It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
The desperation with which they're burying the game is actually hilarious. I'm impressed at just how quick they've run with their tail between their legs, when really, an answer, one way or the other, would probably quell a lot of this talk.

At this point, they're not going to make any sales on the game, and the chances of another IOI game coming here are slim to none, so why not say something?
high rated
chandra: Nothing has changed, we continue to look into it and will update you on this subject.
Any more news 9f nothing to report? We certainly appreciate open communication and honest dialogue.

This hoopla wouldn't have been nearly so big had there been honest communication and open dialogue.
chandra: Nothing has changed, we continue to look into it and will update you on this subject.
paladin181: Any more news 9f nothing to report? We certainly appreciate open communication and honest dialogue.

This hoopla wouldn't have been nearly so big had there been honest communication and open dialogue.
Yeah. At this point, they have to WANT this hoopla. Perhaps to show some short-sighted investor?
high rated
RawSteelUT: Perhaps to show some short-sighted investor?
To show what? How they are sabotaging their own business? Repeatedly?

I'm not even talking about things like self-respect, honesty and decency, because they obviously don't have a slightest clue about these things anymore. They had one job, a good and important one, and they blew it. This is... annoyingly disappointing.
RawSteelUT: Perhaps to show some short-sighted investor?
Kerebron: To show what? How they are sabotaging their own business? Repeatedly?

I'm not even talking about things like self-respect, honesty and decency, because they obviously don't have a slightest clue about these things anymore. They had one job, a good and important one, and they blew it. This is... annoyingly disappointing.
Only thing I can think of is that letting a game with this much DRM on the shop is like when Nintendo tried to put out mobile games to shut investors up, and all of them bar Pokemon Go failed.

While the likely reality is that CDP Blue doesn't know what the hell they're doing half the time, one has to entertain that this is an intentional act of self-sabotage to appease/silence some idiot investor.
Ok this is the last day I'll watch this topic. There are more important things then staying after gog.
I was already on the boycott but of course that was not definitive (I would have wait a few months to let my anger calm down but if gog would solve the problem there was a possibility to come back).
Now it is.
2 weeks after the release of this game with no answer is what I call a way to avoid the problem, and I don't want to buy in any store that does that (for me that's worst than drm and be incompetent at the same time).

Yesterday I contacted the epic store support via chat to ask if a game was able to work without the epic launcher, they said to me that even if it could they don't officially support this so it could change. That's not the answer I was hoping for but it is an honest answer that I got in less then 5 minutes. That is what I call a good support.

That too is even more important than drm free.

Because in the end I can buy games from any store and refund if they are not drm free or if I cannot remove the drm and I need to do the same thing on gog because at the end gog got drm now multiple times and this time is only worst than usual.

There are multiple reasons to not buy anything on gog ever, and almost none to buy from gog again (the main reason would be to change and go back to 100% drm free).

That is the last day I take a look at this topic or write on it. I already made a backup of most of my games. Next step will be to remove me from the newsletter and stay away from here. I still follow many game news so I will know if there are any free games giveaways, only for that I will come back for a short amount of time. But if I don't buy here for years I might get used to not buying anything on gog ever.
low rated
LiefLayer: Yesterday I contacted the epic store support via chat to ask if a game was able to work without the epic launcher, they said to me that even if it could they don't officially support this so it could change. That's not the answer I was hoping for but it is an honest answer that I got in less then 5 minutes. That is what I call a good support.

There are multiple reasons to not buy anything on gog ever, and almost none to buy from gog again (the main reason would be to change and go back to 100% drm free).
So DRM is incredibly important, so important that you're willing to dump the entire storefront forever, on the basis one game finds a loophole in. Instead you run to fucking Epic of all things, a game with even worse DRM practices than steam, and a launcher that makes Galaxy and Steam look like beautiful masterpieces. And you're reason? Because they gave you an easy answer you didn't have to pay any attention to or show any patience for.

This man right here is my example of why I asked people in another thread, "okay, do you have a plan after boycotting GoG," because I fucking knew I'd start seeing this shit. This entire debacle, the entire existence of this thread is predicated on the existence of DRM in this game, and how wrong it is to have. But suddenly that means nothing and principles bend like a paper wire the second GoG doesn't give an instant answer, on demand, without a second thought. Suddenly DRM isn't a basis for boycotting and going to Epic of all things is perfectly logical and not at all hypocritical.

And don't try to tell me this about honesty or transparency. You are a complete ignoramous if you think Epic is in any way shape or form remotely trustworthy or above-broad. It's in even in the post the main reason to come back would be DRM, so play "DRM isn't important anymore" isn't a card on the table. This has and always will be about DRM.

To anyone who's even considering boycotts to GoG for this, I will not shame you for boycotting GoG. But -THIS- is nothing shy of selfish hypocrisy and moral abandonment. You do not get to claim even the slightest of morality if you complain about DRM and why it's important to have consistent anti-DRM, and then run off to steam or worse epic. If you value DRM so much you're willing to outright not even look at a storefront, then stick to your guns and double down; Say you won't do business with a store unless you can take it on faith there won't be DRM. But, if you're willing to buy from Steam, and especially Epic Games, you have zero basis to boycott GoG.

No this isn't some personal pick on Leif, I had this rant coming for a while because I have outright been seeing hints of this mindset, he's just the first guy I found to outright say it. I can't stand this stupid hypocrisy.
low rated
LiefLayer: Yesterday I contacted the epic store support via chat to ask if a game was able to work without the epic launcher, they said to me that even if it could they don't officially support this so it could change. That's not the answer I was hoping for but it is an honest answer that I got in less then 5 minutes. That is what I call a good support.

mastyer-kenobi: So DRM is incredibly important, so important that you're willing to dump the entire storefront forever, on the basis one game finds a loophole in. Instead you run to fucking Epic of all things, a game with even worse DRM practices than steam, and a launcher that makes Galaxy and Steam look like beautiful masterpieces. And you're reason? Because they gave you an easy answer you didn't have to pay any attention to or show any patience for.

This man right here is my example of why I asked people in another thread, "okay, do you have a plan after boycotting GoG," because I fucking knew I'd start seeing this shit. This entire debacle, the entire existence of this thread is predicated on the existence of DRM in this game, and how wrong it is to have. But suddenly that means nothing and principles bend like a paper wire the second GoG doesn't give an instant answer, on demand, without a second thought. Suddenly DRM isn't a basis for boycotting and going to Epic of all things is perfectly logical and not at all hypocritical.

And don't try to tell me this about honesty or transparency. You are a complete ignoramous if you think Epic is in any way shape or form remotely trustworthy or above-broad. It's in even in the post the main reason to come back would be DRM, so play "DRM isn't important anymore" isn't a card on the table. This has and always will be about DRM.

To anyone who's even considering boycotts to GoG for this, I will not shame you for boycotting GoG. But -THIS- is nothing shy of selfish hypocrisy and moral abandonment. You do not get to claim even the slightest of morality if you complain about DRM and why it's important to have consistent anti-DRM, and then run off to steam or worse epic. If you value DRM so much you're willing to outright not even look at a storefront, then stick to your guns and double down; Say you won't do business with a store unless you can take it on faith there won't be DRM. But, if you're willing to buy from Steam, and especially Epic Games, you have zero basis to boycott GoG.

No this isn't some personal pick on Leif, I had this rant coming for a while because I have outright been seeing hints of this mindset, he's just the first guy I found to outright say it. I can't stand this stupid hypocrisy.
I agree with you.

Also what really makes me laugh is when people say they are going to boycott gog. But from the 1st free game available, they come back to get it. If they boycotted for real, they shouldn't even come back even for free games.
low rated
Lukin86: I agree with you.

Also what really makes me laugh is when people say they are going to boycott gog. But from the 1st free game available, they come back to get it. If they boycotted for real, they shouldn't even come back even for free games.
Sorry for cutting so much of the quote, it be a nightmare to read otherwise. But at least that one can be called "I'm just leeching off them," not that it makes it that much less hypocritical, but there is an bad excuse that isn't hard hypocrisy. Then again if you lack the gall to avoid buying from the store even for free, my trust you have the gall to not buy your favorite franchise here without steamworks or Epic launcher is suspect.
low rated
Lukin86: I agree with you.

mastyer-kenobi: Sorry for cutting so much of the quote, it be a nightmare to read otherwise. But at least that one can be called "I'm just leeching off them," not that it makes it that much less hypocritical, but there is an bad excuse that isn't hard hypocrisy. Then again if you lack the gall to avoid buying from the store even for free, my trust you have the gall to not buy your favorite franchise here without steamworks or Epic launcher is suspect.
There are some who really boycott. But according to the posts that I read here in the others. the vast majority who say they are boycotting is not true. Because they continue to do business with gog. They say no longer bought games but bought dlc games they own. Or free game recovery.

Whereas a boycott is no longer any commercial relationship with the target company. While the majority who say they boycott gog in fact continue to have gog in one way or another. How do you want us to take these people seriously or even that gog takes seriously these people who in the end do not respect a real boycott? I really agree to have you, it's just hypocrisy.
Post edited October 06, 2021 by Lukin86
high rated
I don't think it has much to do with hypocrisy. If both stores end up selling games with drm (and yes, this is only one of more to come), it makes perfect sense to choose the better storefront. There is no longer any point in supporting gog, and gog is obviously not interested in supporting its users.

Picking up a free game or not, for those who wants to do so, makes no difference what so ever.

That said, I'm leaving gog as well, and not for any other store. I have never used steam, epic or similar, and I never will.
low rated
Longcat: I don't think it has much to do with hypocrisy. If both stores end up selling games with drm (and yes, this is only one of more to come), it makes perfect sense to choose the better storefront. There is no longer any point in supporting gog, and gog is obviously not interested in supporting its users.

Picking up a free game or not, for those who wants to do so, makes no difference what so ever.

That said, I'm leaving gog as well, and not for any other store. I have never used steam, epic or similar, and I never will.
In real though. Because if you talk about boycotts and in fact you're not really doing it. How do you want others to see even the company that you have decided to boycott listen to you if in the end, you do not do what you say (a boycott). Because if you shout I boycott gog but in the end no. It’s about the business, not going to listen to you.
low rated
Longcat: I don't think it has much to do with hypocrisy. If both stores end up selling games with drm (and yes, this is only one of more to come), it makes perfect sense to choose the better storefront. There is no longer any point in supporting gog, and gog is obviously not interested in supporting its users.

Good on you for not turning hypocrite, I was fearful it was going in that direction. Might I suggest StarSector? I'm playing it now, it's amazing and the upcoming update will be making it even better. I can't wait to have control over a mini-SNK boss. My current gambling bet for it's update is in either November or January.

More to the point, it only make sense to run to a different storefront in two conditions. First, if GoG is exclusive. It's fine to say "I'll buy for the Playstation over the Switch" because you can't use both simultaneously. If GoG is "just another storefront" than it doesn't make any sense to play exclusive. Second, if have to be better. In issues of DRM Epic Games is worse, and Steam is -much worse-. In transparancy and consistency, Steam is worse and Epic is -much worse-. In terms of technical compatency, I dont recall GoG ever rushing an update and leaving in a major security flaw in Galaxy that could run arbitrary code execution's using the chat function, after being warned about said glitch well before release. And need I mention how long it took Epic to have a shopping card, something that even the earliest online stores had day 1.
high rated

Lukin86: In real though. Because if you talk about boycotts and in fact you're not really doing it. How do you want others to see even the company that you have decided to boycott listen to you if in the end, you do not do what you say (a boycott). Because if you shout I boycott gog but in the end no. It’s about the business, not going to listen to you.
I agree that you are not boycotting if you are buying DLCs, etc. You are still hurting their sales buy not buying new games.

I don't care much about the term boycott though, the main point is not providing gog with further financial support. The ppl in charge do not read the forums, and they do not care what you write here, I can tell you this from 12 years experience, being a member since beta. They are just waiting for this to blow over, as always.

They do, however, read the financial reports.
high rated
I think this is correct. GOG always had the draw of not having to even care about any of this at all, because you could buy your games in the knowledge that DRM in any form (besides multiplayer) just wasn't an issue. If that's gone and you have to research the level of intrusion for every game, just to be on the safe side, the question stands whether that's actually worth it. Doesn't mean Steam is the better store from a DRM perspective. However, if there's no reliable DRM-free storefront, it somewhat stands to reason to compare other qualities as well, especially if there's still some hope that this might trigger GOG to correct their approach.

Lukin86: In real though. Because if you talk about boycotts and in fact you're not really doing it. How do you want others to see even the company that you have decided to boycott listen to you if in the end, you do not do what you say (a boycott). Because if you shout I boycott gog but in the end no. It’s about the business, not going to listen to you.
As far as boycotting, the thread for that adds "to whatever degree one is comfortable". I would think this is more about general communication than about the technicality of the term itself. I can only speak for myself here, but I am on that list because I've noticed an unintended change in my purchasing behaviour that roughly alligns with people actively boycotting GOG and their reasons for that. So yeah, I'm likely going to grab freebies that aren't behind newsletter subscriptions and I might still buy the occasional game here and there, but if I spend less than 10% of my usual budget for gaming while voicing the reasons for that, I do expect GOG to take that seriously, whether that passes everyone's definition of a 'real' boycott or not, and I think in principle that's feedback GOG might want to have.