It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
ReynardFox: I mean, it'd be a solution, but I'd still feel pretty cheated out of the gameplay experience, it'd be akin to just using a cheat code instead of earning the content as reward for actually playing the game.
I feel this way as well.
Lifthrasil: So? Any results so far from your 'investigation'? What did looking into the topic yield so far?
joppo: The investigation is still undergoing. No, not the one about how Hitman completely evaded the curation. That investigation never even started. He's just that stealthy.

Until I see contrary evidence I have to assume that they are still investigating how hard it is to get away with adding a full blown DRMed product and how effective the release of Blood Omen was in countering the userbase bail out.
Nailed it.
mrkgnao: Just out of curiosity, how would you feel if GOG and IOI released a version where all equipment/locations/disguises/etc. are available offline, but they are all unlocked from the start, not tied to your progression like it is now?
ReynardFox: I mean, it'd be a solution, but I'd still feel pretty cheated out of the gameplay experience, it'd be akin to just using a cheat code instead of earning the content as reward for actually playing the game.
paladin181: I feel this way as well.
Thanks.
Post edited October 01, 2021 by mrkgnao
high rated
mrkgnao: Just out of curiosity, how would you feel if GOG and IOI released a version where all equipment/locations/disguises/etc. are available offline, but they are all unlocked from the start, not tied to your progression like it is now?
my name is supyreor catte: That would be pretty terrible, it's basically like being forced to use a cheat code. Unlocking things is part of the gameplay, having them unlocked from the beginning is essentially skipping part of the game.
I agree, not a satisfactory solution for me as well. What next, starting an RPG with a character on max level, because normally leveling up was tied to online DRM?
kai2: ... if GOG stripped out all of the online shenanigans and provided unlockables via some SP or optional scheme, I'd buy all 3 of thee new games when (if) they released here.
mrkgnao: Just out of curiosity, how would you feel if GOG and IOI released a version where all equipment/locations/disguises/etc. are available offline, but they are all unlocked from the start, not tied to your progression like it is now? Also, when answering, please add whether you have you already played the game before somewhere else or not.
I have finished Hitman 1: GOTY and Hitman 2: GOTY Story Mode's on Steam already.

Sure, I'd be fine w/ this. My big thing is: I want to access everything while offline - all the entrances, exits, disguises, equipment, etc etc.

I could see how other players who have NOT played this game and have not earned all this stuff...and they would like to earn the stuff 1st time through - well, they'd be not too happy about everything unlocked already.

I'm tired of games being grind-y for the sake of the grind anyways - so, that's also another thing. We've got enough grind-y and repetitive games on the market, as is. I really want more unique quests, missions, and whatnot for content - and want less grind.

We've got enough UbiSoft open-world grind-fests w/ ARPG-tied gear & leveling-up processes here on the market anyways.

If it's as simple as there's a file or a few files that holds the unlocks and whatnot and they need to move 'em offline - then they should do so. There should be an option for the player - to leave the stuff locked and earn their way normally; or click a button to unlock all of the unlockables (exits, entrances, disguises, gear, etc)...similar to basically what WWE 2K games do, once you own the Accelerator DLC. With Accelerator DLC on WWE2K games and when you option to unlock everything - you have all the hidden wrestlers, moves, venues, etc. unlocked...or you can unlock them by progressing through the game and its zillion modes. I ain't got time for the huge grind - so, I often bought the Season Pass b/c the Accelerator DLC was already there and b/c of all the other extra wrestlers, venues, arenas, moves, move sets, outfits, etc etc.

EDIT:
I'd also be cool if they do an offline progression set-up - and say they made a tool so I could import my Steam unlocks and progression into GOG version.
Post edited October 01, 2021 by MysterD
high rated
mrkgnao: Just out of curiosity, how would you feel if GOG and IOI released a version where all equipment/locations/disguises/etc. are available offline, but they are all unlocked from the start, not tied to your progression like it is now? Also, when answering, please add whether you have you already played the game before somewhere else or not.
If it would be alright to add my 2 cents, while it would obviously be better than the situation there is now - merely unlocking the elements that can be with a save file would leave a sour taste in my mouth at this point. If it's a product being sold, and the developer is involved, they should implement something properly not a halfway fudge third-parties such as modders and crackers used.

I have played Hitman 2016, and Hitman 2 on another platform.

I would like to see the challenges system retained, and the mission scoring, not in the sense of participating in the leaderboards system, but whether or not you achieved a Silent Assassin rating on a mission for example. It's not present in this game, but in Hitman 3, I saw a list of things linked (in this reddit post) that is apparently locked to the online mode which includes having a HUD icon of Silent Assassin status visible because that's part of the scoring system. There's no reason to me something like that needs to be online-only.

The launch price for Hitman here was (AU) $24.29 on sale. Right now on another popular PC platform, Hitman 2 Gold Edition - which includes all of Hitman 2's content - is on sale for (AU) $20.99...

I had purchased the Hitman GOTY itself for about $10 a few years ago, so for the price here on GOG, I was truly expecting a much better product, an actual offline/DRM-free version.

Edit: I was misremembering about the contents of the Hitman 2 Gold Edition, and have removed describing it as containing almost all the Hitman GOTY we have here with the levels redone/upgraded with H2 mechanics - that can be purchased as currently on sale for (AU) $7.48
Post edited October 02, 2021 by emme
emme: If it would be alright to add my 2 cents, while it would obviously be better than the situation there is now - merely unlocking the elements that can be with a save file would leave a sour taste in my mouth at this point. If it's a product being sold, and the developer is involved, they should implement something properly not a halfway fudge third-parties such as modders and crackers used.

I have played Hitman 2016, and Hitman 2 on another platform.

I would like to see the challenges system retained, and the mission scoring, not in the sense of participating in the leaderboards system, but whether or not you achieved a Silent Assassin rating on a mission for example. It's not present in this game, but in Hitman 3, I saw a list of things linked (in this reddit post) that is apparently locked to the online mode which includes having a HUD icon of Silent Assassin status visible because that's part of the scoring system. There's no reason to me something like that needs to be online-only.

The launch price for Hitman here was (AU) $24.29 on sale. Right now on another popular PC platform, Hitman 2 Gold Edition - which includes all of Hitman 2 AND almost all the Hitman GOTY we have here with the levels redone/upgraded with H2 mechanics - is on sale for (AU) $20.99...

I had purchased the Hitman GOTY itself for about $10 a few years ago, so for the price here on GOG, I was truly expecting a much better product, an actual offline/DRM-free version.
Thank you. As usual with you, that's very clear.
high rated
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
How is being upset that you lied to us a review bomb? The game is marketed as being DRM free and the only reason people buy games from GOG as opposed to Steam and EGS is because they're DRM free. If you guys start selling games with DRM there will be no reason to continue using this platform. I think that's a pretty valid reason for leaving a negative review.
mrkgnao: Thank you. As usual with you, that's very clear.
Just responding to let you know I edited my original post and don't want to accidentally be misleading, my apologies - I had misremembered about the contents on the Hitman 2 Gold Edition - to get the Hitman GOTY contents is not automatically included, but rather an additional DLC (though free if you already owned the previous game on the same platform), currently on sale for (AU) $7.48.

Which works out to (AU) $28.47 for the package, so I still felt quite a bit shortchanged in comparison to the GOG product and price.
Post edited October 02, 2021 by emme
mrkgnao: Thank you. As usual with you, that's very clear.
emme: Just responding to let you know I edited my original post and don't want to accidentally be misleading, my apologies - I had misremembered about the contents on the Hitman 2 Gold Edition - to get the Hitman GOTY contents is not automatically included, but rather an additional DLC (though free if you already owned the previous game on the same platform), currently on sale for (AU) $7.48.

Which works out to (AU) $28.47 for the package, so I still felt quite a bit shortchanged in comparison to the GOG product and price.
Well, GOG has never been cheap.
trusteft: I would be fine with it.
mrkgnao: Thank you. Have you already played the game before somewhere else or not?
Not.
I am not paying for games which require you to be online for single player. No matter what the price.
Gersen: At this point they should try to contact the modders who made the offline mods for Hitman 2 & 3 to see if it would be possible to do something similar for H1.(If IOI is ok with that that is) I am not convinced that IOI will spend any time working on Hitman 1 when they are busy working on 3.
+1. I agree completely.

But would IOI go for this? Dunno.
kai2: ... if GOG stripped out all of the online shenanigans and provided unlockables via some SP or optional scheme, I'd buy all 3 of thee new games when (if) they released here.
I have played most of the story modes in 1 and 2. Played 2 levels in 3.

If everything was unlocked and option from the start in SP, it wouldn't be optimal, but if the price reflected this?

Gersen suggested IOI or GOG employ the modders who created offline mods for the trilogy to do same for this release. IMO that would be best... if all involved would agree to it...?
Post edited October 02, 2021 by kai2
I think the game will be removed is my prediction. Devs arent going to take the extra time and resources to make it offline and gog will feel they need to take it down due to complaints.
.Ra: I think the game will be removed is my prediction. Devs arent going to take the extra time and resources to make it offline and gog will feel they need to take it down due to complaints.
I think that's unfortunate (insofar as it'd be nice to have a DRM-free version here) but true, they aren't going to put a lot of resources into this for just a few sales.

(edit: looks like there's a more meaningful discussion above about this) A few people made the suggestion of GOG giving people a save file that unlocks the various starting locations, weapons, etc., though I assume some aspects would still require Galaxy; I don't know that'd we'd be able to expect much more than this, and some people will still be very unhappy.

In any case, removal is better than keeping what we currently have here.
Post edited October 02, 2021 by tfishell
Hi there! This isnt a direct answer to your question but its something I feel is relevant everytime I see a game going under the scalpel (even hypothetically) to make it DRM free.

If the solution to this debacle is for GoG/IOI to offer such a gimped version of this game, albeit DRM free, they should adjust the price accordingly, since it's no longer the gaming experience others are getting by a significant margin.