It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Some mushrooms are deadlier than others.

ATOM RPG: Post-apocalyptic indie game, a love letter to the classic Fallouts, is now available DRM-free.

After nearly wiping each other out with nuclear bombs in 1986, the Soviet Union and the Western Bloc are scraping by in the wasteland. Now someone is out to finish the job. While scrounging up a living for yourself, engaging in turn-based combat and stat-based gameplay, you will make fateful choices and explore the Soviet wasteland for answers.
Just wanted to chime in and THANK YOU for getting this here GOG. I bought it the second I saw it here a couple of days ago and am liking it much so far. I'm not going to say it's as good as Fallout 1/2 (that would be complete BS in addition to being heresay) but it's not bad. Not bad at all. Or as my daddy used to say.. "that's not to shabby at all."

Thank you again for bringing it here. Much rather have it here than that other... place.... Thanks.
SoMuchATOM:
fr33kSh0w2012: Or... Wait for it... you start off with only fists you have to find weapon pieces throughout the game hidden in very hard to reach locations, first one you could get is a kitchen knife which could be easy to get right up to a Chainsaws which you have to scavenge for parts Killer Idea huh!

Making guns out of household things... LOL even Motorbikes make them out of pieces you could scavenge
gamesfreak64: free roaming and many enemies to do away with ?
fallout tactics has it and thats why it got lower ratings then fallout 1 + 2
but wathcing the movies it looks ist clearly aiming for a fallout approach ( minus the new engine to rotat and zoom / 3d which is the main reason for me not to buy it)note that i am clearly replying that i dont think the game is bad i dont call it a bad game either. to avoid miscommunication and getting tons of - button presses
i only have remarks about the engine used ( the scrolling zooming rotating) NOT the game, cause that is very good .

Anyway maybe someday a real clone will comeout and look like classic fallout with same graphics but improved, sharper and hihger resolution perhaps, but to me the classics rule over any remake/ lookalike.
That will be an instabuy.
fr33kSh0w2012: Do you have the classic fallout 1 and 2? Cause I know of a place you can get the Mods for it.

Fallout Fixt
I have both and tactics aswell... thanks for the reply and link, yes i am aware of the mods, i discoevred some mods very early, problem is i always fear they might mess up my configuration and f1 +2 and tactics work a charm with no bugs on my 64 bit win7, i also have ja2 games classics seems they have a zombie shootou 'mod' thing is the game looks different , i see some croshair and aiming icons i cant rememebr seeing in the classic Ja2 games.
dtgreene: Personally, I think the best way to deal with the need to start with a weapon is to give the player some weak weapon, not strings attached, and dispense with the intro. Wasteland does this, for example; every character starts out with a clip pistol (the weakest type of firearm in the game); this allows the player to start with a weapon (and is nice for players who prefer to use firearms, though that isn't the best strategy in the early game of Wasteland), but doesn't break the game right away.

Having the player start with a weapon does not mean having to start the player with an AK-47 (assuming such weapon is powerful in the context of the game).
SoMuchATOM: We were playing around with what you suggest, but decided not to do this, since even though you're playing as a junior cadet, you are still a member of a military organization, that can give out good equipment. Plus, your mission is very important. So, why would they give you a cheap and weak firearm? This is the question we asked ourselves, and that's how we decided to go with the cliche robbery scenario.
Sorry to disturb you but...i don't understand your discussion.
I bought Atom yeasterday and started playing asap and during the prolouge it is possible to catch the AK (it's leaning at the trunk some steps away) and use it to fight the robbers. It took me several trys but finally i made it.
Because ammo is so rare i use it only on difficult encounters and my mainweapon are the spiked club and a selfmade revoler..still...it felt really good to bet them and keep the Ak as a emergency weapon.
SoMuchATOM: We were playing around with what you suggest, but decided not to do this, since even though you're playing as a junior cadet, you are still a member of a military organization, that can give out good equipment. Plus, your mission is very important. So, why would they give you a cheap and weak firearm? This is the question we asked ourselves, and that's how we decided to go with the cliche robbery scenario.
DF1871: Sorry to disturb you but...i don't understand your discussion.
I bought Atom yeasterday and started playing asap and during the prolouge it is possible to catch the AK (it's leaning at the trunk some steps away) and use it to fight the robbers. It took me several trys but finally i made it.
Because ammo is so rare i use it only on difficult encounters and my mainweapon are the spiked club and a selfmade revoler..still...it felt really good to bet them and keep the Ak as a emergency weapon.
You actually beat them?.. But they are made to be unbeatable lol! Well... What can I say. You're awesome, I guess!
high rated
DF1871: Sorry to disturb you but...i don't understand your discussion.
SoMuchATOM: You actually beat them?.. But they are made to be unbeatable lol!
Please don't patch this, it's really fun when a player can (with difficulty) go against the designer's will or expectations...
SoMuchATOM: You actually beat them?.. But they are made to be unbeatable lol!
Telika: Please don't patch this, it's really fun when a player can (with difficulty) go against the designer's will or expectations...
We'll have to, but not for that reason. I think its pretty awesome when a player goes against the rules without even using a bug, just his own skill and enginuity. It's just that so many people hate our current intro, the guys voted on changing it in the next couple of updates. Honestly, every other bad review our game gets is from some guy who got offended because he could not kill those guys and lost his AK :( So we're adding changes to the intro, it's gonna be a different setting with a different plot.
OldFatGuy: Just wanted to chime in and THANK YOU for getting this here GOG. I bought it the second I saw it here a couple of days ago and am liking it much so far. I'm not going to say it's as good as Fallout 1/2 (that would be complete BS in addition to being heresay) but it's not bad. Not bad at all. Or as my daddy used to say.. "that's not to shabby at all."

Thank you again for bringing it here. Much rather have it here than that other... place.... Thanks.
Sorry for missing your post before. You're welcome, my friend! Thank you for the kind words and for playing!
Post edited January 30, 2019 by SoMuchATOM
Telika: Please don't patch this, it's really fun when a player can (with difficulty) go against the designer's will or expectations...
SoMuchATOM: We'll have to, but not for that reason. I think its pretty awesome when a player goes against the rules without even using a bug, just his own skill and enginuity. It's just that so many people hate our current intro, the guys voted on changing it in the next couple of updates. Honestly, every other bad review our game gets is from some guy who got offended because he could not kill those guys and lost his AK :( So we're adding changes to the intro, it's gonna be a different setting with a different plot.
Oh no !

I haven't bought the game yet (I had some spectacular expenses lately, so, I slow down a bit on videogames buying), but I intended to. And I liked very much what I gathered of that intro through this thread. Not because it can be overcome (this is the icing on the cake), but because I find it a fun and clever way to set your char in a low state. It reminds me of the introduction of "Beyond Thunderdome". I'm very in favor of that idea, and I'm sorry if it gets removed - especially if it's just because the game dares to rob gamers of their power fantasy during 30 seconds.

No way to salvage it ?
Post edited January 30, 2019 by Telika
SoMuchATOM: We'll have to, but not for that reason. I think its pretty awesome when a player goes against the rules without even using a bug, just his own skill and enginuity. It's just that so many people hate our current intro, the guys voted on changing it in the next couple of updates. Honestly, every other bad review our game gets is from some guy who got offended because he could not kill those guys and lost his AK :( So we're adding changes to the intro, it's gonna be a different setting with a different plot.
Telika: Oh no !

I haven't bought the game yet (I had some spectacular expenses lately, so, I slow down a bit on videogames buying), but I intended to. And I liked very much what I gathered of that intro through this thread. Not because it can be overcome (this is the icing on the cake), but because I find it a fun and clever way to set your char in a low state. It reminds me of the introduction of "Beyond Thunderdome". I'm very in favor of that idea, and I'm sorry if it gets removed - especially if it's just because the game dares to rob gamers of their power fantasy during 30 seconds.

No way to salvage it ?
The way to salvage it is imperfect and only available for sure to first-time buyers who got in before the update. This is one of the many benefits of DRM-free offline installers, in that you can get around the pervasive "update culture" by buying initially and simply not updating, if you so choose. The trick is that you have to get the game right away, or else it may be too late (game will be updated to newer version and you won't be able to download the old one).

What would really be a gamechanger for power users, like the ones on this site, albeit not the ones that GOG seems to want to attract with the new layout/profiles/achievements, would be to have an archive of patches so that users could choose which version they want to play. I am very glad I got ATOM right away and it is awesome!! But personally I am dismayed at the general trend of developers patching games because users don't like certain parts, find things too difficult, et cetera. Being a person with many minority opinions, on a minority gaming site, I would rather choose for myself :)
Telika: Oh no !

No way to salvage it ?
rjbuffchix: The way to salvage it is imperfect and only available for sure to first-time buyers who got in before the update. This is one of the many benefits of DRM-free offline installers, in that you can get around the pervasive "update culture" by buying initially and simply not updating, if you so choose. The trick is that you have to get the game right away, or else it may be too late (game will be updated to newer version and you won't be able to download the old one).

What would really be a gamechanger for power users, like the ones on this site, albeit not the ones that GOG seems to want to attract with the new layout/profiles/achievements, would be to have an archive of patches so that users could choose which version they want to play. I am very glad I got ATOM right away and it is awesome!! But personally I am dismayed at the general trend of developers patching games because users don't like certain parts, find things too difficult, et cetera. Being a person with many minority opinions, on a minority gaming site, I would rather choose for myself :)
Yeah, I do think that patches and updates shouldn't touch plot points. All I know of ME3 is that its ending is supposedly terrible, but I'd like to play it instead of the version changed after the outrage. I also dislike the fact that Portal's ending has been changed to introduce the sequel. I dislike such changes as much as I'd dislike them in movies or books.

And I know that ideally I should spend the money right now in order to secure an original copy (as I did for Chuchel), but I'm pretty sure the patch would bring legitimate fixes, as is often the case for complex RPGs (whereas I don't think that further patches would really have had much to "repair" in Chuchel). So, I would probably have to sacrifice useful tweaks. I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

Really, I'm a bit pissed at the complaining players now. Not to mention that I suspect a portion of them would be already screaming about "artistic integrity" if the change pertained to minorities representation or stuff like that (and noisily "boycot" the devs who "caved in" and yadda yadda) - but that's another story.

I'm just happy the old Sierra-on-line adventures have been made long ago. Imagine the sea of pitchforks at every little vexation...
Dude, seriously, don't make decisions based on bad reviews. People who like the game are not nearly as inclined to leave a good review, much less point out what they like, so if you go by reviews you'll always get a distorted picture.

The guys who made Chaos Reborn made a non-RNG mode based on negative feedback and nobody plays it, it didn't save their game, ended up being a waste of time. Had they focused on improving and expanding instead of "fixing", they would have a better product in the end.

It's impossible to please everybody. Some of the greatest games of our time have a ridiculously high number of negative reviews. On the other hand, games nobody gives a shit about don't have many negative reviews. Negative reviews are not necessarily a bad thing, you have to look at it in perspective and with context in mind.
What the last couple posts said.

The intro like it's playing out right now is fine as it is, no changes needed whatsoever.
Some people complaining because they were denied their fix of instant gratification (as in being able to just mow down the robbers Rambo-style) shouldn't even be acknowledged.
rjbuffchix: The way to salvage it is imperfect and only available for sure to first-time buyers who got in before the update. This is one of the many benefits of DRM-free offline installers, in that you can get around the pervasive "update culture" by buying initially and simply not updating, if you so choose. The trick is that you have to get the game right away, or else it may be too late (game will be updated to newer version and you won't be able to download the old one).
Actually, if you use Galaxy, you have a rollback feature, so it's possible to go back to previous versions. But yes, I would welcome an "installer archive" where you could get all the old versions of the offline-installers. Of course with the warnings "Unsupported" and "Use at your own risk" since it can't reasonably expected of GOG to support but the latest version of a game.
toxicTom: Actually, if you use Galaxy, you have a rollback feature, so it's possible to go back to previous versions. But yes, I would welcome an "installer archive" where you could get all the old versions of the offline-installers. Of course with the warnings "Unsupported" and "Use at your own risk" since it can't reasonably expected of GOG to support but the latest version of a game.
That would be nice. However it would require GOG to maintain the changelogs, which currently seem to be completely random.
To stick to ATOM RPG, yesterday's update had a changelog, today's doesn't.

I probably start playing this game this week(end), so I have no idea about the intro. Since it might be replaced, I'll refrain from updating my currently installed version.
HertogJan: To stick to ATOM RPG, yesterday's update had a changelog, today's doesn't.
I think the changelog was posted a day earlier than the actual update. I downloaded yesterday and got v1.072 even though the changelog said v1.073.

I re-downloaded today and got the v1.073.
Swedrami: The intro like it's playing out right now is fine as it is, no changes needed whatsoever.
Some people complaining because they were denied their fix of instant gratification (as in being able to just mow down the robbers Rambo-style) shouldn't even be acknowledged.
I haven't actually complained about the intro yet myself, but what I don't like about it is the false choice. I wouldn't have cared if they had just made it a cutscene, but giving me the conversation options (including skill checks), and if combat actually ensues, making it impossible (or so I thought) for me to obtain a weapon was crap. Who the hell rests in an obvious place with no protection in a dangerous wasteland like that, anyway? Where are the traps? Why wasn't the weapon within arm's reach to begin with? A really poor start (first impression) to a game that otherwise seems decent. I sure hope there aren't any other unwinnable fights with false choices later on in the game (I'm too occupied with other stuff to play this game right now to find out).