It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
Freystein7320: If you look at the charts, Hitman seems to be quite successful, despite the huge backlash.
How many copies were refunded?

StingingVelvet: I've made it very clear I don't think this game should be sold here in its current state. That doesn't mean I'll pretend the vast majority of consumers care about such things. They don't. The forum members here are absolutely more zealous about DRM than the average person.
Right. The vast majority buy on Steam. You're posting on the GOG forums. This is a store where the sole selling point is DRM-free. If you didn't care about Hitman being DRM-free you already bought it on Steam years ago.
high rated
Monday morning at GOGs office: "Good News, guys! We got the biggest press coverage in years!"
Post edited September 26, 2021 by russellskanne
high rated
Hahaha, this is PERFECT!

Especially their delightfully appropriate choice to illustrate the article with a picture of 47 wearing a clown outfit.

Honk fucking honk! xD
racofer: Now most major gaming news outlets are talking about this. CD Projekt must be proud that their offspring are now famous, all for the wrong reasons.

First CD Projekt Red with the Cyberpunk catastrophe, and less than a year later GOG also manages to compromise their values.

Good job.
GOG has already been in their crosshairs for the debacle with tweets, and then the handling of Devotion on top of really slow customer service in the wake of Cyberpunk's release.

6355: I'd like settle my position here.

I still believe in GOG, which, with it's parent, CD PROJEKT RED, done for DRM-free movement more than any other companies (IMHO).
CDPR is a sister company. CD Projekt is the parent company to both.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by paladin181
low rated
russellskanne: Monday morning at GOGs office:
Reenactment.
Freystein7320: If you look at the charts, Hitman seems to be quite successful, despite the huge backlash.
eric5h5: How many copies were refunded?

StingingVelvet: I've made it very clear I don't think this game should be sold here in its current state. That doesn't mean I'll pretend the vast majority of consumers care about such things. They don't. The forum members here are absolutely more zealous about DRM than the average person.
eric5h5: Right. The vast majority buy on Steam. You're posting on the GOG forums. This is a store where the sole selling point is DRM-free. If you didn't care about Hitman being DRM-free you already bought it on Steam years ago.
Something else I'll do is: I want to play a game when it's hot or newer, so I'll just "buy" it where it's at. So, if it's on Steam, it's on Steam - yeah, I'll grab it over there.

If I don't like the DRM elsewhere (on Steam, Epic, Origin, etc) and say it comes to GOG - especially if I didn't spend a good deal on it; or I really like the game a ton - if it comes to GOG and I'm looking for it DRM-FREE, I'll re-buy it over here on GOG.

Sometimes on GOG - there's fixes not in other version; way less patching non-sense and/or DLC chasing to do (think NWN2: Complete); nice mods equipped out-the-box (Vampire: Bloodlines comes w/ Wesp's Basic Patch, which is what I use the most for that game normally); and/or other things worthwhile in the GOG version, which aren't elsewhere.

Obviously, I'll re-buy a game b/c a game is DRM-FREE on GOG - but sometimes it's more. For example, I re-bought Saboteur for the mini-map fix. I bought Riddick: Dark Athena to get away from its crap DRM. I re-bought Jade Empire: Special on GOG to get away from its disc-DRM. I bought Vampire: Bloodlines b/c it comes w/ Wesp's Basic Patch. I bought NWN2: Complete to have the game entirely patched-up and get away from its insane patching process; and to collect Mysteries of Westgate (yep, I was missing that DLC).
Post edited September 26, 2021 by MysterD
high rated
Like others I was excited to be able to buy the game here when I spoted the email. Then saw the online components of play and thought yeah no.
While I'm normally online anyway I still don't like that tie in for a single player game. Plus for me I have so little time these days I might get to a game years down the line.
So last thing I want is a few years from now install the game (my offline files) start it up and find that the original online service servers are now offline as the company that made it closed up, were aquired, or otherwise didn't see the value in running the servers. Now I have a game lacking things I bought with the expectation of them being there for game play.

So no sale on this game for me, and I'll join the chorus of disappointed customers.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by deonast
low rated
6355: Personally, I can live with GOG selling not only DRM-free products. As far as they support DRM-free movement.
i'm too..

but only if they make it clear and unambiguous if games have DRM or not and as you already mentioned, if they further support the DRM-free movement.

maybe they should reward publishers for DRM-free with better contract conditions and for my sake DRM-free products could be more expensive in comparison

as an alternative GOG could release games here on day one with intact DRM-protection and later if the publisher gives his approval, they could offer a DRM-free unlock option by demanding an extra fee.

i prefer GOG as it was before and hope they don't choose the wrong direction
high rated
You know, I don't buy that much on Gog, but it's about to be a lot less.
low rated
Yeshu: They could form a information campaign and establish a healthy contact with GOG staff and have the problem fixed. But no, they just HAVE to scream and shout and prove THEY are the most anti DRM of tem all.
MarkoH01: Hey. That is a GREAT idea. I would LOVE to have a healthy CONTACT with GOG. Now please tell me the secret how I could go into a dialogue who absolutely refuses to talk with me because of the past?
For starters, drop the smart ass behaviour and approach the situation like an adult.

Second, start using official channels first to establish a communication line (most people just send a ticket and sit on there butt waiting), after that try direct forms of communication like phone calls and company e-mails.

Do not give up after the first few tries, do not become a rage dispenser and avoid using insults as your primary method of presenting your argument.

This could be done, but most GOG forum users are kids or young adults who lack experience with actual company interaction.
MarkoH01: Hey. That is a GREAT idea. I would LOVE to have a healthy CONTACT with GOG. Now please tell me the secret how I could go into a dialogue who absolutely refuses to talk with me because of the past?
Yeshu: For starters, drop the smart ass behaviour and approach the situation like an adult.

Second, start using official channels first to establish a communication line (most people just send a ticket and sit on there butt waiting), after that try direct forms of communication like phone calls and company e-mails.

Do not give up after the first few tries, do not become a rage dispenser and avoid using insults as your primary method of presenting your argument.

This could be done, but most GOG forum users are kids or young adults who lack experience with actual company interaction.
for what? to getting automated text modules?
btw. i'm 40 years old.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by Gognarok
low rated
Based and redpilled ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=gog+hitman&tbm=nws&source=univ&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiIwbLBu5vzAhX4F1kFHZITAbsQt8YBegQIDhAG&biw=1920&bih=975&dpr=1
high rated
6355: Personally, I can live with GOG selling not only DRM-free products. As far as they support DRM-free movement.
The problem with this is though that GOG opening its store up to DRMed games is in itself inherently damaging to the DRM-free movement. Because, by signalling loud and clear that they are ok hosting games with locked content, it will make it more likely that other publishers will follow suit with releases like this, rather than making the effort to release games properly DRM-free. This is why the precedent is extremely important - in allowing 1, 2, 5 (whatever) DRMed games onto their store, GOG is effectively signalling the end of their support for DRM-free.

This is why I also strongly believe that proposed middle-ground solutions, such as 'labeling' of DRMed games are fatally flawed: because the precedent of allowing any DRMed games onto the store makes it far less likely that we will see DRM-free releases.

The fight against DRM is an all-or-nothing war. There can be no middle-ground, no compromise with DRM (it is that insidious).
Post edited September 26, 2021 by Time4Tea
I wouldn't say that is "based and redpilled," because they are using the sensationalistic & inaccurate phrase "review bombed" as clickbait in their article titles, and thus giving their readers the misleading impression that GOG's position on this matter has some merit, which it doesn't really.
high rated
Yeshu: For starters, drop the smart ass behaviour and approach the situation like an adult.

You are aware that you're talking to someone who, IIRC, actually travelled to Warsaw to meet the people of GOG, or aren't you?
Post edited September 26, 2021 by mrkgnao