It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
pkk234: Was it there before?
LiefLayer: https://web.archive.org/web/20170417134433/https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/core-business/

I think that page was born not drm-free in 2017, but since Gwent was also not drm-free I think it started there (or maybe it was even before when they released the "optional" client, by the way they said it was optional in 2017 now they don't say that anymore on the same page.
I kid you not, if they make Galaxy obligatory, I am out of here. I don't care if there are other customers who are too stupid to deal with anything else than a client.
low rated
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game.
lolplatypus: I'm interpreting "bringing this topic to our attention" and "we're looking into it" to mean an honest mistake or error in judgement that caught you off guard and needed to be pointed out.

But if that's the case and there seem to be game updates without changelogs, how do I know I'm not updating other games into always online requirements that need to be brought to your attention, after the refund period to boot? How's this supposed to work going forward?

lostwolfe: until then, this sort of thing is going to /keep/ happening for EVERY new release you post, because it's impossible - now - to tell - without other users telling us - what the status of each game is that you put onto the store shelf.

that's bad for you.

but it's also kind of bad for us as customers.
lolplatypus: Isn't it also bad for every other developer here legitimately trying to adhere to DRM-free, as well?
i slept on this and you're absolutely right.

now there's no clear cut answer to a given developer for what "drm-free" even looks like.

it creates complete confusion everywhere along the chain.

good going, gog!
high rated
lolplatypus: I'm interpreting "bringing this topic to our attention" and "we're looking into it" to mean an honest mistake or error in judgement that caught you off guard and needed to be pointed out.

But if that's the case and there seem to be game updates without changelogs, how do I know I'm not updating other games into always online requirements that need to be brought to your attention, after the refund period to boot? How's this supposed to work going forward?

Isn't it also bad for every other developer here legitimately trying to adhere to DRM-free, as well?
lostwolfe: i slept on this and you're absolutely right.

now there's no clear cut answer to a given developer for what "drm-free" even looks like.

it creates complete confusion everywhere along the chain.

good going, gog!
DRM-FREE to me is when a game doesn't have any garbage required to play/run. I can be offline, install the game-files offline, and go.

This means no typical DRM junk (SafeDisc, StarForce, Tages, Securom, Denuvo, ) and no client-app stuff (UPlay, Steam, Galaxy); no phone home crap when I finish a chapter (hey, Might and Magic X, I'm looking at you here); and none of that stuff is required for the content to work.

The game should just work, once I have the game-files and installed the game. THE END. PERIOD.

So, this includes all single-player content - content that I can play all by myself and NOT need any other players to work with to progress in the game.

Yes, this also includes ALL DLC's and Expansions that have single-player offline content.

And yes, in Hitman 1's case - that means everything for us probably should be unlocked that ships w/ the game, straight-up. Elusive Targets, Escalation Mission, Story Mode, all the progression stuff in Story Mode, etc etc.

The only time I should have to access IO's servers for online is actually trying to download new user-made content to download to actually get that stuff - which means once I want to boot any of that content once I go offline, that stuff should work while I'm OFFLINE.

I shouldn't need to phone home online or be online at all, to play any single-player style content that I should be able to play all by lonesome self.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by MysterD
6355: Hmm... As was pointed out DRM-free is not (anymore?) notable feature of GOG:

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/core-business/#gog

Attached screenshot as of 2021-09-25.
Wow, now that's concerning
high rated
chandra: Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks.
Thank you for your reply. Until you do, don't you think it would be more honest to update the banner at the top of the game page which currently reads:

"Please note: Internet connection is required to access Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts. Story and bonus missions can be played offline."

You fail to mention the most important thing locked, which now that the topic has been brought to your attention, you surely know about.

Here is a suggested banner:

"Warning! Internet connection is required for all game meta-progression, such as unlocking weapons, disguises, starting locations, etc., which in a sandbox-like game such as this forms the bulk of the game. Additionally, internet connection is required to access Escalation missions, Elusive Targets (no longer available), and user-created Contracts. Story and bonus missions can be played offline, but only with the default loadout."

Godspeed.
Post edited September 27, 2021 by mrkgnao
low rated
Ganyse: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/core-business/#gog

I notice that the mention "DRM free" has disappeared
Well, I think it's becoming clearer and clearer what GOG will do

Edit > Ah, I see it has already been mentioned
thats nothing but , what is that stellar support it is talking about :O
6355: Hmm... As was pointed out DRM is not (anymore?) notable feature of GOG:

my name is supyreor catte: Now that's extremely telling.
Not really. According to Wayback Machine, the page has never mentioned "DRM-free" since it first appeared online, in 2017.

Assuming this is somehow binding for them, I don't think they could have had it in, even back then, because of Gwent.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by mrkgnao
Ganyse: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/core-business/#gog

I notice that the mention "DRM free" has disappeared
Well, I think it's becoming clearer and clearer what GOG will do

Edit > Ah, I see it has already been mentioned
pkk234: Was it there before?
This is taken from the Wayback Machine, it was saved in April 2017. There is no mention of DRM Free.

There were several core values in their statement at some point, "DRM free" is basically the only core value that is left,
I remember such discussions about this topic in the forum several years ago. It was around the time they dropped the "Good Old Games" name and the old gog.com logo or the Galaxy.release.
Attachments:
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Arundir
low rated
6355: Hmm... As was pointed out DRM-free is not (anymore?) notable feature of GOG:

DRM has NEVER been mentioned on that page before
Dont spread misinformation dude.
Absolutely disappointing of GOG / CD Project to be removing reviews mentioning the DRM in Hitman.

This game should not be listed until it's fully DRM-Free
low rated

Starsmine: DRM has NEVER been mentioned on that page before
Dont spread misinformation dude.
But it does appear on the front page as of this site right this moment. Unless in this screenshot below they're implying that DRM-free only applies to select games.
Attachments:
Post edited September 25, 2021 by xKadiNx
They still have a statement about DRM on their website, but it's not in the exact form of "DRM-free" and it's not on the page you guys are referring to.

Go to this page:

http://www.cdprojekt.com/en/capital-group/

to find this comment:

"We create cutting-edge innovative entertainment and, thanks to our proprietary distribution platform, provide gamers from around the world with access to a vast pool of releases, free of cumbersome DRM restrictions."

Obviously that sentence doesn't directly refer to GOG.com, and like said, the term in the exact form of "DRM-free" is missing. But clearly they are indicating that their customers should expect DRM-free releases.

How they manage to combine online requirement and "free of cumbersome DRM restrictions" is the big unanswered question here.
But because they use the word "restrictions", it would take some explaining to do how requiring an online connection isn't restricting the user.
low rated
DD & Ji Ji: ...something that can be fixed by a mod...
Could you please post/pm me the link(s)? I only found mods for HITMAN 2 and 3.
mrkgnao: Not really. According to Wayback Machine, the page has never mentioned "DRM-free" since it first appeared online, in 2017.

Assuming this is somehow binding for them, I don't think they could have had it in, even back then, because of Gwent.
That doesn't change the point that's being made in any way. The point is that CD Projekt doesn't see DRM-free as being something worth mentioning about GOG - whether they decided that recently or four years ago doesn't change much.
mrkgnao: Not really. According to Wayback Machine, the page has never mentioned "DRM-free" since it first appeared online, in 2017.

my name is supyreor catte: That doesn't change the point that's being made in any way. The point is that CD Projekt doesn't see DRM-free as being something worth mentioning about GOG - whether they decided that recently or four years ago doesn't change much.
Fair enough. You don't have to convince me. I've been fully boycotting GOG since January this year, and partly since the release of Gwent.