It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We're casting True Resurrection on Eye of the Beholder and twelve more D&D GoldBox classics.

You are sitting in a tavern. The mighty Wizards of the Coast bestow upon you their greatest treasures: Forgotten Realms: The Archives - long lost relics of an RPG renaissance that changed the face of gaming forever. Today, one of the forgotten grails of gaming history is within your grasp, should you travel to a magical, DRM-free realm known as GOG.com

Eye of the Beholder, Pool of Radiance, Menzoberranzan - the list of groundbreaking RPG classics goes on. We set out on the quest for Forgotten Realms: The Archives a long time ago, and though it was a perilous journey - after years of searching, huge help from our friends at Hasbro and Wizards of The Coast, as well as months of technical work - we get to be freaking excited to sit here and say:
Forgotten Realms: The Archives are available now, DRM-free on GOG.com

The Archives are a set of thirteen D&D GoldBox classics packaged across three collections:
--<span class="bold">Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection One</span> features Eye of the Beholder I, II, and III. It's the three and only, the gold-standard in classic RPG dungeon crawling.

--<span class="bold">Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Two</span> features more gameplay hours and secrets than we could ever count - with Pool of Radiance, Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Pools of Darkness, Secret of the Silver Blades, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, and D&D: Unlimited Adventures.

--<span class="bold">Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Three</span> features near-infinite replay value and and an important chunk of RPG history with Dungeon Hack and Menzoberranzan.

We are now home to precisely 20 years of digital D&D RPG history - from Pool of Radiance (1988) to Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (2008). You can also complete your personal collection with all the remaining D&D titles on sale at up to 80% off in our early D&amp;D Weekend Promo! Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights - they're all here, so head straight to the promo page, or read more about it.

Stream watch:

We'll be featuring lots of D&D classics at Twitch.tv/GOGcom - follow us to not miss 'em or read on for the full Dungeon-and-Dragon-filled schedule below!

THURSDAY, August 20th:
2pm GMT / 4pm CEST / 10am EDT / 7am PDT: Pool of Radiance with Classicor
4pm GMT / 6pm CEST / 12pm EDT / 9am PDT: Eye of the Beholder II with MegapiemanPHD
6pm GMT / 8pm CEST / 2pm EDT / 11am PDT: Eye of the Beholder with Outstar
10pm GMT / 12am CEST / 6pm EDT / 3pm PDT: Menzoberranzan with Classicor

FRIDAY, August 21st:
6pm GMT / 8pm CEST / 2pm EDT / 11am PDT: Curse of the Azure Bonds with Piranjade

SUNDAY, August 23rd:
10pm GMT / 12am CEST / 6pm EDT / 3pm PDT: Dungeon Hack with Classicor
How ƃuᴉʞɔnɟ cute! :-)
mangamuscle: No doubt if they wanted to make a new game they need a new deal, but I do wonder if a remake (using the same 1st edition rules, but with an improved gui) really needs a new deal.
BiggerJ: I meant rerelease. But as for new games, a remake would have to be treated as a new product.
I wonder about that, I heard that baldur's gate is "it's own ip" so I tought this might be also the case. As usual, the devil is in the contract fine print.
hey ya missed about 10 or so are we gonna get them too? Would love to get ad&D strong hold
9which was ad&d themed majesty pretty much)
toxicTom: *envy*
Thiev: heheheh &gt;:)
It's been a while since you guys posted photos; how about some of the LA office? :P
NoNewTaleToTell: Major release! I've never played them but they look quite good, especially for their age!

A bit of a side question: I'm completely uninformed with Dungeons and Dragons, but the Forgotten Realms is the same Plane that Baldur's Gate and most of the other Infinity Engine DnD games are set in, right? Are there any other games set in the same Plane as Planescape: Torment, or others that are completely different than the "This Really Isn't Ye Olde England, We Swear!...Just Don't Look Too Closely Please" Planes?
JudasIscariot: Most of them *should* be set within Faerun, which is the setting that Baldur's Gate uses :) Planescape: Torment's world is another setting entirely within the Forgotten Realms :)
Oh.... oh boy... I know I'm a few days late & I shamefully missed this jewel of a release day but... oh boy... I saw some already gave one or two liners about that but I cannot let this quote run free. Some may correct me, I have not done this for several years.

*picks up hilarious big nerd glasses*
The AD&D ²nd Ed. Multiverse is almost completely connected trough several planes of existence.

You have the prime material plane which would be the several planets like Abeir-Toril (which hosts the Forgotten Realms; Maztica & Al-Qadim Settings) & all the other planets (Greyhawk [fun fact: the main planet, Oerth, is the center of its solar system & the sun circles around it] & Dragonlance and so on each in their own solar system inside their protective crystal shells) connected trough the Spelljammer setting. Even Dark Sun (no, you don't just fly there; I forgot the reason but I remember it is always trouble).

Then there are demi-planes. Usually short lived with one popular exception: Ravenloft (which ironically is connected to 18th century gothic horror Earth with the Masque of the Red Death campaign [see "Penny Dreadful" for more reference :P ]).

Then you have Sigil (Planescape "capital city"). The city of planes & gates. It is NOT, and I cant stress it enough, it IS NOT(!) on the same plane of existence like the FR are. Sure, everywhere on the material plane are fixed and spontaneous Portals connected to Sigil. But Sigil floats above the tallest mountain (imagine a long needle like spire); looks like a donut & the city itself is on the inside of it. The dimension "planet" it is on is a disk connected to dimensions like Baator, Elysium, Ysgard, Arcadia and so on. All versions of afterlife. Mighty Tanari, Solar & Batezu walk the streets like humans do in Waterdeep because it is normality there. It moving the the prime material would be a judgement day which would make the atrocitys of the 4th Edition look like a spelling correction.

And then there is the Astral plane. Home of the Githyanki, Githzerai & countless of dead mages/priests who thought its easy travel.

Yeah, a real high level AD&D campaign could get really messy & the borders between life and death very very blurry. Its fun, but totally messes with your head :D
Post edited August 30, 2015 by anothername
Finally the nerd level in this thread has reached critical mass. ;)
Post edited August 30, 2015 by Klumpen0815
nightshade2013: hey ya missed about 10 or so are we gonna get them too? Would love to get ad&D strong hold
Nope, Stronghold does not use the AD&D 1st or 2nd edition ruleset like the gold box series, it uses the D&D ruleset which is different enough to not be directly compatible with AD&D. The arcade games Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara by Capcom, Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the sega genesis and Order of the Griffon for the TurboGrafx-16 also use the D&D ruleset.
Post edited August 30, 2015 by mangamuscle
WOW thankyou GOG for these old classics was looking for these for years .
Holy ****ing ****. GOG your awesome!!!. Reminders of my childhood :).just found this release......gog is also publisher:)
nightshade2013: hey ya missed about 10 or so are we gonna get them too? Would love to get ad&D strong hold
mangamuscle: Nope, Stronghold does not use the AD&D 1st or 2nd edition ruleset like the gold box series, it uses the D&D ruleset which is different enough to not be directly compatible with AD&D. The arcade games Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara by Capcom, Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the sega genesis and Order of the Griffon for the TurboGrafx-16 also use the D&D ruleset.
Yeah, Master of Magic, is what you're looking at for AD&D 4X.
OMFG I love these games! I'm playing Eye of the Beholder right now! I'm on the second level and enjoying it as much if not more than I did 25 years ago!
I don't know if anyone will see this, as most of the comments are really old. I played this game about 20 years ago. For some reason I am completely stuck on the par tof the game with the travel markers. There is a sling shot that needs to be picked up but for some reason when I go to pick it up I get turned around and lost to where I am unable to get back to the sling shot. Please if anyone is able to help. I would truly appreciate it. TIA
victoriamaldonado: I don't know if anyone will see this, as most of the comments are really old. I played this game about 20 years ago. For some reason I am completely stuck on the par tof the game with the travel markers. There is a sling shot that needs to be picked up but for some reason when I go to pick it up I get turned around and lost to where I am unable to get back to the sling shot. Please if anyone is able to help. I would truly appreciate it. TIA
I can't help but someone else here may be able to, or maybe the game forum has tips: click "community" at top, search "forgotten realms" in the "Game specific forums" searchbar. Or you could try posting on the GOG subreddit. If this isn't a bug (maybe it is) you could look into a walkthrough.