It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Eliminating the impossible, embracing the improbable

Four Sherlock Holmes games, chronicling the point'n'click exploits of the brilliant consulting detective, are available now, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 60% launch discount if purchased individually or 80% as part of the <span class="bold">221b Baker Street</span> bundle.

The somber sound of a deftly played violin spills in from the adjacent room. Sherlock must be in a mood again. The good doctor takes another look at the notebook where he keeps records of his dear friend's most spectacular adventures. Hmm, which one should he write about in an attempt to lift his spirits?

Maybe about <span class="bold">The Awakened</span>. This is where they faced a sinister cult worshiping terrible gods and had to unravel a downward spiral of senseless brutality and madness. The recollection still gives Watson shivers.

What about that time when the ultimate puzzle-solver met his <span class="bold">Nemesis</span>, as he engaged in a mental duel with the legendary gentleman thief Arsene Lupin?

Perhaps he can write about how they chased the infamous <span class="bold">Jack the Ripper</span> through the seedy Whitechapel district, while painstakingly examining those horrible murder scenes.

He is somewhat reluctant to recount <span class="bold">The Testament of Sherlock Holmes</span>. A thrilling case to be sure, but also one that revealed his companion's darker side, as he was fighting to clear his name of some truly vile accusations.

This is harder than he thought. See, they are all so chock-full of suspense, brilliant brain teasers, fateful encounters, and picturesque locales. Perhaps it's time to consult the charismatic man in the other room. After all, this is how they managed to tackle all those challenges in the first place: as a team.

Exercise your crime-solving skills in four adventures featuring the legendary Sherlock Holmes, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 60/80% discounts for <span class="bold">221b Baker Street</span> will last for the duration of the Bundleopolis Sale.
ThePeoplesEllbow: Played Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper and the game froze when I had to go to the bookstore and clicked on
it on the map. Since the Save-Function didn´t work as well, I have to start all over again.
Anybody else who got this issues? I don´t mind starting it again from the beginning since I liked the game so far,
but if it is freezing on different occasions and there´s no way to save along the road this would be a complete
waste of time...
Try installing the Nvidia Physx driver and legacy driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.15.0428-driver.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.13.0604-legacy-driver.html

Splatsch: Are these games still advised to someone like me ? Are they "hard" ?
Is this more "mystery-adventure" oriented, or more "point & click" ?
Played a bit of the first, had to talk to everone at a crime scene and find all evidence.
After I got a list of questions that I had to provide the answers to using the conversations/evidence.
The deduction is pretty hard. :P
Though it does make sense the game won't tell you if any of your answers were correct until all of them are.
Post edited May 01, 2016 by omega64
Splatsch: It seems very interesting, and I'm loving Sherlock Holmes in general (and Lovecraft, and Arsène Lupin :))... But I don't like point & clicks, where there are usually a big lack of logical solutions and you often have to try every combinations of objects (which is something I don't find very funny and interesting :P).
Are these games still advised to someone like me ? Are they "hard" ?
How do you feel about:

- Disorienting fixed camera angles?
- Hunting for very small and obscure things to click on?
- Slow movement?
- Frustrating controls?
- Having no real objective other than to find and click on everything that you're allowed to click on?

If you think you can tolerate all of those things, then the bundle might be worth considering. Otherwise, save your money. To be fair, this is just based on my limited experience with the Silver Earring game, so I don't know if any of the others are better. I tried The Awakened because I thought the first-person camera option would make it more playable, but sadly it has a really small FOV with no option to increase it, which meant being stuck with the awful third-person camera and controls.
Marioface5: - Hunting for very small and obscure things to click on?
- Having no real objective other than to find and click on everything that you're allowed to click on?
These are two very bad points for me (the others go from "no problem" to "it can be fine is game is good").
But "Silver Earring" seems to be the less... good of the bundle. May be the other games improves a lot concerning all things you talked about ?
There isn't any specific objective/main guideline ? Oo

omega64: Played a bit of the first, had to talk to everone at a crime scene and find all evidence.
After I got a list of questions that I had to provide the answers to using the conversations/evidence.
The deduction is pretty hard. :P
Though it does make sense the game won't tell you if any of your answers were correct until all of them are.
I see. Huuum..... Were the evidences very hard to find ? (like two pixels wide and hardly noticeable, or you can find them only under certain conditions ?)

Too bad you can't buy only 2 or 3 of the game at full discount, I would have tried XD The Awakened is very attracting, and Testament seems very good.

Thanks both of you for your help :)
Post edited May 01, 2016 by Splatsch
Marioface5: - Hunting for very small and obscure things to click on?
Splatsch: These are two very bad points for me (the others go from "no problem" to "it can be fine is game is good").
But "Silver Earring" seems to be the less... good of the bundle. May be the other games improves a lot concerning all things you talked about ?
There isn't any specific objective/main guideline ? Oo
I would hope that the others are better, but like I said I haven't bothered to really try them yet. As for objectives, I would hope there are some later in the game, but in the first area (which I never finished after I think over an hour of playing) the only objective was to find evidence and talk to people. No puzzles, just find things to click on. I know there are puzzles later though, since I've seen some reviews that complained about illogical puzzles. Apparently there are also really frustrating time-sensitive sections. I don't know if either of those are issues with the rest of the series. So if you do buy the bundle, maybe don't start with Silver Earring.
Splatsch: Are these games still advised to someone like me ? Are they "hard" ?
I completed the awakened and nemesis back when they were released,i didn't found them to be particularly difficult and, in my opinion,they are certainly more logical in their puzzles than say the classic lucasarts games or the newer titles from daedalic although there are some instances of weird puzzles here and there and some clues are a little bit hard to find due to their small size but in a sense it's in line with being a game with Sherlock Holmes as a protagonist.

You are usually confined to a location(some small,some big)where you have to find clues and solve puzzles to move on with the story and while an objective may not be specified constantly usually the dialogues between holmes and watson can point you in the right directions.

I have installed The Silver Earring yesterday and yes,it seems a little bit more limited than the rest of the series

This link seems to have a still functioning download for the sherlock holmes nemesis demo in case you want to try and see for yourself if it's too difficult or if it's your cup of tea :D
Post edited May 01, 2016 by EraVasher
EraVasher: I completed the awakened and nemesis back when they were released,i didn't found them to be particularly difficult and, in my opinion,they are certainly more logical in their puzzles than say the classic lucasarts games or the newer titles from daedalic although there are some instances of weird puzzles here and there and some clues are a little bit hard to find due to their small size but in a sense it's in line with being a game with Sherlock Holmes as a protagonist.

You are usually confined to a location(some small,some big)where you have to find clues and solve puzzles to move on with the story and while an objective may not be specified constantly usually the dialogues between holmes and watson can point you in the right directions.

I have installed The Silver Earring yesterday and yes,it seems a little bit more limited than the rest of the series
Sounds not bad. I tried to play several point & click and...nope. I just can't (Grim Fandango & the first Monkey Island for example). Too illogical for me. Not enough indications. And that's a shame because the games are good, visuals are marvelous, etc...
That's why I'm asking : these Sherlock Holmes games doesn't seems like "usual" point & click, and it appeals me a lot because it's investigations, and with Sherlock Holmes (and one concerning Chtulu :)). But I really don't like point & clicks (all the ones I tried were a failure).
But may be I should wait for "The Awakened" to be on an big sale :P (I can't permit myself to buy a whole bundle that I may don't like XD)
Thanks a lot for your help :)

Marioface5: I would hope that the others are better, but like I said I haven't bothered to really try them yet. As for objectives, I would hope there are some later in the game, but in the first area (which I never finished after I think over an hour of playing) the only objective was to find evidence and talk to people. No puzzles, just find things to click on. I know there are puzzles later though, since I've seen some reviews that complained about illogical puzzles. Apparently there are also really frustrating time-sensitive sections. I don't know if either of those are issues with the rest of the series. So if you do buy the bundle, maybe don't start with Silver Earring.
Okay :) Thanks again for all explanations !
Post edited May 02, 2016 by Splatsch
EraVasher: This link seems to have a still functioning download for the sherlock holmes nemesis demo in case you want to try and see for yourself if it's too difficult or if it's your cup of tea :D
Argh, I notice your post edition too laaaate !
But I finally ended up buying the bundle :) I spent 1 hour watching gameplay of Nemesis and Awakening : only the writing and atmosphere catch me, and there seems to be a "hint" system, which may help me a lot to enjoy the game. I'll begin with the Awakening I think : it's the one that attract me the most ! But may be I should begin with another one ? Any opinion ?

Thanks again for your help :)
Splatsch: Sounds not bad. I tried to play several point & click and...nope. I just can't (Grim Fandango & the first Monkey Island for example)
Grim Fandango is probably my favourite adventure game but i have to agree,a lot of the puzzles can put off people who are not used to weird puzzles :D

Splatsch: I'll begin with the Awakening I think : it's the one that attract me the most ! But may be I should begin with another one ? Any opinion ?
Awakening was the first one i played as well,and yeah,i would recommend that as it's more varied with the locations compared to Nemesis and easier,i still haven't played Jack The Ripper and only played a little bit of Testament so i wouldn't know about those
EraVasher: Grim Fandango is probably my favourite adventure game but i have to agree,a lot of the puzzles can put off people who are not used to weird puzzles :D
It is a very good game (really). But it is... really... too much "pointy" on several things (hey, you haven't looked this so you can't trigger this which will trigger... but nothing warn you, you're free of your movements in the entire level) and hardly-logical for me at moments XD
In fact, we tried to play it with my girlfriend, but when we understood that a guide was needed at moments for people like us (and that we don't really like to lose 3 hours doing back and forth while trying everything), weeeeell... The game lost all our interest :P Which is a shame because as I said, it is really an excellent game. But not for people who don't like point&click category of games :P (I finally understood that I'm simply not a "Lucasarts point&click fan" ;))

EraVasher: Awakening was the first one i played as well,and yeah,i would recommend that as it's more varied with the locations compared to Nemesis and easier,i still haven't played Jack The Ripper and only played a little bit of Testament so i wouldn't know about those
Did you played Nemesis Remastered, or the original ? In remastered, they seems to have included hints/help system :) That's why I finally took the risk to buy the bundle. If there is a smart integrated help, it may "smooth" a lot the adventure for someone like me.
But Awakening is really exciting ! Holmes & Watson in a kind of Lovecraftian story ? And you must try to solve the case ? Oh yeah !
Edit : Do you advice to play in 1st person or 3rd person ? (I've read that you can switch ?)
Splatsch: But not for people who don't like point&click category of games :P (I finally understood that I'm simply not a "Lucasarts point&click fan" ;))
In some ways i don't think i am a lucasarts aficionado myself,i love grim fandango and some of the monkey islands(1 and 3) but the original sam&max for example was maddening for me as was monkey island 2,i always liked better the broken sword series

Splatsch: Did you played Nemesis Remastered, or the original ? In remastered, they seems to have included hints/help system :) That's why I finally took the risk to buy the bundle. If there is a smart integrated help, it may "smooth" a lot the adventure for someone like me.
But Awakening is really exciting ! Holmes & Watson in a kind of Lovecraftian story ? And you must try to solve the case ? Oh yeah !
Edit : Do you advice to play in 1st person or 3rd person ? (I've read that you can switch ?)
I think it was the remastered version because i could change view from 1st person to 3rd person but i don't remember the hints while i do remember having played the original Awakened without the hints and the possibility to change the view in 3d person so to answer your last question i'm used to the 1st person camera in these games i don't know,it seems better suited

And yes the lovecraftian theme works great in Awakened!
EraVasher: ... but the original sam&max for example was maddening for me as was monkey island 2...
I don't even want to imagine the difficulty of those two games XD

EraVasher: I think it was the remastered version because i could change view from 1st person to 3rd person but i don't remember the hints while i do remember having played the original Awakened without the hints and the possibility to change the view in 3d person so to answer your last question i'm used to the 1st person camera in these games i don't know,it seems better suited

And yes the lovecraftian theme works great in Awakened!
Okay :)
So it seems to be the best to begin !
Thanks again for all your help and sharing your experience :)
Splatsch: Okay :)
So it seems to be the best to begin !
Thanks again for all your help and sharing your experience :)
No problem!Hope you like the games!
They need Serrated Scapel and Rose Tattoo, that's what I'm waiting for.
Tuttle757: They need Serrated Scapel and Rose Tattoo, that's what I'm waiting for.
Yes, those are two of the greatest adventure games ever made. Played both of them a huge couple of times, owned the retail versions as well, but would buy them immediately if we could get them here.
Tuttle757: They need Serrated Scapel and Rose Tattoo, that's what I'm waiting for.
MBiL_248: Yes, those are two of the greatest adventure games ever made. Played both of them a huge couple of times, owned the retail versions as well, but would buy them immediately if we could get them here.
Those two are the best Sherlock Holmes games ever!
Post edited May 04, 2016 by Arveja