It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
If anyone is curious to see peak insanity of GOG DRM defending - https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_sable_cfbf7/post12

These people, ladies and gentlemen, are why we're fucked.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Breja
Breja: If anyone is curious to see peak insanity of GOG DRM defending - https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_sable_cfbf7/post12
I think there is some possible argument to make in situations like these where the core story mode is what really matters. That in 20 years when the servers are gone and you want to revisit these games the main missions are what will really matter. I haven't played them but I believe there are games on GOG already where the singleplayer is much more limited than the online mode, like No Man's Sky.

However the problem with that in this specific case is that without the challenges, unlocks and escalations Hitman 2016 is a VERY bare bones game. 6 missions and a few bonus missions which can literally finish in 10 minutes each if you just walk to the target and kill them. The entire point of the game is to do the challenges which require different methods, competence and unlocks to achieve.

They could easily make those work offline and take away the leaderboards only. They don't because of DRM reasons, simple as that.
high rated
fckdrm yes but also fck you new gog and fck you too IOI and fck you too stupid gog user that don't care about drm-free on games.

fckdrm.com should not redirect on gog anymore.
I wonder how many "many gamers" are, and how many more we need to get this fixed.
Jigowatts121: Well I am absolutely astounded then. That video basically confirms that GOG were happy with the state of the game. So this doesn't even come down to a mistake, its deliberate.
Oh, I'm not defending them, I thought the same. Just who came to the conclusion this would fly?
i want to swing by here to say:

while i'm not into shooters, at all, hitman seems particularly goofy and could have been fun as a dumb romp to play where you just do everything wrong for the sake of that.

buuuuut, i'm not a shooter guy, and this was ALREADY a shaky prospect as a result. so now, you've effectively lost the sale of someone who might have been mildly curious and who just bought the game for the sake of it and then never played it. ie: YOU LOST FREE MONEY.

good going, gog and ioi :P

SCAgent: IOI and GOG are in talks apparently, don't know what they'll do but at least they are aware of the backlash.

Source is from the latest stream they did. timestamp at 54min.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1156865525?t=00h54m00s
Linko64: I honestly have to wonder how this happened. The clip is awkward to watch, fella on the right looks like he's sitting on hot spikes when the topic comes up.

The process of any signing of games is pretty long but you know what you are signing, I don't really understand how it can go through multiple elements on both sides, with both parties knowing who the are dealing with, the game then going through testing, then marketing/community preparing stuff and the results is 'here's a game packed with DRM on DRM-FREE store' and stunned silence as they're surprised by the reaction.

I don't want to assume people don't do research into products they sell, but this with Devotion does suggest there's a no research made or they're just signing anything they can get their hands on without knowing what it is.

This should have been a big catch for GOG, but taking it with DRM should have been a no straight away. You can't build your house on foundations and run campaigns like 'FCKDRM' only to accept DRM and do it in a manner where you act as nothing has happened.

As a fan of the service and preservation, it's sad to see the betrayal of the DRM-Free approach and the lack of care towards the process of curation.
this was my take on it, also.

he sounds so CONFUSED.

and there's NO WAY he could be that confused.

plus, there's a whole bunch of weird deflection: "we'll talk to you later once we know."

pardon me?!

you KNEW from the time you signed up to put your game on gog.

like even before then, i'll wager.

gog is QUITE SPECIFICALLY drm-free.

they go out of their way to talk that up.

soooooo.

this smells extra fishy.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by lostwolfe
lostwolfe: plus, there's a whole bunch of weird deflection: "we'll talk to you later once we know."

pardon me?!

Honestly, there's nothing strange to me here. GOG signed off on releasing the game as is. Obviously the publisher assumed the game complies with the store's policies. It's only logical. GOG should have (probably did) expected the backlash, but the publisher had no reason to assume there would be a problem. It's not like they smuggled something onto the store without GOG's ok.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Breja
lostwolfe: plus, there's a whole bunch of weird deflection: "we'll talk to you later once we know."

pardon me?!

Breja: Honestly, there's nothing strange to me here. GOG signed off on releasing the game as is. Obviously the publisher assumed the game complies with the store's policies. It's only logical. GOG should have (probably did) expected the backlash, but the publisher had no reason to assume there would be a problem. It's not like they smuggled something onto the store without GOG's ok.
while this is true, as the original poster i quoted said:

there's multiple rounds of this process, and everywhere along the line, ioi had time and space to a) work out what they needed to do to get the game to a drm-free state [which is on them] and b) for gog to test and see that this was working out the right way [which is on gog.]

plus, as i say: this guy must have been living under some very weird rock to not know that one of gog's "pillars" is drm-free. acting surprised about it is - at the very least - worrisome.
Gosh GOG, it's horrible having to read about the release of this game that's too defective to run on my offline gaming PC!
high rated
Breja: Obviously the publisher assumed the game complies with the store's policies.
It's even worse. GOG thought the game complies with the store's policy (according to the only blue post in this very thread), GOG has become delusional about what has to be considered DRM-Free and what not. Then again, they once thought implementing a client into each game could be a goofd idesa because their customers might be too stupid to install them seperately ... so maybe GOGs logic and mine simply aren't the same.
lostwolfe: there's multiple rounds of this process, and everywhere along the line, ioi had time and space to a) work out what they needed to do to get the game to a drm-free state [which is on them]
It's only "on them" if they were ever told by GOG they need to do so to sell the game here. If the deal with GOG was taht the game is ok as it is, then it wan't "on them" to do anything.

lostwolfe: plus, as i say: this guy must have been living under some very weird rock to not know that one of gog's "pillars" is drm-free. acting surprised about it is - at the very least - worrisome.
When the store tells you your product meets their requirements, and then suddenly there's a shitstorm - there's every reason to be surprised. It's not on the publisher to do second guess the store as to whether their game really, really meets those requirements.

The fault is entirely GOG's.
low rated
NuffCatnip: I'm on my phone right now, can't access reddit at the moment in general.
All I know is, yesterday the GOG reddit was "oddly" inaccessible.....though whether it was due to a higher number of user visits or the staff there pulling the plug is anyone's guess.
lostwolfe: there's multiple rounds of this process, and everywhere along the line, ioi had time and space to a) work out what they needed to do to get the game to a drm-free state [which is on them]
Breja: It's only "on them" if they were ever told by GOG they need to do so to sell the game here. If the deal with GOG was taht the game is ok as it is, then it wan't "on them" to do anything.

lostwolfe: plus, as i say: this guy must have been living under some very weird rock to not know that one of gog's "pillars" is drm-free. acting surprised about it is - at the very least - worrisome.
Breja: When the store tells you your product meets their requirements, and then suddenly there's a shitstorm - there's every reason to be surprised. It's not on the publisher to do second guess the store as to whether their game really, really meets those requirements.

The fault is entirely GOG's.
yeah, sorry.

we're just not going to see eye to eye on this issue, either.

this is a both sides issue.

ioi absolutely knew who they were selling to and gog absolutely knew what the process was to get from point a - a contract to point b - sales on the store.

that neither side worked toward that is problematic.
low rated
EnforcerSunWoo: bots

(Imagine being enough of a loser to have bots downvote posts for you because it hurts your fragile lil' fee fees)
Well, at least they keep our future AI overlord(s) happy. o.0 ;)
Post edited September 23, 2021 by GamezRanker
Breja: The fault is entirely GOG's.
Yep, whether GOG's curation is now simply too lazy and stupid to properly assess the content of a game, or if they knew everything and still thought it was acceptable, it's all on GOG.