It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
Chasmancer: Alas, I do believe I am unknowingly sabotaging your boycott, seeing as even though I've joined up very recently, less than a month ago, I have already spent a ton of money and filled two library pages with great games. And I don't regret that, even though most of them were repeat purchases.

Still, I would gladly speak up against all sorts of forced online dependency, spyware and censorship, especially that of entirely innocuous things (throwing out a nice game over a cartoon bear easter egg, why, GOG, WHY?).
You can be sympathetic without directly boycotting; my boycot was initally noted as a passive agressive boycott.
high rated
Sad and disappointed what GOG slowly turned themselves into. I really don't know what they were thinking or better yet, how they dared to cross this line. If this is a sign of the things to come, we should all be worried.
Magnitus: At this point, its an automaton that makes money for shareholders.
That statement is not so accurate, because as of the most recent financial reports, GOG has been losing its shareholders' money, not making them any.

And GOG's decision to embrace DRM (this Hitman GOTY example is not the first time they've done it) is probably one of the large reasons as to why they are losing their shareholders' money.

dragonslayerxxx: I really don't know what they were thinking or better yet, how they dared to cross this line.
Probably because, it seems, many/most GOG customers didn't care when they added DRM to Cyberpunk 2077. So that lack of caring most likely emboldened GOG to take a step further into the DRM rabbit hole.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
If anyone wants to join me in a 'forum game' applying this "But it's not DRM!" Hitman DRM to other games, come on over here to this other thread I made:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/make_your_own_drm_example
mqstout: And the shareholders should be EXTREMELY upset at GOG management's devaluation of their company by removing its single competitive advantage against its market peers.

By the way, "DRM-agnostic" has been tried and failed numerous times. ShinyLoot is but one example. It's hard to convince both customers and producers when you don't have a clear niche.
I could be wrong, but I have the intuition that at this point, GOG has reached the limits of how much revenue they'll generate based on the drm-free model.

Now, if the end-goal was providing a good service sustainably, maybe that would be enough, but with the profit-driven goal of constant growth and "carving a worthy empire", maybe the current revenue stream is a net disappointment (especially when compared to giants like Steam) and they are willing to either scrap the whole thing or reach the next level in terms of incoming profits.

Ancient-Red-Dragon: That statement is not so accurate, because as of the most recent financial reports, GOG has been losing its shareholders' money, not making them any.
I was under the impression that they had been at least moderately profitable lately, but if they haven't, all the more reason for them to want to shake things up.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Magnitus
Magnitus: I'll reiterate my past point here, but GOG is a corporation with clear profit-driven responsibilities to investors, not a movement.
mqstout: And the shareholders should be EXTREMELY upset at GOG management's devaluation of their company by removing its single competitive advantage against its market peers.

By the way, "DRM-agnostic" has been tried and failed numerous times. ShinyLoot is but one example. It's hard to convince both customers and producers when you don't have a clear niche.
Exactly.

I don't know how profitable GOG's DRM free stance is, but I imagine they wouldn't improve profits by turning into a another DRM client.

Look at how "wildly successful" Epic Game Store has been. They have one of the biggest games in the world exclusive to their platform and are giving away games for free every week, and they've barely made a dent in Steam's popularity. Without the paid exclusivity and freebies, no would even give EGS a look. Why would CD Projekt fare any better?
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Sheershaw
Magnitus: Honestly, I personally can live with a drm-agnostic store (I'm here for the drm-free games, not the store, remember?), provided 3 basic things are done:
- The degree to which the game is drmed is clearly indicated (they currently aren't doing that with multiplayer and they are starting to slip with single-player too)... not hidden somewhere, shown prominently with a lot of clarity as to what is entailed... not my problem if it looks bad for marketing, I don't want to spend money on a drm-infested mess
- If a game is released drm-free, don't sneak in drm that will pollute my backups afterwards
- I can easily find the drm-free games and filter out the rest

If I don't have those 3 things, then yes, my interest in the store will drop very fast.

So no, they can't just do whatever the heck they want with DRMed titles (like they are doing here) and keep my interest.

I'm pretty tolerant about the pragmatic realities of running a business, but this is just bad service for me.

If getting the games I want becomes a hassle (and it has for this title), then I'll go elsewhere or if an alternative is lacking, just enjoy my backlog and wait for one to appear.
That is exactly my stance, except that I am less tolerant than you, so they have already reached my limit.

Their not having a clear DRM indication/filter is my primary reason for boycotting them. I have stated repeatedly that if they add such a filter/indication, regardless of how many DRM games they have on their store, I will return to buying here.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by mrkgnao
Darvond: You can be sympathetic without directly boycotting; my boycot was initally noted as a passive agressive boycott.
Oh, I am sympathetic. I just cannot join with the protest in good faith, seeing as I'm both very new here, and spent a lot of money in that very short timespan already.
high rated
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
Someone from the GOG team needs to go mark this #2 highest ever wishlist entry (#1 highest of real wishlist entries) from "in progress" to "rejected":

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/continue_to_be_a_drmfree_store_today_tomorrow_and_forever

63,000 community wishlist votes trashed.
Darvond: You can be sympathetic without directly boycotting; my boycot was initally noted as a passive agressive boycott.
Chasmancer: Oh, I am sympathetic. I just cannot join with the protest in good faith, seeing as I'm both very new here, and spent a lot of money in that very short timespan already.
Darvond meant that you can list yourself as "sympathetic" on the boycott thread, rather than as "boycotter". There are two lists there.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by mrkgnao
How many people in this thread have email GOG about the issue? Getting hundreds of emails form upset customers might a be good way to get the point across.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by SuperLibby72
SuperLibby72: How many people in this thread have email GOG about the issue? Getting hundreds of emails form upset customers might a be good way to show them.
I have. But they're already weeks behind on support (And have been for the 10 months at least) and will promptly close it without thought or care.
SuperLibby72: How many people in this thread have email GOG about the issue? Getting hundreds of emails form upset customers might a be good way to get the point across.
I opened a ticket for this reason.
Not sure if they will reply
SuperLibby72: How many people in this thread have email GOG about the issue? Getting hundreds of emails form upset customers might a be good way to show them.
mqstout: I have. But they're already weeks behind on support (And have been for the 10 months at least) and will promptly close it without thought or care.
If tickets are being closed, then it's upper management telling them to do it. Sounds like GOG might need someone better in charge.
SuperLibby72: How many people in this thread have email GOG about the issue? Getting hundreds of emails form upset customers might a be good way to get the point across.
LiefLayer: I opened a ticket for this reason.
Not sure if they will reply
I'll send email as well. I hope they make statement.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by SuperLibby72
high rated
From Silent Assassin to Silent DRM.
Mission failed, Agent 47 !