It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

India's Indie Hack 'n' Slashing

<span class="bold">Asura</span>, a top-down hack 'n' slash inspired by Indian mythology, is available now DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

Ogre Head Studio, the team behind Asura, is a budding indie developer based in India – it's no wonder then, that their first game is filled to the brim with cultural inspirations and themes from the region: from the plot, through the sounds and designs. Aside from its seldom explored inspirations, Asura thrives on its varied arsenal and an ever-changing character skill tree brought together in a randomly generated roguelike experience.

The 10% launch discount will last until Friday, April 21, 7:00 AM UTC.
ValamirCleaver: Thank you for that link. I was very interested in this game because it's obviously based on Reg Vedic Hinduism & Indian sub-continental culture, but I wanted more information on the control scheme. I started reading that article & saw "controller" mentioned several times. If a PC game is optimized to use a controller then it usually means that I won't like the control scheme & I probably won't be able to rebind the controls the way I would prefer (like Torchlight 1 & 2 or NWN1). I'm not going to waste $9 on a game that is going to frustrate me with its controls scheme and as a result I probably won't play much. To the wishlist it goes until it drops well below my normal price threshold; if I have to wait a couple or few years for a deep discount sale, so be it.
I hear what you are saying. When I started playing I realized there were some players who Controller recommended would be a deal breaker. I tried stressing it in the review as politely as possible. It was a clear design choice by the devs, and I think it paid off. I just can't imagine playing with a keyboard comfortably.

While I loved the game, I'm glad to hear the article helped you make an informed choice.
Mordaith: While I loved the game, I'm glad to hear the article helped you make an informed choice.
I appreciate you making the it obvious in your article that the game is optimized for a game pad controller.

I understand that this is often done so as to make it easier for developers to target both PCs & consoles. I just wish developers would make it easier for players to easily remap any & all the control bindings to either any keyboard and/or mouse/trackball/HID input. I've regretted purchasing too many games where I'm forced to use a game pad or to use keyboard (i.e. WASD keys) for movement & mouse for camera control and as a result of this I don't play because it frustrates me. I've gotten too used to using the mouse for movement, interactions, targeting & the keyboard for camera movement, field of view. I guess it had something to do with me playing Diablo 1 & 2, the Infinity Engine games, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Torchlight 1 & 2, etc... and avoiding 1st person shooters because the genre doesn't interest me.

Again I thank you for your informative review.
For a moment, I thought it was a news release for a PC port of Asura's Wrath. :(
Lifthrasil: Hmm.
Procedurally generated - check (even the skill tree ... no thanks!)
"Rogue like" - check ...

definitely not my cup of tea. I loved Rogue and Nethack, but nowadays rogue-like has become a catch-all PR term that means: "We couldn't be bothered to do level design or balancing." So I give most games that call themselves rogue-like a wide berth.
It's a Diablo-like. Diablo was pretty much the original Roguelike-like. If there's any subgenre of games where the procedural generation of levels, loot and such is "grandfathered in", it's hack-'n'-slash ARPGs. ;)
If only the gameplay didn't look so generic and bland. My decreasing interest in ARPGs/hack'n'slashes doesn't help either.
SmashManiac: For a moment, I thought it was a news release for a PC port of Asura's Wrath. :(
This title instantly captured my attention because of PS3's Asura's Wrath which I liked quite a lot, but I didn't believe for even a second that it could be a port. :) Rather, I was thinking about some kind of related game: a prequel, a sequel, or an alternative story.

Apparently it's unrelated, but the spirit of this game seems to be close to Asura's Wrath, which makes it interesting.
Post edited April 14, 2017 by pvgoran
ValamirCleaver: I just wish developers would make it easier for players to easily remap any & all the control bindings to either any keyboard and/or mouse/trackball/HID input.
Same here. I am shocked every time when a game of the 21st century doesn't have completely customizable controls.

That said, does anyone here know to which extend Asura's controls are customizable?

What exactly makes game controllers the best method to play it?
Has anyone tried this game with an Xbox 360 controller? Which game engine does it use?
So hang on, CAN you play this game with WASD keyboard controls ala. Victor Vran or Forced Showdown? Or is it just click to move?
V4V: Same here. I am shocked every time when a game of the 21st century doesn't have completely customizable controls. That said, does anyone here know to which extend Asura's controls are customizable? What exactly makes game controllers the best method to play it?
MischiefMaker: So hang on, CAN you play this game with WASD keyboard controls ala. Victor Vran or Forced Showdown? Or is it just click to move?
This is exactly what I would like to know. Can the controls be remapped to use mouse click to move & target? If yes, I'll buy the game right now. If not; the games stays on my wishlist until a deep discount of 75%+. I don't feel like wasting $9 on a game that will most likely frustrate me with it's controller settings.
Post edited April 15, 2017 by ValamirCleaver