It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brawn, brains, persistent blood stains.

<span class="bold">Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition</span>, the definitive package for the open-world, free-running zombie survival sensation, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with GOG Galaxy support for multiplayer, achievements and leaderboards, and a 17% launch discount.

As the light is dying, so are your chances of survival. A mysterious outbreak has turned a city's population into running, flesh-eating killers who grow severely more aggressive at night. You are also turned into a runner when your mission to retrieve some sensitive documents from the hopelessly infested city of Harran goes awry. Some people speak of a cure, some worship an aloof, self-proclaimed savior, and others fight each other for supplies or territory control. But all of them have one thing in common: they are constantly on the run.

Master the flow of your swift parkour moves and your weapon-wielding skills in order to stay alive. During the day the infected are less energetic, relying on their numbers to gang-up on you before you can scale the nearby building, overrun them with a buggy, or club them to death with your makeshift destructible weapons. But when darkness falls, the tables are turned: your enemies grow stronger, bolder, and terrifyingly more agile while unspeakable horrors crawl out of their daytime hibernation. Don't get followed or you may not live to see daybreak ever again.

Outmaneuver the flesh-eating hordes and escape your nocturnal pursuers before the <span class="bold">Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition</span> wanes completely, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 17% launch discount will last until March 23, 1:59 PM GMT.

The game is not available for purchase in Germany. There are legal restrictions that are beyond our control, and we're very sorry for the inconvenience.

Twitch alert

Want to see people desperately running away from the infected hordes? Tune in on Twitch.tv/GOGcom and watch Memoriesin8bit and Outstar's co-op stream this Wednesday, March 16, at 9 PM GMT / 4 PM EST / 22:00 CET / 1 PM PST.
Matruchus: I don't know it just seems to me that gog dropped support for Linux.
Gersen: Well if you believe the AoW 3 devs the reason why we don't see many Linux version could also simply because devs don't consider the number of peoples interested by a Linux version on GoG is not significant enough for it to be worth the hassle.
Actually that dev said that they didn't sell enough game copies on gog to be worth for them to make a drm-free linux port available here.
low rated
XyleDaylight: Whether you believe it to be or not doesn't change the fact that it is.
BKGaming: And just because you believe it is, doesn't make it true. See how that works.

Call me when you have limited installs, or need internet to play single player or can't copy the installer. Then we'll agree GOG has DRM.
DRM has nothing to do with needing or not needing an internet connection. Online multiplayer will always need a online connnection of course... but that is not DRM. Internet is not DRM. I can play online Terraria and many other games with no client, no key, no activation, and simply IP connect to a friend.

I don't need your agreement or approval that this title contains DRM, Mr Damage Control.

XyleDaylight: If one has to use 3rd party software or otherwise dance around outside the actual game just to to pseudo-LAN... you're doing it wrong. What is so hard about having a console command of 'connect <IP ADDRESS> ?
Yeshu: You never used GameSpy have you kid?
Borderlands 1
Post edited March 17, 2016 by XyleDaylight
Angry linux user shakes fist at sky. Damn you Galaxy you ruining ruiner!
Post edited March 17, 2016 by drinnen
Matruchus: Actually that dev said that they didn't sell enough game copies on gog to be worth for them to make a drm-free linux port available here.
Which is basically what I said; they consider that Gog market share is not enough for the Linux version to be profitable, and I strongly suspect they are probably not the only one thinking like that.
adamhm: Or depending on the game they could simply release a version with the Galaxy features disabled until the Linux client is ready.
This is possible. Sidenote: that is a fun game.
XyleDaylight: DRM has nothing to do with needing or not needing an internet connection. Online multiplayer will always need a online connnection of course... but that is not DRM. Internet is not DRM. I can play online Terraria and many other games with no client, no key, no activation, and simply IP connect to a friend.

I don't need your agreement or approval that this title contains DRM, Mr Damage Control.
And of course you didn't actually read what I wrote. I said when you need the internet for single player, ie a constant internet connection is needed to play.

You can believe whatever you want, I don't really care.
low rated
XyleDaylight: DRM has nothing to do with needing or not needing an internet connection. Online multiplayer will always need a online connnection of course... but that is not DRM. Internet is not DRM. I can play online Terraria and many other games with no client, no key, no activation, and simply IP connect to a friend.

BKGaming: And of course you didn't actually read what I wrote. I said when you need the internet for single player, ie a constant internet connection is needed to play.

You can believe whatever you want, I don't really care.
Oh wow, I can believe whatever I want? Thanks for your permission on that again.

I did read it... and didn't respond to stuff that I never brought up... like not needing an internet connection for offline plau. Big whoop. Those the standards you're impressed by? Single player is not what I'm talking about.

And no, I won't call you if/when those things happen. You'll probably just try to justify them then, too.
Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4aooc1/dying_light_the_following_available_on_gog_drm/

Some comments:

"One step forward.. and 1 big step back.
DRM-Free/GOG Galaxy is a great option to have for a PC game, but this is a coop/online game. Dividing the community is a terrible move, especially when its a 1-year old Steam community, vs a gog community. GOG doesn't stand a chance in this case, and probably not in many others against Steam."

"dying light uses steamworks for multiplayer so in order to make it work on gog they had to remove steamworks and implement the gog galaxy multiplayer libraries, I don't know if it's possible to use the gog galaxy libraries without having gog galaxy installed but I guess no so the only way to have cross play between gog and steam is to implement their own netcode"

"As much as I love GOG I feel like they are getting closer and closer to just selling games with DRM. They've started to sell a view games that are locked to having user accounts and being online to play multiplayer, they say it's DRM free because it has a single-player component... but I feel as if the main part of these games IS the multiplayer, and the single-player component is only a very small part of the game experience. Wargame is a prime example of this."
high rated
XyleDaylight: Your arguement is pretty much this.

"Hey guys it's not DRM because you don't get to play the multiplayer and you never did!"
No my argument is simply :

Trying to convince devs to release games without DRM is one thing, telling those same devs : "Ok guys, for multiplayer forget about all those nice and easy Steam & Co API you were using until now; for us you will have to support LAN, even if you didn't do it for the Steam version, and/or also create a whole multiplayer infrastructure totally independent from Steam, Galaxy or any third party tools... is another thing....

and guess what... it's not going to work.

You can ask devs to "remove" something (e.g. DRM) but you can hardly ask them to add (i.e. spend time developing) something new for you, especially when you only represent a fraction of the market.

Also what you seem to forget, or probably don't even know, is that when the game does provide it's own LAN / direct IP multiplayer the it's perfectly playable online without Galaxy. (and apparently if I believe some post in this thread, it's the case for Dying Light)
tfishell: Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4aooc1/dying_light_the_following_available_on_gog_drm/

Some comments:

DRM-Free/GOG Galaxy is a great option to have for a PC game, but this is a coop/online game. Dividing the community is a terrible move, especially when its a 1-year old Steam community, vs a gog community. GOG doesn't stand a chance in this case, and probably not in many others against Steam."

"dying light uses steamworks for multiplayer so in order to make it work on gog they had to remove steamworks and implement the gog galaxy multiplayer libraries, I don't know if it's possible to use the gog galaxy libraries without having gog galaxy installed but I guess no so the only way to have cross play between gog and steam is to implement their own netcode"

"As much as I love GOG I feel like they are getting closer and closer to just selling games with DRM. They've started to sell a view games that are locked to having user accounts and being online to play multiplayer, they say it's DRM free because it has a single-player component... but I feel as if the main part of these games IS the multiplayer, and the single-player component is only a very small part of the game experience. Wargame is a prime example of this."
Well, when you "need" a third party application apart from your system and the game to access game content you bought, then the client is no longer "optional". DRM-free in this case means facilitating access to bought game content without the requirement to have to use a third party software to access that content, otherwise the game is not DRM free.

So yeah, in my opinion the last standing pillar of GOG's principles starts to crumble. As I am not that interested in the multiplayer content of games here, it is not that severe for me.
MaGo72: Well, when you "need" a third party application apart from your system and the game to access game content you bought, then the client is no longer "optional". DRM-free in this case means facilitating access to bought game content without the requirement to have to use a third party software to access that content, otherwise the game is not DRM free.

So yeah, in my opinion the last standing pillar of GOG's principles starts to crumble. As I am not that interested in the multiplayer content of games here, it is not that severe for me.
I also assume you are not interested in single-player achievements. because more and more games require galaxy for that too. And there is little doubt that GOG is encouraging developers to add this to their games.
MaGo72: So yeah, in my opinion the last standing pillar of GOG's principles <span class="bold">started crumbling 1.5 years ago</span>.
Fixed it for you.
MaGo72: So yeah, in my opinion the last standing pillar of GOG's principles starts to crumble. As I am not that interested in the multiplayer content of games here, it is not that severe for me.
I haven't bought a new GOG game in months simply because I don't have time for gaming anymore and I still have dozens of unplayed games, some of which I may never get to. :P I do like helping "clean up" the wishlist, though.
tfishell: Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4aooc1/dying_light_the_following_available_on_gog_drm/

Some comments:

there are always people who want to have trojans on their pc.
Gersen: Trying to convince devs to release games without DRM is one thing, telling those same devs : "Ok guys, for multiplayer forget about all those nice and easy Steam & Co API you were using until now; for us you will have to support LAN, even if you didn't do it for the Steam version, and/or also create a whole multiplayer infrastructure totally independent from Steam, Galaxy or any third party tools... is another thing....

and guess what... it's not going to work.
The corporate defense is real. Oh the poor multi million dollar AAA game company ... we can't just ask for them to support multiplayer that's existed since the 90s. We can't just ask for standards.

Excuse me but they spent god knows how much in marketing and other features. Don't tell me this is beyond them because we know it's not.

Gersen: especially when you only represent a fraction of the market.
The irony of saying that on this very forum.

Gersen: Also what you seem to forget, or probably don't even know, is that when the game does provide it's own LAN / direct IP multiplayer the it's perfectly playable online without Galaxy. (and apparently if I believe some post in this thread, it's the case for Dying Light)
Well excuse me for reading the actual store page. If the info is wrong you can hardly blame me. If there is a direct IP connect then I'll take back everything I said and put this one on my wishlist.

EDIT: I also just want to say that absolutely none of this would've been any problem if Galaxy was open source, had linux support and didn't require your account details. You know... modular and empowering like they advertised it to be.
Attachments:
drm.png (9 Kb)
Post edited March 17, 2016 by XyleDaylight