lands</span>, the definitive edition of the stunning and innovative 2D strategy sidescroller, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com. Owners of the original Kingdom, will receive this updated version for free. The original game is still accessible separately through the library.

Riding through your wonderful, pixel-art kingdom, wisely dispensing justice and coin to your subjects, is all well and good, but what about exploring new lands? Well, you'll need this expanded edition for that. And perhaps a new mount.
Kingdom: New Lands builds upon the gorgeous art and unassuming charm of the original with new set pieces, new characters, and additional travelling companions, while keeping the innovative gameplay elements that made it shine. Expanding on the surprisingly effective mix of 2D sidescrolling with resource management and strategy, Kingdom: New Lands again gives you the reigns of your procedurally-generated domain. You're in charge of the well-being, prosperity, and unity of your people, and when the darkness comes at night to take everything you have, you'll stand by your men until the very end.

Drive your <span class="bold">Kingdom: New Lands</span> into a new age of prosperity, DRM-free on GOG.com.
If you like how the game sounds, hop onto the enriched <span class="bold">Kingdom Soundtrack</span> and ride into the sunset.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fcY1Ux9hyi0
Post edited August 10, 2016 by maladr0Id
IAmSinistar: Made it much further last night through the game, up to Day 32. Was finally bulldozed by big enemies, though mostly I was let down by my idiotic archers. Instead of manning the forward towers I was building on the side where the attacks were coming from, a bunch of them gathered on the other side of the city and just hung out doing nothing.

This game desperately needs a manual, because it's unclear on how to get townsfolk to do what you need them to, or even if you can.
I made it as far as fifth island so far, and I never found a way to directly tell your villagers what to do. You have to learn how they react to your actions and then avoid doing things that cause them to behave badly. I find engineers are particularly badly behaved. When you start building forward wall and have catapult at the previous wall, they give priority to pushing the catapult slowly to it's next destination and THEN build the wall. And then it's evening and you still have only level 1 wall (in the better case) to hold the enemies. Solved by having surplus engineers and starting early in the morning, that way you can usually max the new wall by the evening. Unless they think it's better idea to go cut trees you have marked - so don't do that either.

AFAICT, archers always do one-left-one-right when recruited and gather near the outer wall of that side of the town. And no way to redistribute them. If one side gets seriously weakened in an attack, that's as good as a loss. If you manage to stop the wave and have lots of gold saved you can try to re-recruit the people and give them new bows, but you have to move very fast to pull if off. There is usually one day without monsters after heavy wave (blood moon). I'm dangerously near such situation on the fifth island, but I have ship built and waiting for me, so if things start looking dire I have an escape route.

And don't bother with towers too much, they are weak without walls before them to hold off the monsters. There are max 3 archers in each and the monsters move past them too fast for them to do any significant damage. Only thing positive about tower is that normal monster can't reach your archers - but flying horrors can. Only way to survive later in the game is a wall, strong garrison of archers behind it and a catapult. Even knights don't do much good in defense, they are for attacking.

By the way 4th and 5th islands have no travelling merchant, you have to survive only on farms and hunting. Good luck,
huan: snip
Thanks for the info! The automatic distribution of archers sounds like it's left over from the original game, when you could be attacked from both sides in the first land. Though honestly I would still like the game to be smarter across the board about how your town reacts. It would be great if they would add something like bell towers, which would summon all free fighters to an area that is under assault.

Ultimately though the game seems to be a test of how quickly you can get your village ramped up and the boat built, since there are clearly some monster waves which aren't meant to be survivable.
huan: snip
IAmSinistar: Thanks for the info! The automatic distribution of archers sounds like it's left over from the original game, when you could be attacked from both sides in the first land. Though honestly I would still like the game to be smarter across the board about how your town reacts. It would be great if they would add something like bell towers, which would summon all free fighters to an area that is under assault.

Ultimately though the game seems to be a test of how quickly you can get your village ramped up and the boat built, since there are clearly some monster waves which aren't meant to be survivable.
Take a look here for a good info let's play from this game.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGe_S5n7MjT32kTygnL_hPkbXZ8CEQ5bH
Hmmm the game and soundtrack is on a deep discount (85%) however the royal edition only 40% despite the only difference being the included soundtrack right?. The game worth a go? replayability? (not finding many of the deep discounted games that i dont have, appealing to me...many of the ones i dont have seemingly have poor reviews..)
Niggles: Hmmm the game and soundtrack is on a deep discount (85%) however the royal edition only 40% despite the only difference being the included soundtrack right?. The game worth a go? replayability? (not finding many of the deep discounted games that i dont have, appealing to me...many of the ones i dont have seemingly have poor reviews..)
Kingdom:Classic is free to play on steam so you might want to demo it, New lands brings new stuff but the formula is basically the same. It has a slow pace but for me it's addictive.
Niggles: The game worth a go?
Yes. It'd badly balanced compared to the original (it has trap options and it's harder, so you're punished for trying different things) but still worth it.
Niggles: replayability?
Like looking at a beautiful painting - you might want to look at it again.