It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Play the classic board game adaptation with friends, challenge the world’s top players, or go solo vs. AI. Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available on GOG.COM along with a 30% discount that will fade away on 29th October 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Note: The game does not require an internet connection to run if you wish to play in a single-player mode.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Matruchus: But what is the reason for missing Linux build on gog.com?
My guess would be Galaxy required for multiplayer. If that's the case, you can blame gog for that one.
ussnorway: p.s, another clueless discord server using 2 stage = open your discord app first then press the "join server" buttion and paste https://discord.gg/JkmEVVn into the box to bypass their fucking phone required bullshit
Clueless is every discord room. Discord is a terrible place, worse than forums in every way.
GOG.com: Play the classic board game adaptation with friends, challenge the world’s top players, or go solo vs. AI. Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available on GOG.COM along with a 30% discount that will fade away on 29th October 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Note: The game does not require an internet connection to run if you wish to play in a single-player mode.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Hey, just fyi, most of the text is in italics. I don't think that's right
the game runs inside a web browser window [prob why not on Linux] and you will get asked to make an account before picking online or solo (username and email)... its basic board game with disc rolling for combat so I'm fine with that but just so you know what to expect

I played online against a human and solo against the computer, both times as German... both got my ass kicked ;)

Discord asking for phone numbers is down to their tracking server trying to find where you live and has nothing to do with Discord rules... its just the moron setting the server account up ticked that box because they assume 2 stage works everywhere the same as it does in the US so places like Australia which don't have the same network rules will be asked every time they use a web browser
ussnorway: I played online against a human and solo against the computer, both times as German... both got my ass kicked ;)
This is a common complaint of the boardgame that this is based on.
It is horribly imbalanced in favor of the allies; if albeit historically accurate in that account.

Imagine if all it took was a basic understanding of the mechanics to have Germany win even half the time lol.
Yeah that's why these games fail.
Should of been 'Bolt Action'; a far superior game.
low rated
I love how I never got a response from anybody to my question.

Still trying to figure out if this was supposed to be a video game that went Free to Play (F2P) full of microtransactions.

I guess it is not going Free to Play (F2P) anymore and will remain a paid video game?
Beware Beamdog's deceptive marketing! The game does not actually follow the official gameplay rules of the board game - it "adapts" them. Defenders can't pick causalities, and you can't board allied transport units, among other major changes. Refer to the game's official FAQ/ for the full list of changes.

Also, it sounds like you're forced to use Beamdog's servers for online multiplayer, so if they go down you won't be able to play online anymore... unless you count playing hot-seat mode through a remote desktop connection, which would be far from ideal.
low rated
SmashManiac: Beware Beamdog's deceptive marketing! The game does not actually follow the official gameplay rules of the board game - it "adapts" them. Defenders can't pick causalities, and you can't board allied transport units, among other major changes. Refer to the game's official FAQ/ for the full list of changes.

Also, it sounds like you're forced to use Beamdog's servers for online multiplayer, so if they go down you won't be able to play online anymore... unless you count playing hot-seat mode through a remote desktop connection, which would be far from ideal.
picking casualties is the stupidest idea ever made at least for this base game
You have control over what the casualties will be via Defence Profiles. This is a tactical aspect to accommodate for smoother online play. You don't need all the players to be present to take turns in turn-based gameplay.

I don't know where the rumour about a F2P game came from, sorry.
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: So it’s another Absolver type thing then. The game is clearly meant to be an online only game, with a “casual versus ai offline for training”. The veil has well and truly fallen from your face my dear GOG.
PixelBoy: It is indeed a bit challenging to understand that a game that has "Online" in its title is said to work offline.
I'm not familiar enough with this game to know whether there is any significant difference between online and offline modes.

But online game doesn't necessarily mean DRM. If the game allows online connectivity between any IP addresses, and doesn't require any central server, it would be an online game but also DRM-free.

I think the network version of Civilization, CivNet, worked just like that. There wasn't any servers for it, but the game was modified to allow P2P network playing. It also ran perfectly as an offline single-player game.

So it is possible to have online games with no DRM and fully working offline modes. Whether anything like that is the case here, I don't know.
It’s not going to use open online play though is it.

I believe that mentioning its online only and getting downvoted for it really shows where gog is now. Totally abstracted from anything it once was.
ussnorway: the game runs inside a web browser window [prob why not on Linux] and you will get asked to make an account before picking online or solo (username and email)... its basic board game with disc rolling for combat so I'm fine with that but just so you know what to expect

I played online against a human and solo against the computer, both times as German... both got my ass kicked ;)

Discord asking for phone numbers is down to their tracking server trying to find where you live and has nothing to do with Discord rules... its just the moron setting the server account up ticked that box because they assume 2 stage works everywhere the same as it does in the US so places like Australia which don't have the same network rules will be asked every time they use a web browser
So even the solo player needs an account setup to play is that correct? As the gog notice states:
“ Internet connection is required for online multiplayer only. Single-player and Hot Seat modes can be played while offline.”
Post edited October 23, 2021 by nightcraw1er.488
ussnorway: the game runs inside a web browser window [prob why not on Linux] and you will get asked to make an account before picking online or solo (username and email)...
I tried the game while offline and without Galaxy and it just started in offline mode without asking me anything. I guess it asks you to create an account because you were online with Galaxy running.
juliusborisov: You have control over what the casualties will be via Defence Profiles. This is a tactical aspect to accommodate for smoother online play. You don't need all the players to be present to take turns in turn-based gameplay.

I don't know where the rumour about a F2P game came from, sorry.
Hello.

Can you tell us - why this game is 'Early access' on steam but not 'in dev' here ?
Somebody forgot to place 'in dev' flag ? =)
GOG.com: Release: Axis & Allies 1942 Online
This board game fits your screen AND your busy schedule.
Great for new players— no setup or cleanup required!
Yeah, ecaxtly what always kept me from buying the board game.
The space and time needed to setup and play the darn thing (and the clean up afterwards). ;)
@nightcraw1er.488 with out internet the game will only boot into off line mode and you can play solo or hotseat in that mode yes

it also allows tutorial

@Gersen I don't play the off line installers so can't test but do you have cloud sync?
Gog tracks your time played and your save games... I assume Beamdog tracks your wins for ranking but have not tested that as I don't really care about it

@MaceyNeil imo a 50 - 50 chance is not the point but more a "what if" I was in command instead of Hilter?
could I win as allies with twice the men doesn't really worry me but this is a small [1G] game that lets me take a trip down memory lane to the old board game days

p.s, if you guys do decide to play off line you will have to go into the games options when you turn your internet back on... just so you know
Post edited October 23, 2021 by ussnorway
I used to play this board game when I was younger, and would check this out if the price was right. Obviously I know that this has an online component to it so I would not pay full or even half price but glad that its available anyways.
Post edited October 23, 2021 by Greywolf234