It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Not to be confused with a meteor shower.

Set up a successful spacefaring company by blasting away the competition and navigating delicate trade deals in Helium Rain, now available DRM-free. Get it 30% off until February 1st, 2pm UTC.

In the vastness of space, getting your business off the ground is no easy task. You must keep an eye out for trading opportunities and profitable docking stations, push out the competition, and expand your fleet. Don't be afraid to get your blasters dirty in fast-paced skirmishes but try never to lose sight of the big picture.
For people looking at the sources you should add GOG to that sentence in your README.md file:

"Helium Rain is a realistic space opera for PC, now available on Steam."
high rated
Kerebron: It looks interesting. How is the moddability of this game?
VoidStranger: Hi, developer here. We're currently working on a modding kit to allow adding new ships, stations, or sectors to the game. This will be doable easily. Source code changes are also possible, but much more involved since you'd need to work with C++.
Well, this just sealed the deal for me. Mod support, a Linux version and a release on GOG?! Thanks for being an awesome dev.
VoidStranger: Hi, developer here. We're currently working on a modding kit to allow adding new ships, stations, or sectors to the game. This will be doable easily. Source code changes are also possible, but much more involved since you'd need to work with C++.
Thank you for the answer; now I'm interested even more. :)
Ganni1987: Bought because these guys are awesome, they not only support Linux but have also Open sourced the entire game, with the technical know how you can basically get the game for free. Highly recommended.
I don't think it's fully open, just their portion of the engine. You still need assets and actual Unreal Engine as far as I know.

It's still a good thing of course.
Post edited January 27, 2019 by shmerl
Anamon: I don't own the game (yet), but considering the entire source code is available on GitHub, I would say: "very".
https://github.com/arbonagw/HeliumRain
Post edited January 27, 2019 by koenlefever
Hey again. If you contact GOG you should get this nice golden colour for your dev account. Makes your posts more visible :-)
Post edited January 27, 2019 by toxicTom
Sauce under BSD license? Mad respect (even if the dependency on UE4 makes things a tad less creamy for those of us who actually run BSD).

I only wish more game developers would let us have our games and fix them too, after a decade or two of progress in the underlying hardware & software platforms almost inevitably exposes issues and shortcomings that likely won't ever be fixed by anyone else except the fans and the greater community.
Post edited January 28, 2019 by clarry
Ganni1987: Bought because these guys are awesome, they not only support Linux but have also Open sourced the entire game, with the technical know how you can basically get the game for free. Highly recommended.
shmerl: I don't think it's fully open, just their portion of the engine. You still need assets and actual Unreal Engine as far as I know.

You're right, I was checking the github contents and it seems only the binary source is available.

----

As for the game itself, I played it a bit today. Although I'm not much into space games, I feel this one is different, it kinda gives me a sense of peace and relaxation.
high rated
toxicTom: Hey again. If you contact GOG you should get this nice golden colour for your dev account. Makes your posts more visible :-)
Hi, sorry I didn't respond the first time - we're aware, but the flag wasn't set yet.

shmerl: I don't think it's fully open, just their portion of the engine. You still need assets and actual Unreal Engine as far as I know.

That is correct. The Unreal engine is freely available with source code but comes with a proprietary license & royalties, and the game contents are not provided. The game code is completely open and free to use in any project. We consider sales of the game to be sales of a compiled unit of the game, engine & contents.

To give some concrete examples, modding the game and redistributing new content would be completely fine ; modding the game and redistributing modified sources or recompiled executable would be completely fine by us, but the author would be liable to UE4 royalties if it was sold ; modding the game and redistributing a full package including our content would not be fine. We basically want to be as open as possible while being a business.
Post edited January 28, 2019 by VoidStranger
toxicTom: Ok bought it and started the tutorial. Physics are real fun, and I mean it. If you found the docking procedure of Elite hard, stay away though.
Thankfully you can buy the autodock technology right at the beginning of the game so you don't have to worry about manual docking too much.
I'm not even sure my current machine will run this, but... Space sim with Newtonian physics... with Linux support at release... and open-source code... I kinda can't say no to all that. Bought!
Shadowcat: I'm not even sure my current machine will run this, but... Space sim with Newtonian physics... with Linux support at release... and open-source code... I kinda can't say no to all that. Bought!
Well, I don't know what potato you have to have in order to be unable to launch the game, considering it runs on my FX-8320E+GTX650 (12GB DDR3 thouth). :)
Post edited January 29, 2019 by Alm888
VoidStranger: We basically want to be as open as possible while being a business.
And actually you're awesome developers! :-)
Bought!
Shadowcat: I'm not even sure my current machine will run this, but... Space sim with Newtonian physics... with Linux support at release... and open-source code... I kinda can't say no to all that. Bought!
Alm888: Well, I don't know what potato you have to have in order to be unable to launch the game, considering it runs on my FX-8320E+GTX650 (12GB DDR3 thouth). :)
Just for comparison it's running fine so far (no idea how RAM heavy late-game will be) on an Acer laptop with 5th gen i5 CPU and 840m GPU card... :)
Alm888: Well, I don't know what potato you have to have in order to be unable to launch the game, considering it runs on my FX-8320E+GTX650 (12GB DDR3 thouth). :)
Well I've not even downloaded it yet, so who knows; but my video card is 5 years older than yours, and I have a third of the RAM, so I shall remain in a state of dubiousness :)