It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The pirate you were meant to be.

<span class="bold">Blood &amp; Gold: Caribbean</span>, a free-roaming plunderer simulation, now DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

Did blood start flowing after the lust of gold put men's hearts afire, or was it the other way around? Ah, don't bother yer noggins with such nonsense, me laddies, for Blood & Gold will always find a way to cross paths, whether on land or at sea.

Especially in the Caribbean, where every man is free to carve his own path and make his own fortune, either as a businessman or a cutthroat (but aren't those unnervingly similar?). Blood & Gold is a bold reimagining of the open-world strategy/RPG, containing new features and updated gameplay that will make your pirating exploits even more memorable. Put together a fleet to plunder the seven seas, crush these spineless landlubbers on solid ground or rule the islands as a shrewd businessman. Blood & Gold: Caribbean! brings the Native tribes for expanded troop variety, an all new blackjack minigame, the ability to play as a female character, new mission types, destructible fortifications during sieges and many more improvements and additions!

All previous owners of Caribbean! will receive a free copy of Blood & Gold: Caribbean!. The original game will still be accessible to current owners, but saved games will NOT be compatible with the new version.

Fill your rum diaries with hand-made swashbuckling adventures in <span class="bold">Blood &amp; Gold: Caribbean</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. Plunder it with a 10% discount that will last until December 17, 4:59 PM GMT.
I got it yesterday, though I don't understand the hate in the reviews here already. Elsewhere on the net it has better reception. It's a lot better than what the GOG reviewers would lead you to believe.

I've seen a pattern where no matter what Snowbird does to fix their games and make them more enjoyable people on GOG simply don't care. Eador: Masters of the Broken World launched with lots of issues but they are STILL patching it to make it better. That said, they've added a lot of new content with those patches, they've had free DLC, and they don't want to just give up on a project that went wrong before it hit retailers. They'll support it until it's nearly unrecognizable from the game that originally launched.

Caribbean is the same. It launched and was rough around the edges, but through patches and now this they've made an attempt to mend its wounds and make it a richer, more positive experience.

Not every developer goes to this extent to fix games and add content. I can't justify why a game would launch with issues, but what I can say is that a smaller studio get's more flack than even a AAA studio who releases a half-ass release of a game and then patch it over time, nearly on a regular basis. Those issues however are always looked at as minuscule, even if they aren't. If they patch their games and support them, that's fantastic. Unfortunately, their often abandoned after a set amount of time.

At least Snowbird doesn't abandon what they created!
JinseiNGC224: I got it yesterday, though I don't understand the hate in the reviews here already. Elsewhere on the net it has better reception. It's a lot better than what the GOG reviewers would lead you to believe.

I've seen a pattern where no matter what Snowbird does to fix their games and make them more enjoyable people on GOG simply don't care. Eador: Masters of the Broken World launched with lots of issues but they are STILL patching it to make it better. That said, they've added a lot of new content with those patches, they've had free DLC, and they don't want to just give up on a project that went wrong before it hit retailers. They'll support it until it's nearly unrecognizable from the game that originally launched.

Caribbean is the same. It launched and was rough around the edges, but through patches and now this they've made an attempt to mend its wounds and make it a richer, more positive experience.

Not every developer goes to this extent to fix games and add content. I can't justify why a game would launch with issues, but what I can say is that a smaller studio get's more flack than even a AAA studio who releases a half-ass release of a game and then patch it over time, nearly on a regular basis. Those issues however are always looked at as minuscule, even if they aren't. If they patch their games and support them, that's fantastic. Unfortunately, their often abandoned after a set amount of time.

... what hate? There is only one (3 star) review and it practically says "its cool now, try it out".
JinseiNGC224: I got it yesterday, though I don't understand the hate in the reviews here already. Elsewhere on the net it has better reception. It's a lot better than what the GOG reviewers would lead you to believe.

anothername: ... what hate? There is only one (3 star) review and it practically says "its cool now, try it out".
Most other net reviews right now, from gamers, is around 4 stars. My own experience with it is about the same.

My gripe is mostly nit picking. Someone who hasn't played many Mount & Blade games, like myself, may have a fresher opinion of this game than others. Though I'd rather just see a wealth of reviews,critic or not.

It's not so much that I think any degree of negativity is unavoidable. I would rather just have more of a variety of reviews that are honest, thoughtful, and fleshed out, and not only from a select few experienced gamers.

Also, a lot of people may not buy a 3 star game or read the entire review. And the review when I wrote my post in this thread originally was below 3 stars and reflected 10 different reviewers, with only one who wrote about it. It was more like 2 1/2, which is not good. It's already up to 3 stars as of now. Might creep up a bit more too.
Post edited December 11, 2015 by JinseiNGC224
blood & gold?? why not rum & gold
Is there any on land questing / open world exploration (as in Pirates of the Caribbean / Sea Dogs 2) - or is the extent of land based interaction roaming a town to buy / build and the land battles (I'm guessing on "setpiece" maps).
JinseiNGC224: ...
It might help if GOG finally allowed personal updating/editing of reviews (to reflect new, positive changes), rather than having to ask Support to make changes.
Post edited December 12, 2015 by tfishell
anothername: ... what hate? There is only one (3 star) review and it practically says "its cool now, try it out".
JinseiNGC224: Most other net reviews right now, from gamers, is around 4 stars. My own experience with it is about the same.

My gripe is mostly nit picking. Someone who hasn't played many Mount & Blade games, like myself, may have a fresher opinion of this game than others. Though I'd rather just see a wealth of reviews,critic or not.

It's not so much that I think any degree of negativity is unavoidable. I would rather just have more of a variety of reviews that are honest, thoughtful, and fleshed out, and not only from a select few experienced gamers.

Also, a lot of people may not buy a 3 star game or read the entire review. And the review when I wrote my post in this thread originally was below 3 stars and reflected 10 different reviewers, with only one who wrote about it. It was more like 2 1/2, which is not good. It's already up to 3 stars as of now. Might creep up a bit more too.
Either we live in two different dimensions and the gog forum is the bridging point in the multiverse or http://www.gog.com/game/blood_gold_caribbean only has one; a singular, not two, not three, not zero but 1; review. Please read it. Yes, it is not a glowing 5 star best game ever review. But Even after re-reading it; it is a very positive review with the author encouraging the reader to try this game out. Also it reads like a very honest review to me.
JinseiNGC224: Most other net reviews right now, from gamers, is around 4 stars. My own experience with it is about the same.

anothername: Either we live in two different dimensions and the gog forum is the bridging point in the multiverse or http://www.gog.com/game/blood_gold_caribbean only has one; a singular, not two, not three, not zero but 1; review. Please read it. Yes, it is not a glowing 5 star best game ever review. But Even after re-reading it; it is a very positive review with the author encouraging the reader to try this game out. Also it reads like a very honest review to me.
Your not paying attention to my main points and your taking my words too literally. When I said multiple reviews I meant multiple ratings. There were, at the time, ten ratings, and one review. A review can be either a rating, or a written critique. That should've been clear to figure out, though not many people would've bothered to look that much into what I said.

And no, that review is quite poor compared to what it could've been, and that alone will not help sell a game that's nearly 20 bucks. If it was a truly positive review it should've been 4 stars or more, not 3, which for many people do not buy a game at 3 unless it's dirt cheap and they have nothing better to buy. If you want to encourage someone to try it out, after the developers painstakingly went through the grueling effort of reworking it in the first place, AND gifted it to you for free (which that reviewer stated he got it for free as a past purchaser), it deserves better than that.

A review should mean more than a little shrug such as "yeah it's alright, but...insert analysis here...check it out yourself". It's like a friend telling you about a movie you wanted to see, which would then leave a feeling of being let down. I wouldn't want to see it. In much the same way, many people wouldn't spend 20 bucks for a game that with 3 stars, "positive" review or not, as there are far better games that they know they'll enjoy.

I'll be glad when there's more reviews, because that alone is not that great.

Either way you seemed to have missed the mark on what I meant, so there's no reason to egg the topic on more. If you find the review positive for yourself, great. Hopefully you buy the game for yourself. Write your own review at that point.
anothername: Either we live in two different dimensions and the gog forum is the bridging point in the multiverse or http://www.gog.com/game/blood_gold_caribbean only has one; a singular, not two, not three, not zero but 1; review. Please read it. Yes, it is not a glowing 5 star best game ever review. But Even after re-reading it; it is a very positive review with the author encouraging the reader to try this game out. Also it reads like a very honest review to me.
JinseiNGC224: Your not paying attention to my main points and your taking my words too literally. When I said multiple reviews I meant multiple ratings. There were, at the time, ten ratings, and one review. A review can be either a rating, or a written critique. That should've been clear to figure out, though not many people would've bothered to look that much into what I said.

And no, that review is quite poor compared to what it could've been, and that alone will not help sell a game that's nearly 20 bucks. If it was a truly positive review it should've been 4 stars or more, not 3, which for many people do not buy a game at 3 unless it's dirt cheap and they have nothing better to buy. If you want to encourage someone to try it out, after the developers painstakingly went through the grueling effort of reworking it in the first place, AND gifted it to you for free (which that reviewer stated he got it for free as a past purchaser), it deserves better than that.

A review should mean more than a little shrug such as "yeah it's alright, but...insert analysis here...check it out yourself". It's like a friend telling you about a movie you wanted to see, which would then leave a feeling of being let down. I wouldn't want to see it. In much the same way, many people wouldn't spend 20 bucks for a game that with 3 stars, "positive" review or not, as there are far better games that they know they'll enjoy.

I'll be glad when there's more reviews, because that alone is not that great.

Either way you seemed to have missed the mark on what I meant, so there's no reason to egg the topic on more. If you find the review positive for yourself, great. Hopefully you buy the game for yourself. Write your own review at that point.
Hm.. yeah. Assumed reviews = ratings; sry about that. And I agree; actually (imo) that one review reads more like 4 star than 3 star; would I be undecided to buy this it would be pushing me to do so. But since I actually bought the game already about two hours after it got release 2d ago its a bit too late to know for sure ;) . Its running head to head with fallen enchantress as what I play after I take a Galciv3 break.

I'm not sure where you're seeing this pattern of GOG users forever rejecting Snowbird's games because they launch buggy. Is it in the Eador: MOTBW reviews? The vast majority of the written reviews are from 2013 (when the game was unquestionably horribly buggy) and reviews aren't easy to edit on GOG - you have to put in a ticket with customer support. It's unlikely they'll ever be updated, even if the people who wrote them have since changed their minds.

If you believe ratings have value, Eador: MOTBW has better ratings on GOG than it does on Steam, which doesn't seem to demonstrate an unforgiving attitude from the users here.

As for Caribbean, that game had appalling ratings here - only 2 stars I believe. Even with just a handful of ratings, Blood & Gold has exceeded that. But I'm not expecting to see tonnes of new reviews any time soon. The original game sold badly on GOG, so not many people will have gotten Blood & Gold free. And it's launched with a very modest discount in the middle of a major sale, so it's not likely to attract a huge amount of new buyers right away. If you've already played the game yourself, perhaps you could write your own review? More people with see your positive impressions of the game on the game page than will ever read this release thread.
I'd like to try it out, but the damn thing won't launch. The system requirements are met, and I have reinstalled it a few times and everything seems to be in order, but when I click the "PLAY" button on Galaxy, nothing happens. It seems to be running in the background though, but it's not showing on task manager etc. I have also tried launching it from the folder. I've never had any problems with GOG games before. Any ideas what might cause it?
Ixamyakxim: Is there any on land questing / open world exploration (as in Pirates of the Caribbean / Sea Dogs 2) - or is the extent of land based interaction roaming a town to buy / build and the land battles (I'm guessing on "setpiece" maps).
After all the talk yesterday I sneak-peeked into it. I don't know SD2 (but I would love too, come on gog ;) )but if its anything like Oblivion then no. You navigate on a isometric map. The third person "adventuring" is restricted to said setpiece maps when visiting towns (optional, can do most if not all trade from the port map), ship boarding actions, missions & getting laid by hookers (I really do thought she was my mission contact!).

My overall first impression is I need more impressions after a rough start. I feel a bit silly that after naming my char "Maria Esteban" I got presented a (very short) back story of her being french.

Does anybody got the facial-feature adjustment sliders to work? I only could change the left side (age, skin, hair, etc) the right side with nose, chin, cheek and so on had no effect on the face no matter where I moved the sliders.

Are there any mods for B&G:C?
It`s a good game. Still a little buggy though. Graphics don`t seem much better than previous versions. I started as a retired officer male. Didn`t have a problem with the face creation sliders. Biggest disappointment is probably the ship cannon battles, but the actually ship-boarding is quite good. I enjoy visiting the tavern and playing cards, cheating and getting caught is actually quite fun as the whole tavern breaks out into a major fight with tables and chairs and you`re banned for a while.

Oh yea and don`t start as a poor person unless you want a very hard game. starting as a retired Ofiicer is easier. that said, the game can still punish you, especially if you play iron-man mode as i`ve been caught and made a slave several times and if you try to escape and fail they will sometimes hamstring you meaning you lose 1 strength or agility permanantly. Not as real as reality, but real enough!

A bug exists in the cotton fields when you are captured that sometimes guards will keep attacking each other!

I wrote a whole review on this, but as usual GOG is not showing any other reviews except the first one.

theGhostChili: I'd like to try it out, but the damn thing won't launch. The system requirements are met, and I have reinstalled it a few times and everything seems to be in order, but when I click the "PLAY" button on Galaxy, nothing happens. It seems to be running in the background though, but it's not showing on task manager etc. I have also tried launching it from the folder. I've never had any problems with GOG games before. Any ideas what might cause it?
Just asking in case, but are you running it in Windows 64 bit?
Post edited December 14, 2015 by Socratatus
Ixamyakxim: Is there any on land questing / open world exploration (as in Pirates of the Caribbean / Sea Dogs 2) - or is the extent of land based interaction roaming a town to buy / build and the land battles (I'm guessing on "setpiece" maps).
anothername: After all the talk yesterday I sneak-peeked into it. I don't know SD2 (but I would love too, come on gog ;) )but if its anything like Oblivion then no. You navigate on a isometric map. The third person "adventuring" is restricted to said setpiece maps when visiting towns (optional, can do most if not all trade from the port map), ship boarding actions, missions & getting laid by hookers (I really do thought she was my mission contact!).
Awesome thanks! I too wish SD2 / PoTC would end up here. It represents the pinnacle (ha ha see what I did there ;) ) of pirate RPGs for me and despite some rough edges one of my favorite games.

I've *heard* there were even a few later Sea Dogs releases (after PoTC) and I really, REALLY want them to end up here someday (assuming they really exist). I don't understand how games like this don't get made more often. Caribbean looks close to what I'm hoping for (I love the detailed character creation and various stats / abilities shown in the screenshots) but I'm always missing the ability to arrive at an island and disembark to do a few quests / hunt treasure / find some new gear, etc. It doesn't even have to be an enormous space or the size of a true open world - some forest paths, a beach here and there and a gorgeous waterfall would make me happy.
Ixamyakxim: I've *heard* there were even a few later Sea Dogs releases (after PoTC) and I really, REALLY want them to end up here someday (assuming they really exist).
They do exist.

Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales
Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships
Post edited December 14, 2015 by Grargar