It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Through a sea of secrets.

<span class="bold">Herald: An Interactive Period Drama - Book I &amp; II</span>, a choice-driven adventure set in the 19th century, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

It's no secret that the colonial times were a period of inequality and deep-seated prejudice. But the purpose of the Herald's fateful voyage? Now that's a very well-kept secret, one which Devan, a steward of mixed heritage, will have to uncover by chatting with the passengers and carefully exploring the ship.

<span class="bold">Book I &amp; II</span> form the basis of this branching story. Each Book has its own narrative arc and the two remaining Books will arrive as episodic content at a later date.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BmhM1tqTqyc
Post edited February 23, 2017 by maladr0Id
Zoidberg: So, 10€ for half a game of 4 hours...

It starts out interesting but I'm not sure it's worth it. Better wait for the full version...
Draakbeest: Wispfire dev here!
Let us know what you think! We love to take player feedback into account during the development of Book III and IV.
As I've implied with my post, I'm not interested. But good luck bringing this project to a close. I don't think you have chosen the worst model personally.
looks interesting.

A demo certainly helps in taking decision. A game focussing on storyline is welcome, but then I would prefer to play all the books at once. So I think I am going to wait for now.

Have a nice day!
Will wait until the DLCs are out. I mean wtf, it's not even a Season Pass as with Telltale's games.
Looks like my kind of interactive story. Wishlisted until I get my backlog back under control, but I'll probably buy it later :)
low rated
Stop charging money for demos, GOG.
Period Drama?
Klumpen0815: Period Drama?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Double Jeopardy?!?!?! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Cool...don't see period dramas in gaming much unless I'm just oblivious to it. Also I secretly don't mind it when my gal suggests some bbc period drama when it's her turn to pick something for us to watch.
Draakbeest: I totally understand when people put off a purchase until the content is there! Although of course it doesn't help us much ;)

[...]
I know it doesn't, but I wouldn't play the first two Books now, when I know I have to wait for months, perhaps a year or more, to see the story conclude. And while I wish you to finish the game, and as soon as possible at that, I'd rather not be left with half a game if, for whatever reason, the rest doesn't come out.

Draakbeest: [...]

The story is a frame narrative: parts of Book I and II take place on land, though the majority of the story takes place on the eponymous Herald (the ship). Interaction consists of both speaking to other characters and inspecting items. There are some puzzles and in addition to that the choices you make in conversations influence the way the story develops.
You should already be seeing some big effects of your choices in the first two books! [...]
Thanks for the clarification. Regarding the taking place on land part, I was referring to this from the game page:

Months later you alone are dragged ashore. No ship, no crew. All that remains is you, your journal and a captain's coat you were wearing. A mysterious woman is holding you captive and demands you to tell her what happened to 'your' ship. What you tell her, is your choice.
Do any of these events take place in the first two Books? Perhaps I'm wrong, but this reads like the later half of the story. If so, I think it should be made clear that these events take place in Book III & IV, especially sine they will be a separate release.

Draakbeest: [...] The request for the demo is loud and clear! We'll get on it soon :)
It might help change people's minds, and steer them towards taking the plunge sooner. ;-)

Celton88: We are still waiting for act 5 of KRZ to come out
You know, I had a nagging feeling that it's still not complete while I was typing that, but couldn't be bothered to go check what state we're currently in; the long waiting sure doesn't help with keeping track.
Post edited February 23, 2017 by HypersomniacLive
HypersomniacLive: Thanks for the clarification. Regarding the taking place on land part, I was referring to this from the game page:

Draakbeest: Months later you alone are dragged ashore. No ship, no crew. All that remains is you, your journal and a captain's coat you were wearing. A mysterious woman is holding you captive and demands you to tell her what happened to 'your' ship. What you tell her, is your choice.
HypersomniacLive: Do any of these events take place in the first two Books? Perhaps I'm wrong, but this reads like the later half of the story. If so, I think it should be made clear that these events take place in Book III & IV, especially sine they will be a separate release.
The story begins "months later". That's why it's called a framing device ;)
At the very start of the game (present) Devan is asked to recount the events that took place onboard the ship (past). So, the majority of Book I and II (as I understand it) is basically a flashback.
Which would technically allow for an unreliable narrator (aka flat out lying), which would be kind of cool, but I assume the game will take it as a given that Devan is truthful as to not unnecessarily complicate things.
Bigs: Selling story as DLC is scummy.. :/
Draakbeest: Hey, I'm sorry you feel this way!
We're a small team with limited means. Releasing episodically allows us to fund the development of a narrative heavy game. We've chosen what we think is a fair price point so that you can decide if you like it and should buy the next episodes when they become available.

Hope you'll give Herald a chance! :)
The game looks lovely, thanks for the response, I can see your point and wish your team well. Wishlisted
WildHobgoblin: The story begins "months later". That's why it's called a framing device ;)
At the very start of the game (present) Devan is asked to recount the events that took place onboard the ship (past). So, the majority of Book I and II (as I understand it) is basically a flashback.
Which would technically allow for an unreliable narrator (aka flat out lying), which would be kind of cool, but I assume the game will take it as a given that Devan is truthful as to not unnecessarily complicate things.
Oops, I somehow managed to overlook the fact that the story unfolds as Devan recounts past events. Cheers.
Hey everyone, thanks for all your comments!

As you can see GOG has kindly updated the description for us :)

I just wanted to say the demo is in the works. But for now what I can do is link you a Let's Play video of that demo:
Just a fair warning; while the demo is its own self-contained experience, it does contain some slight spoilers for the main story. But it should give you a pretty good idea of what the game is all about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZNxulQIDKE

We've also gotten our first Metacritic review, which you can imagine we're pretty happy with :D
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/herald-an-interactive-period-drama

As for how self-contained the story of Book I and II is, think 'The Two Towers', not 'The Fellowship of the Ring', if that comparison makes sense!

[Edit] Yay, orange! [/Edit]
Post edited February 23, 2017 by Draakbeest
Draakbeest: [Edit] Yay, orange! [/Edit]
Congratulations!! :)

In the let's play the game looks promising.
Draakbeest: Hey everyone, thanks for all your comments!

As you can see GOG has kindly updated the description for us :)
[...]
We've also gotten our first Metacritic review, which you can imagine we're pretty happy with :D
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/herald-an-interactive-period-drama

As for how self-contained the story of Book I and II is, think 'The Two Towers', not 'The Fellowship of the Ring', if that comparison makes sense!

[Edit] Yay, orange! [/Edit]
Ah, so you mean to say the story does have neither a beginning nor an ending ;) (I understand what you mean, though.)
I checked out that review earlier today, seems the player was quite taken with it!

I've decided to give the game a try and just hope book III and IV come around at some point in the not too distant future. I'm sure I can find a game or two to occupy myself with whilst I wait :)

Edit: Ahm, there sure seem to be a lot of patches...
Attachments:
patches.png (19 Kb)
Post edited February 23, 2017 by WildHobgoblin