It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
Tazman: Well, since GoG has not replied lately and it looks like they are basically giving us the middle finger on this topic...

I have been researching and experimenting with cracking my steam games. I've been fairly successful moving the Steam game to it's own hard drive with a fresh OS and no DRM Launchers of any kind. Once I have all my Gog Games installed and all my Steam games cracked on the new drive, I'll mostly wipe the old drive and only boot it to download any new purchased steam games to transfer to my No DRM / No Launcher OS Drive.

As for future purchases with GoG... Getting a Steam sale and crack is probably quicker than waiting for the game to arrive on GoG. I'm not outright boycotting GoG at the moment... but I'm definitly keeping my options open.
How much time on average does it take to do a "crack"?
Tazman: Well, since GoG has not replied lately and it looks like they are basically giving us the middle finger on this topic...

I have been researching and experimenting with cracking my steam games. I've been fairly successful moving the Steam game to it's own hard drive with a fresh OS and no DRM Launchers of any kind. Once I have all my Gog Games installed and all my Steam games cracked on the new drive, I'll mostly wipe the old drive and only boot it to download any new purchased steam games to transfer to my No DRM / No Launcher OS Drive.

As for future purchases with GoG... Getting a Steam sale and crack is probably quicker than waiting for the game to arrive on GoG. I'm not outright boycotting GoG at the moment... but I'm definitly keeping my options open.
richlind33: How much time on average does it take to do a "crack"?
Finding the crack might be the harderst part... a google search for a reputable old "nocd site" is a good source for some, since a majority of the cracks nowadays are for steam versions (that was a hint without revealing names)... for the rest... probably gotta hit the sea-bearing torrent sites. Also gotta be careful of game versions to the appropriate crack. Sometimes takes 2-3 drifferent crack downlads to get one that works.

Then it only takes a minute to replace a few files usually the game.exe (or gamelauncher.exe) and the Steam_api.dll

Then you launch the game exe directly without Steam running.
Post edited October 07, 2021 by Tazman

Most Steam games are available on non-reputable sites, so I'm guessing going through these loops is fairly easy. I was told about some emulator that actually worked on legal copies with no issue, but never really got around to make it work with my games (Hey, we got GoG's DRM-Free policy, so whatever, right?).

I'm.. not exactly sure if the software itself is legal for what it does (A console emulator, for instance, it is legal, and its source code its available at gitlab, although its giving me some issues to clone the repo now and I've had enough programming for today after my workday, lol), but it seems pretty much a one-stop for any actual offline backup/drm-free version of most games.
Post edited October 07, 2021 by Neurus_Ex
Neurus_Ex: Most Steam games are available on non-reputable sites, so I'm guessing going through these loops is fairly easy. I was told about some emulator that actually worked on legal copies with no issue, but never really got around to make it work with my games (Hey, we got GoG's DRM-Free policy, so whatever, right?).

I'm.. not exactly sure if the software itself is legal for what it does (A console emulator, for instance, it is legal, and its source code its available at gitlab, although its giving me some issues to clone the repo now and I've had enough programming for today after my workday, lol), but it seems pretty much a one-stop for any actual offline backup/drm-free version of most games.
From what I have found, an Emulator or a Steam crack is nearly the same thing. Both usually replace the steam_api.dll file. The difference is that Emulators usually also let you do multi-player on a LAN and have a few other features. Since i don't want anything running in the background, I prefer cracks even though they take a little more effort to find. Also some games don't work in emulators without being cracked anyway.

Either way... one is still legitmately purchasing the game... just circumventing the DRM and Store Launcher Data Mining. I'm definitly not advocating downloading whole games for free.
Post edited October 07, 2021 by Tazman
The working week is almost over, still no answer?
And GoG caved to the german censorship as well, so likely not a chance to get uncensored Subverse...

So, there is absolutely no reason at all to still buy here. At least they fixed the broken offline installers. I think it's time to backup all my GoG games.
Post edited October 07, 2021 by Ranayna
Tazman: From what I have found, an Emulator or a Steam crack is nearly the same thing. Both usually replace the steam_api.dll file. The difference is that Emulators usually also let you do multi-player on a LAN and have a few other features. Since i don't want anything running in the background, I prefer cracks even though they take a little more effort to find. Also some games don't work in emulators without being cracked anyway.

Either way... one is still legitmately purchasing the game... just circumventing the DRM and Store Launcher Data Mining. I'm definitly not advocating downloading whole games for free.
Not the same thing, but a way to achieve the same thing, which I guess was the objective of richlind33. IMHO the emulator looks to be easier and safer (The code is available and is game-agnostic while these "fixes" come from god-knows-where and are game-specific).

Anyway, to each its own and all that. Still, last time I checked (mid 2000's) using a crack was against the TOS on most retail games (Although there has been some hilarious news on Steam games like Max Payne using the no-cd cracks on their official releases), so take that into account. (And yeah, it's your computer. I'm just talking about the "official" point of view and providing some alternatives).
Neurus_Ex: Most Steam games are available on non-reputable sites, so I'm guessing going through these loops is fairly easy. I was told about some emulator that actually worked on legal copies with no issue, but never really got around to make it work with my games (Hey, we got GoG's DRM-Free policy, so whatever, right?).

Tazman: From what I have found, an Emulator or a Steam crack is nearly the same thing. Both usually replace the steam_api.dll file. The difference is that Emulators usually also let you do multi-player on a LAN and have a few other features. Since i don't want anything running in the background, I prefer cracks even though they take a little more effort to find. Also some games don't work in emulators without being cracked anyway.

So you weren't using the term loosely, which means we're likely to incur the management's wrath if we persist.
low rated
Cracking your own games it 100% legal, as if getting someone to do it for you. BUT, it has to be your games. They can't just give you a cracked version of the game, you have to either do it yourself or find someone who does. And like any form of DRM, how difficult this is depends on the skill of the guy in charge of encryption and the general programming team. So yes it is actually quite difficult the legal risks involved are not insignificant given the blurred lines we're dealing with here.

I think we also keep focus on forcing an answer from GoG, perhaps further discussion onto this is DRM and the collapse of faith this will have, as well as an agreement to 1-star any game with DRM on it as non-functional with a full explanation in those games as they appear. since, you know, it is non-functional as far as I think most of this thread is concerned.
Ecumen1cal: powerpoint city
stealing this for when i run a game on high and it refuses to co-operate.

this is a great term. thanks :)
also, given the other conversation about what to do with steam drm:

[this is a massive derail, so pardon me]:

i would avoid sailing the seven seas. that'll just get your computer into trouble.

if you desperately want to buy from steam and have the games end up drm-free, the two projects i'd look into are:

goldberg - which is a steam emulator
steamless - which actually attempts to remove some of the steam drm.

they're both on gitlab, which means you can actually inspect the code [or other people can] - those are both FAR safer options.
chandra: Nothing has changed, we continue to look into it and will update you on this subject.
in that case, please accept my reply:

nothing has changed. i continue to boycott your store and will update you when you decide to change your stance. [i'm sincerely hoping you will, but i somehow doubt it.]
Post edited October 08, 2021 by lostwolfe
chandra: Nothing has changed, we continue to look into it and will update you on this subject.
From what I've read if you guys can somehow get Hitman 2 or 3 on GOG you can remove Hitman 1 because 2 and 3 already have all the missions. I'm still not sure how the unlocks in those games work. Please keep us posted.
low rated
MysterD: Wolfenstein: TOB out-the-box doesn't run well, as it's on that "meh" RAGE 1 Engine / Id Tech 5. It runs at 60fps, sure - but that engine has issue, as it's really built for 60fps. That's like trash performance on my RTX 3070, even compared to say something like APEX Engine for RAGE 2 which runs at like 1080p maxed-out at 150-200fps or so on the regular.
Eh, 60 FPS is fine enough, imo. I was running it at sub 25FPS before I adjusted the settings....now THAT was a pain.

====

Neurus_Ex: Anyway, to each its own and all that. Still, last time I checked (mid 2000's) using a crack was against the TOS on most retail games.....
As you probably know, EULAs are unenforceable(in whole or in part) in a number of countries.

====

richlind33: So you weren't using the term loosely, which means....
Why would GOG get mad? I thought GOG was all about DRM free. ;)
(but agreed, time to move back to the primary topic)
Post edited October 08, 2021 by GamezRanker
MysterD: Wolfenstein: TOB out-the-box doesn't run well, as it's on that "meh" RAGE 1 Engine / Id Tech 5. It runs at 60fps, sure - but that engine has issue, as it's really built for 60fps. That's like trash performance on my RTX 3070, even compared to say something like APEX Engine for RAGE 2 which runs at like 1080p maxed-out at 150-200fps or so on the regular.
GamezRanker: Eh, 60 FPS is fine enough, imo. I was running it at sub 25FPS before I adjusted the settings....now THAT was a pain.
Sure, 60fps is fine...but games can do better than that. Especially shooters & fast-paced action games, which needs as much performance as possible.

I used to think like that of "Nobody needs more than 60fps...." until I actually experienced it for myself, in games (Especially fast-paced ones) that support it properly.

And also, Id engines normally can do better than this, especially on Higher End Hardware. Games like DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal (on newer Id Engines) run like champs or better hardware - i.e. better video cards, better monitors w/ G-Sync and/or FreeSync support; and high framerate support built for 90-240+ performance - where the gameplay is super-duper smooth. No screen tearing, no input lag from turning on junk like VSync, butter-smooth performance, and even high-FPS losses are unnoticed once you get that high and still stay over 60fps, as many won't see other that. You get no input lag from KB/mouse; no worries if millions of explosions, fog, RT and other stuff can kill your framerate; etc etc.

It's Gaming Heaven - and one should definitely experience it for themselves.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by MysterD
Neurus_Ex: Anyway, to each its own and all that. Still, last time I checked (mid 2000's) using a crack was against the TOS on most retail games (Although there has been some hilarious news on Steam games like Max Payne using the no-cd cracks on their official releases), so take that into account. (And yeah, it's your computer. I'm just talking about the "official" point of view and providing some alternatives).
Licenses are not leases. A license only defines the physical state of ownership to immaterial ownership. If you signed an end user LICENSE agreement, it it not a lease. If it was, you wouldn't be allowed to have a backup on if, and thus it be illegal to make a backup of your hard drive. you have full legal rights to modify any file you own, which includes cracking. Valve or anyone else doesn't even have a right to file against you, let alone actually defend anything in court.

90% of EULAs are unenforceable. It's to the point they are jokes. From all legal standpoint cracking your own files is 100% legal.