It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
DreamedArtist: Do you guys think it will come back or IO will just pass on it? I was really looking forward to it but you know.. =/
Gersen: Honestly unless Gog do something themselves that IOI is ok with I highly doubt. As I said before if there is any chance of IOI ever making the online progression offline it would be with Hitman 3, I don't see them spending any money on Hitman 1 when the third one is basically an upgrade of the first two games and allows you to play their levels.
I can't imagine reworking the code to make at least the singleplayer campaign progression work completely offline to be that hard and/or cost-intensive for IOI.

I think it's more of a question whether IOI wants to be the one responsible for creating a precedent with essentially conforming to GoG's specifications and rework a high-profile title such as HITMAN into a superior version compared to the ones available elsewhere.

From a financial standpoint it would likely be quite lucrative to make a "GoG Edition" of not only the first HITMAN, but the second and ultimately the third one as well. I for one would gladly pay the full asking price for "mostly DRM-free (where it matters)" HITMAN, HITMAN 2 and HITMAN 3.
low rated
mastyer-kenobi: It's been 5 years on a game they have no intention to keep up, and they outright tried to pull a sneaky to get the game on GoG. I wouldn't put money on any chance IO takes the DRM off of -any- release.
rjbuffchix: Emphasis mine...how do you "know" that's what happened? If anything, wouldn't it be more likely that GOG were the ones who tried to "sneak" a DRM-laden release into the store while hoping there wouldn't be too much backlash? I ask this, given GOG's increasing direction towards DRM (content locked behind proprietary client requirements, partnership with Epic Fail where DRMed games can be sold, shifting definition of how developers and publishers can design their games how they want)?

Questions still unresolved:

-How do we know our existing games (not necessarily new releases) won't be "improved" with online requirements in updates?

-How did Hitman Online Edition come to release here in the first place?

-Why is there no mention whatsoever in the staff response to assure that GOG is and will remain DRM-free?
Dude, are you seriously suggesting that it's even on the table that GoG purposely used an outdated versions with DRM in it as some kind of overtone window. This is conspiracy theory, it is not helpful or meaningful in any way. for fuck sake stop giving IO a free pass for this shit because you desperately want to villainize GoG
low rated
mastyer-kenobi: Dude, are you seriously suggesting that it's even on the table that GoG purposely used an outdated versions with DRM in it as some kind of overtone window.
Outdated version with DRM in? Are you under the impression that a version without the online progression problem exists but IOI didn't give it to GOG because... what, they wanted to be evil? Now that's a conspiracy theory.
Post edited October 17, 2021 by my name is supyreor catte
low rated
mastyer-kenobi: Dude, are you seriously suggesting that it's even on the table that GoG purposely used an outdated versions with DRM in it as some kind of overtone window.
my name is supyreor catte: Outdated version with DRM in? Are you under the impression that a version without the online progression problem exists but IOI didn't give it to GOG because... what, they wanted to be evil? Now that's a conspiracy theory.
Outdated just means not updated, old, forgotten. Compared to Stellaris Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri is an outdated game. Hell given how old it is alpha Centauri could be called outdated entirely. IO wanted to throw Hitman onto a store in the cheapest lazyest way possible. Updating the game to modern hardware and a new UI for the new store would take money and time after all. I don't think it's a far stretch to call IO lazy when they chucked their old game to GoG stores without bothering to update it it for said store. I wouldn't even call IOs release "evil" just, lazy.

The point is IO being lazy and selfish is on them. Saying this is a plan from GoG and they were totally involved and okay with it for some grand plan to incorporate DRM like Denuvo or Galaxy login into a game, is nothing more a conspiracy theory. My apologies for not making that a bit more clear.
Post edited October 17, 2021 by mastyer-kenobi
low rated
mastyer-kenobi: IO wanted to throw Hitman onto a store in the cheapest lazyest way possible. Updating the game to modern hardware and a new UI for the new store would take money and time after all. I don't think it's a far stretch to call IO lazy when they chucked their old game to GoG stores without bothering to update it it for said store. I wouldn't even call IOs release "evil" just, lazy.

The point is IO being lazy and selfish is on them. Saying this is a plan from GoG and they were totally involved and okay with it for some grand plan to incorporate DRM like Denuvo or Galaxy login into a game, is nothing more a conspiracy theory. My apologies for not making that a bit more clear.
I think part of why that wasnt "clear" is your earlier statement:
mastyer-kenobi: It's been 5 years on a game they have no intention to keep up, and they outright tried to pull a sneaky to get the game on GoG. I wouldn't put money on any chance IO takes the DRM off of -any- release.
At least to me this did imply malicious/deceptive intent and not just laziness.
low rated
mastyer-kenobi: The point is IO being lazy and selfish is on them. Saying this is a plan from GoG and they were totally involved and okay with it for some grand plan to incorporate DRM like Denuvo or Galaxy login into a game, is nothing more a conspiracy theory. My apologies for not making that a bit more clear.
I didn't "say" that; what I'm saying is that it is a possibility we cannot rule out without further information, which most likely has to come in the form of clarification from GOG. You are claiming it is NOT a possibility. Prove your claim.

Cyberpunk is the flagship game here and is by CDPR themselves. Are you aware it has a "My Rewards" feature in which singleplayer content is not accessible without a Galaxy login? Did IOI sneak that in there under GOG's nose too?

Why can't both IOI and GOG be to blame? IOI for their DRM-infested game, and GOG for accepting their DRM-infested game. There shouldn't be any DRM in games on a DRM-free store.
low rated
tfishell: I don't think it'll be back. Unfortunately, I imagine IO probably doesn't want to spend the resources to DRM-free it or let GOG handle it. (perhaps not enough money to be made here to justify it)
I reckon you are probably right, and they probably already made a killing here, if not quite the one they hoped for, so one can be entirely cynical about how long GOG took to stop sales of it here. Or maybe they knew what was likely to happen, and everything was done to a plan. Just another step in easing the store toward DRM.

With lack of transparency (clarity and explanation), all sorts of conspiracies can come to the fore.

I see Hitman GOTY is now on sale at IndieGala at something like 86% off.

In all likelihood they will just milk things as they are, and then maybe, just maybe, but probably unlikely, consider GOG again as a way to get more sales and revenue. With a certain saturation level though, it will be harder for them to justify making the necessary (costly no doubt) changes to the game. Profit rules all.

P.S. If GOG had stopped the sales much earlier, then the chances of the game coming here again, would have been much greater, with more customers to buy it. Presuming it would ever have come here in a proper DRM-Free state.
Post edited October 17, 2021 by Timboli
low rated
DreamedArtist: Do you guys think it will come back or IO will just pass on it? I was really looking forward to it but you know.. =/
tfishell: I don't think it'll be back. Unfortunately, I imagine IO probably doesn't want to spend the resources to DRM-free it or let GOG handle it. (perhaps not enough money to be made here to justify it)
Here's the thing:

IIRC, these NuHitman games do online checks for all the levels the player owns. I suppose this was patched out of the gog version (or else the levels themselves would be DRMed too). This also means that theoretically, if the sequels were to show up here, there'd be no easy way for the game to perform such a check, as it would have been patched out, which would mean that gog players couldn't play 1's levels on 2 or 3's engine.

Ergo: It would probably make the most sense for gog to sell a DRM-free trilogy bundle eventually.
low rated
chandra: Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
A lot of rebuilding to do, for sure.

It has been coming for some time. Just, stop, taking us, for idiots.

We're happy to pay your wages, if you treat us with some respect....
low rated
rjbuffchix: Cyberpunk is the flagship game here and is by CDPR themselves. Are you aware it has a "My Rewards" feature in which singleplayer content is not accessible without a Galaxy login? Did IOI sneak that in there under GOG's nose too?
not only that. GWENT is also DRMed and you can't even download offline installers for that game if you're not using Windows. The page is empty on Linux because gog (or possibly IOI lol) decided to hide gog galaxy from Linux users everywhere on site. Conveniently they moved GWENT forums outside of gog store so people complaints won't be that visible for other gog users.
low rated
rjbuffchix: Cyberpunk is the flagship game here and is by CDPR themselves. Are you aware it has a "My Rewards" feature in which singleplayer content is not accessible without a Galaxy login? Did IOI sneak that in there under GOG's nose too?
djoxyk: not only that. GWENT is also DRMed and you can't even download offline installers for that game if you're not using Windows. The page is empty on Linux because gog (or possibly IOI lol) decided to hide gog galaxy from Linux users everywhere on site. Conveniently they moved GWENT forums outside of gog store so people complaints won't be that visible for other gog users.
Yes, unfortunately I am aware of GWENT, I say "unfortunately" as it is a clearly DRMed game on this store, but thank you for bringing it up as I feel it does not get enough discussion/flak compared to what it represents here. I purposely left GWENT out of my own question there, however, because often the counterargument I get is "it's an online game, that's just how it's designed!". One would think that particularly in a topic about IOI's defective (i.e. DRMed) design of the Hitman online game, it would be ridiculous to try and make excuses for CDPR's similar "gotta be connected" design, but that doesn't necessarily stop people :)

I was not aware they moved GWENT forums as I don't think I had ever sought them out. A better solution would be to move GWENT itself off-site too, Cyberpunk off-site, any DRMed game off-site until it can be fixed to work completely DRM-free on this site. No one is saying these products can't exist (though, I would argue there shouldn't be any DRMed products anywhere and that they are objectively bad). Just if they're going to exist, they should be in a more appropriate place. If I recall correctly, GWENT is sold on mobile app stores so there's no reason it couldn't exclusively be sold there or on CDPR's own corporate page, etc.
low rated
Sarafan: There are exceptions from the rule. I agree on that. I spent a lot of time playing Guild Wars solo many years ago myself. Most of the MMORPGs shine however only when they're played online. They were designed this way and that's why their solo experience is quite blank.
MysterD: Any game that is "shine however only when they're played online" is just really poor design. Good design would make it work for everyone - whether online w/ other players or offline w/ AI/bots/party members.

And since you said you did "solo" this many years ago and since Nightfall does have bots/AI/NPC's/party members that you can have tag along w/ you (yes. I own all the GW pieces, but never finished it and own GW2), then all main-story and single-player content should work when offline period.

Plus, GW is actually decent w/ storytelling and stuff like that, too. Not the best, but it's at least there for solo-players.

There are say arena-based MP-style games like Quake 3 Arena, which are blast even in offline mode. More skirmish modes should allow for offline play and also offer LAN support...besides you usual tie yourself to THEIR central server stuff.

You can't tell me, there's no good games like say the MP for COD4: Modern Warfare or any modern COD just can't work offline in a skirmish mode, like say Q3A/TA does.
What about games like The Division etc?
low rated
MysterD: Any game that is "shine however only when they're played online" is just really poor design. Good design would make it work for everyone - whether online w/ other players or offline w/ AI/bots/party members.

And since you said you did "solo" this many years ago and since Nightfall does have bots/AI/NPC's/party members that you can have tag along w/ you (yes. I own all the GW pieces, but never finished it and own GW2), then all main-story and single-player content should work when offline period.

Plus, GW is actually decent w/ storytelling and stuff like that, too. Not the best, but it's at least there for solo-players.

There are say arena-based MP-style games like Quake 3 Arena, which are blast even in offline mode. More skirmish modes should allow for offline play and also offer LAN support...besides you usual tie yourself to THEIR central server stuff.

You can't tell me, there's no good games like say the MP for COD4: Modern Warfare or any modern COD just can't work offline in a skirmish mode, like say Q3A/TA does.
Danielx64: What about games like The Division etc?
I'd love to see always-online games like The Division, GR Breakpoint, and other always-online MMO's properly re-worked into offline games, if they could figure out ways to make the game work w/ bots, AI, etc for offline mode; or re-tool the game to work w/ one player.
low rated
After the fiasco of Hitman, I hope they'll be carefull with the two last Tomb Raider games that were just patched to remove Denuvo, but Square also added Epic Online Services. And since GOG seems to be in good terms with Epic...

If you read this, GOG staff, we don't need Epic shitty services, particularly on GOG, and worse, if it require to login to an Epic account as it currently do.
Don't mess Rise of TTR and Shadow of TTR releases, be careful with Square.
low rated
Vechernyaya: After the fiasco of Hitman, I hope they'll be carefull with the two last Tomb Raider games that were just patched to remove Denuvo, but Square also added Epic Online Services. And since GOG seems to be in good terms with Epic...

If you read this, GOG staff, we don't need Epic shitty services, particularly on GOG, and worse, if it require to login to an Epic account as it currently do.
Don't mess Rise of TTR and Shadow of TTR releases, be careful with Square.
Not only that (about the EOS crap getting added), but many on Steam couldn't even play single-player TR 2013, Rise of the TR, and Shadow of the TR while offline.

We need more games to have built-in offline single-player support & Achievements support built-into the engine right into the game itself.

We also need this games for installs while offline too, if need be - for these games to work and install, when not tied to the service online.

I'm really growing tired of this locking single-player progression crap that New-Hitman games are doing; the always-online crap Back 4 Blood is pulling for solo mode & that progression, stats, and/or Achievements can only be done while doing multiplayer w/ other players online; and now what TR 2013, Rise, and Shadow are doing w/ EOS to play a single-player game that you need to be always online.

This crap started with AC2 on Uplay (at least that got pulled w/ its always online nonsense) and got worse when D3 did it - and Diablo 3 PC is the worst example here, as it STILL has always-online for even when you solo.

This non-sense that Steam-versions of TR 2013, Rise & Shadow of the TR is doing to require EOS to play always-online for a single-player game is garbage. This needs to stop. And it's not like these games are new - heck, TR 2013 came out around 8 years ago or so, for crying out loud.
Post edited October 19, 2021 by MysterD