It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

India's Indie Hack 'n' Slashing

<span class="bold">Asura</span>, a top-down hack 'n' slash inspired by Indian mythology, is available now DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

Ogre Head Studio, the team behind Asura, is a budding indie developer based in India – it's no wonder then, that their first game is filled to the brim with cultural inspirations and themes from the region: from the plot, through the sounds and designs. Aside from its seldom explored inspirations, Asura thrives on its varied arsenal and an ever-changing character skill tree brought together in a randomly generated roguelike experience.

The 10% launch discount will last until Friday, April 21, 7:00 AM UTC.
Look very solid and the sys. requirements aren't so high. Thanks for the release.
Doesn't seem like the 10% launch discount is working at the moment.

[EDIT] There it is. Discount is now showing up.
Post edited April 14, 2017 by tremere110
Looks like an interesting game with a nice use of the Developers culture. Wish listed for now as it looks like something my son would enjoy.
If there were not this now-fashionable flashy graphics, I'd buy without any doubt. But as it is, it looks too smartphone-y and tablet-y for me. And smartphone-y games are dull, empty and oligophrenically dumb. Sooo... no.
tremere110: Doesn't seem like the 10% launch discount is working at the moment.
Should be working now, if not, give it a minute or two :)
Looks interesting. Time to see some gameplay.
This looks interesting. Does anyone know how the controls are mapped? Are the control system the same as for Torchlight 1 & 2, mouse point & click to where you want to move?
https://oldmanmordaith.com/2017/04/13/themed-on-indian-mythology-asura-hits-like-divine-retribution/
amrit9037: Looks interesting. Time to see some gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc0s8K3L8EA
Post edited April 14, 2017 by Painted_Doll
GOG.com: a top-down hack 'n' slash inspired by Indian mythology
Upon reading this I was like "YEAH!" then I checked the game card and some gameplay video and I ended up like "Meh"..... :(

I think the game is too westernized for my tastes, it feels like a casual reskin. It's even more dissapointing as the developer is based in Hyderabad. A good example are the color tones of the levels which are dominated by only one color (blue, yellow, etc....) while in Telugu movies, it's a color festival and I think it would have been a better artistic direction than this dull western color scheme.

I don't know if the devs are gonna read this thread, but some point 'n' clicks based on classic tales like the Ramayana would be a better option to convey some cultural differences and get an instant "unique product" on the videogame market.
Thank you for that link. I was very interested in this game because it's obviously based on Reg Vedic Hinduism & Indian sub-continental culture, but I wanted more information on the control scheme. I started reading that article & saw "controller" mentioned several times. If a PC game is optimized to use a controller then it usually means that I won't like the control scheme & I probably won't be able to rebind the controls the way I would prefer (like Torchlight 1 & 2 or NWN1). I'm not going to waste $9 on a game that is going to frustrate me with its controls scheme and as a result I probably won't play much. To the wishlist it goes until it drops well below my normal price threshold; if I have to wait a couple or few years for a deep discount sale, so be it.
I can't believe it!!! A new ip that isn't overcharging for admission and doesn't require the starship enterprise to run it. I am deeply impressed!
catpower1980: I don't know if the devs are gonna read this thread, but some point 'n' clicks based on classic tales like the Ramayana would be a better option to convey some cultural differences and get an instant "unique product" on the videogame market.
Holy crap! I was thinking exactly this.
I wanted to give it a try because it's inspired from Hindu mythology.
Yeah, there is no such thing as Indian Mythology. These character are based on Hindu Mythology which is spread in many parts of south east Asia.

Yeah colour tone is monotonous. It could have been vibrant. Aleast few light effects and blur effects could have been introduced.

I also planned to make a RTS/RPG based on Hindu mythology but I am not talented enough.
Even thought about making a Civilization III mod based on it.
I just finished a looooong ARPG but it looks like I may have to get this.

I myself am working on a similar game based on Buddhist mythology. You can't kill any of your enemies; you win the game by making all of them feel at one with the universe.
Post edited April 14, 2017 by tinyE
Hmm.
Procedurally generated - check (even the skill tree ... no thanks!)
"Rogue like" - check ...

definitely not my cup of tea. I loved Rogue and Nethack, but nowadays rogue-like has become a catch-all PR term that means: "We couldn't be bothered to do level design or balancing." So I give most games that call themselves rogue-like a wide berth.