It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Interlaced memories.

Her Story, a completely innovative FMV detective game from the mastermind behind Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, is available now for Windows and Mac OS X. Get it DRM-free on GOG.com with a 17% launch discount.

The year is 1994. A woman is interviewed by the Police, her husband gone missing. Her every word recorded and interlaced via police camera. It is now between you, your dusty mothball computer, and Her Story. The premise is simple - scan the database of seven live-action interviews to make sense of the disappearance, to analyze every word, facial expression, every moment of silence. One keyword at a time.

With a completely fresh take on storytelling, and archaic yet deeply familiar gameplay based on simple keyword searches, <span class="bold">Her Story</span> asks a pittance for a memory. Check out the rave reviews, and make sure to grab the game DRM-free, right here on GOG.com. The 17% launch discount will last for one week, until Friday, July 3, at 12:59 PM GMT.

In the press:
"Her Story is so masterful in its simple, personal, and idiosyncratic delivery that even time wasted is filled with charm and intrigue." -- Digital Spy

"As well as being a superb detective game, Her Story might be the best FMV game ever made." -- Rock , Paper, Shotgun

"It's been days since I finished the game, but I can’t stop thinking about it. Her Story nails the dark, voyeuristic nature of true crime and the curiosity that follows. The worst thing I can say about Her Story is that, eventually, there's nothing else left to find." -- Polygon
Post edited June 26, 2015 by Rostek
When I saw this on the front page, I thought it was a movie release, but I decided to click on it anyway to see what it could be about. Then I saw that it is an FMV game... And I am still confused!

I feel so stupid for asking this, but what do I do in the game? I went on Youtube to watch the trailer and still didn't get it. Is it a FMV Point and Click? The only interaction I saw was clicking on the 'Search' button on the database window that shows up in the trailer, but I think that was part of the cutscene.

What do you do? I know you solve a crime, but how? Do you find clues, do you interrogate her yourself somehow, or... What?

I don't know why I am so eager to find out, I don't think I will ever play the game anyway because there seem to be too many cutscenes, but still, I am just really interested in finding out what it is about gameplay-wise.
Post edited June 28, 2015 by WCardskeeper
For myself, I think that this looks very interesting. I was initially unconvinced--and I have a fairly long wishlist as it is--but seeing a Let's Play last night left me in two minds about whether I want to play it... Not only does it have an unusual and intriguing gameplay mechanic, but the mystery looks enticingly twisty...

@WCardskeeper:

Essentially, the game revolves around searching a database of short clips, looking for clues with which to solve a mystery. (I haven't seen the trailer, but the searching that you saw was likely not part of a cutscene.)

WCardskeeper: ... I don't think I will ever play the game anyway because there seem to be too many cutscenes ...
They're not really cutscenes in the traditional sense. They're more like puzzle pieces: each (very short) clip shows a piece of the woman's interrogation, and may reveal clues. Those clues then give you new keywords to search for, leading to further clips.

I don't know how the end-game plays out, but I do gather that there is one.

Kim of the Yogscast has the start of a Let's Play of the game, if you want a demonstration of how it plays out; to the best of my knowledge, none of what she shows is a true "cutscene", unless you consider the clips that are the core of the game to be many tiny cutscenes.

(Oh, and watch through to at least 24:20... ;))
RoloTony: I had no interest in this game initially, but the more I read about it, the more it seems as though it has innovative storytelling, which is a big plus.

I do wonder, though: Does the game give you the option to watch the "interviews" in chronological order if you want to, or can you only watch specific interview snippets which come up when you do a keyword search?
You can only watch clips based on keyword searches, that''s part of the gameplay. I purchased the game last week on Steam (for the same discounted price) so I've already been playing some of it. You only get to see the first five results, so if a certain search gives you sixteen results you won't be able to see the other eleven videos. But you can narrow down your search results by using more than one keyword or you can search using exact phrasing. You can add comments to the videos (like a short discription of what is said or keywords derived from the video). And you can add videos you think contain important clues to a que so you can easily view them again. I'm not sure if the game has a defined 'end state'. There is no option (so far at least) to solve the crime.
WCardskeeper: When I saw this on the front page, I thought it was a movie release, but I decided to click on it anyway to see what it could be about. Then I saw that it is an FMV game... And I am still confused!

I feel so stupid for asking this, but what do I do in the game? I went on Youtube to watch the trailer and still didn't get it. Is it a FMV Point and Click? The only interaction I saw was clicking on the 'Search' button on the database window that shows up in the trailer, but I think that was part of the cutscene.

What do you do? I know you solve a crime, but how? Do you find clues, do you interrogate her yourself somehow, or... What?

I don't know why I am so eager to find out, I don't think I will ever play the game anyway because there seem to be too many cutscenes, but still, I am just really interested in finding out what it is about gameplay-wise.
The idea behind the game is that there is an unsolved crime from about fifteen years earlier. A woman was interviewed seven times and the videos have been uploaded into a state of the art (we're talking about the nineties) computer system. The system has split up the interviews into clips and added subtitles. Any word in these subtitles can be searched. It's your job to use this keyword system to find clips and to make sense of what is being told. Using new keywords will lead to finding new clips containing new information etc. You can annotate clips and you can save clips to a timeline for later reviewing. That's about as much as I've been able to discover in my first playing session. The clips are well acted and there is an interesting story to discover.
Post edited June 29, 2015 by ZwaanME
ZwaanME: The idea behind the game is that there is an unsolved crime from about fifteen years earlier. A woman was interviewed seven times and the videos have been uploaded into a state of the art (we're talking about the nineties) computer system. The system has split up the interviews into clips and added subtitles. Any word in these subtitles can be searched. It's your job to use this keyword system to find clips and to make sense of what is being told. Using new keywords will lead to finding new clips containing new information etc. You can annotate clips and you can save clips to a timeline for later reviewing. That's about as much as I've been able to discover in my first playing session. The clips are well acted and there is an interesting story to discover.
That actually does sound interesting! Thanks for the insight.
I played through the game on Steam in almost four hours. I can very much recommend it.

Here is my review:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/gog-protoss/recommended/368370
I was looking forward to playing it this weekend, but only loaded it on my Mac. So were the requirements listed as 10.7 on Friday? The 10.8 I see today is probably why I just got black screen (on the in-game screen) when trying to get my FMV on.

I'll Windows 7 it soon enough. :)
Thaumaturge: Kim of the Yogscast has the start of a Let's Play of the game, if you want a demonstration of how it plays out; to the best of my knowledge, none of what she shows is a true "cutscene", unless you consider the clips that are the core of the game to be many tiny cutscenes.

(Oh, and watch through to at least 24:20... ;))
Thank you, I will check it out! :)
Don't want to miss out on a game I might like just because the trailer seemed a little off, so a Let's Play might be just the right thing for me.
RoloTony: I had no interest in this game initially, but the more I read about it, the more it seems as though it has innovative storytelling, which is a big plus.

I do wonder, though: Does the game give you the option to watch the "interviews" in chronological order if you want to, or can you only watch specific interview snippets which come up when you do a keyword search?
ZwaanME: You can only watch clips based on keyword searches, that''s part of the gameplay. I purchased the game last week on Steam (for the same discounted price) so I've already been playing some of it. You only get to see the first five results, so if a certain search gives you sixteen results you won't be able to see the other eleven videos. But you can narrow down your search results by using more than one keyword or you can search using exact phrasing. You can add comments to the videos (like a short discription of what is said or keywords derived from the video). And you can add videos you think contain important clues to a que so you can easily view them again. I'm not sure if the game has a defined 'end state'. There is no option (so far at least) to solve the crime.
Sounds very intriguing. Thanks for the information.
low rated
My only complain is that games such as HuniePop and Hatred got rejected by GOG but this not. I mean, gameplay wise both HuniePop and Hatred are more interesting, but hey, they are not artsy games. I guess GOG does not know where is the money, next thing we hera they might release Sunset.
Just to make it clear, I don't mean this should not be released, I just say some unreleased games deserve to be released too.
Post edited July 02, 2015 by LeonardoCornejo
I already own this game but I think it deserves my support on GOG as well so I double dipped.
Post edited July 02, 2015 by JetGumRadio
deleted
low rated
NoxTM: I ended up watching half the avi clips from the folder. I'm so boring.
There is not much difference between that and the actual game. The truth is, the FMV genre will never be successful because it is not good enough, no matter how much artsy you make it. It was the downfall for Sega's disk system and that is the only achievement of the genre. Not even Sega's employees had faith in the genre, they just supported it to stick it to the man.
deleted
Post edited July 02, 2015 by NoxTM
What an intriguing, puzzling, dramatic, interactive, game, movie, detective, experience, thing that was.

Hatoful Boyfriend is so up next.
LeonardoCornejo: There is not much difference between that and the actual game. The truth is, the FMV genre will never be successful because it is not good enough, no matter how much artsy you make it. It was the downfall for Sega's disk system and that is the only achievement of the genre. Not even Sega's employees had faith in the genre, they just supported it to stick it to the man.
NoxTM: I grew up with PS1 FMV/interactive video games; I liked Psychic Detective a heck of a lot despite knowing, deep down, it was inherently crap. Even so, I don't think they really cut it in this day and age; technology has moved on and left this format in the dust, for the main (and as you said, even back then they were a dying breed). I mean there are different sub-genres, anyway, and of course whole other genres that heavily use FMV. Heck, Phantasmagoria gets a bad (or at least lukewarm) wrap but I think it's great fun.

But this. It really does just feel like what it is; a bunch of avi files in a folder that you can either play on your operating system, or seek out words and phrases to access them in-game, with a filter on top. I fully get that's the point, to unravel what happened in the story, but I guess I no longer have the patience to do so. Maybe it says more about me than anything.

S'one of those games I'd think about refunding, but sadly it plays just fine, hehe.

Nah, even as I write this I think I'm being too harsh on it. I'll try and properly play (if that's the right word) one of these days.
It's definitely a genre work, but great for what it is. And hey, how many modern text parser games get mainstream coverage and releases?