It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A true indie classic!

DROD 1+2+3, a classic indie (that's a thing!) puzzle/adventure/RPG trilogy with gameplay full of mind-boggling challenges, and a unforgettable male lead, is available on GOG.com, for only $9.99.

[url=http://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3][/url]There's a notion that indie game development is a recent trend. Created by Erik Hermansen in 1997 DROD--or Deadly Rooms of Death--is a great example that it isn't so. Following mostly the adventures of Beethro, a hero who is mostly remembered for his extremely unlucky charisma rolls, the games combine clever puzzle game mechanics with top-down dungeon crawling. What this series lacks in visual department it more than makes up for in its huge amount of complex and challenging levels. DROD 1+2+3 contains King Dugan's Dungeon, Journey to Rooted Hold, The City Beneath--the three classic campaigns that will take you hours, and hours to solve.

Put on your thinking cap, prepare for some peculiar humor, and experience all that DROD 1+2+3 has to offer, for only $9.99 on GOG.com. That's only $3.33 per an amazing indie classic!
Looks interesting, but is really very hard?
I think it was in a bundle at some point?. IG i think?
gandalf.nho: Looks interesting, but is really very hard?
The ideas used in it are simple. The tactics you need to employ do get harder later on.

Basic idea is that monsters cannot go into an occupied space, other than to eat the hero. If you move your sword to a spot occupied by a monster, the monster dies. You can move the sword clockwise and counterclockwise, and can move yourself in the 8 cardinal directions.

Now add ooze that spreads (but can be destroyed), switches that turn walls on and off, snakes that grow larger, doors, floor that you can step on a limited number of times, and it does require more effort as it goes on.
You know, the only thing I can think of when I look at those screenshots is 'programmer art'.
Austrobogulator: You know, the only thing I can think of when I look at those screenshots is 'programmer art'.
Including bugs to be squished?
gandalf.nho: Looks interesting, but is really very hard?
JMich: The ideas used in it are simple. The tactics you need to employ do get harder later on.

Basic idea is that monsters cannot go into an occupied space, other than to eat the hero. If you move your sword to a spot occupied by a monster, the monster dies. You can move the sword clockwise and counterclockwise, and can move yourself in the 8 cardinal directions.

Now add ooze that spreads (but can be destroyed), switches that turn walls on and off, snakes that grow larger, doors, floor that you can step on a limited number of times, and it does require more effort as it goes on.
Thanks, I guess isn't much my cup of tea then
Niggles: I think it was in a bundle at some point?. IG i think?
DROD 5 was on IGS.
Hm, It looks a little bit like CULT games (does any1 remember them?). Is the gameplay similiar to them?

Screens from Cult:
http://www.blumgames.com/?page_id=12
http://www.blumgames.com/?page_id=201
Post edited January 21, 2014 by zeffyr
gandalf.nho: Thanks, I guess isn't much my cup of tea then
You can always try the demo first.
Quality stuff, but I'd like to see DROD RPG here.
Niggles: I think it was in a bundle at some point?. IG i think?
IG SumerDream
Now this I've never heard of. Looks tabletop-y - JMich's descriptions made me think of Roborally - color me interested.
Post edited January 21, 2014 by Erich_Zann
Mediocre graphics is not really important for me. Main thing is that it makes fun and maybe it could, being a classic and everything.
DROD is a great puzzle game. Starts easy, gets harder, optional harder puzzles, a lot of variety. There is a lot of good user generated content too. Graphics are simple but serve the gameplay well.