It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Take control of a team of highly trained fighter pilots and experience an epic story in the dark underwater world. Aquanox Deep Descent is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 10% discount lasting until 23rd October 2020, 6 PM UTC. In the near future, the Earth's surface has become uninhabitable. What remains of humankind lives below the surface of the sea, in a loose network of underwater settlements. In this inhospitable world, you must join the war for resources and dominance.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
greyhat: So, everyone can start focusing on the actual game now. :)
Mr_GeO: I just tried a Steam version (not mine) for an hour or so and to be frank it does not look good...
Primo: the kb+m controls are horrendous. OK, I was playing it on someone else PC, so part of this could be attributed to different mouse setings and so on, but even with this taking into account it was still like trying to drive a brick through the tank full of treacle. Maybe it's better with the controler, but I seriously doubt it - it feel really, really bad.
Secundo: AI controlled units (both friends and foes) are going full retard waaaay too often. I don't mind a small glitches now and then, but things like trying to continuously ram the hill for 20 minutes, while trying to go from point A to B with aforementioned hill in the way or going into mexican standoff every time when encountering the enemy is a bit too much.
Tertio: during the campaign the "level" or rather battlefield construction is full of blockades/walls/forcefields that are restricting your movements to rather small area. While I can see logic behind it - it was done to make sure that you went the right way to progress - I can't shake the feeling that the way it was done is a worst possible one. Adding the borked controls to it, and it feel like realy badly made shooter on rails...

So, despite being a real sucker for underwater sim with shooting, I decided that I'll pass this title and wait for the big discount or serious patch, because right now I don't fell like it's worth the price tag slapped on it. :(
Hi Mr_Geo

thanks for the feedback, very interesting to hear from actual gameplay.

I have not played this yet so it is appreciated. I am waiting for a couple of clarifications on this game before buying (none of which involve your mini-review).

I realise it might not be your cup of tea, but I feel I must point out that in the previous versions, there was always a bit of what you may call "wallowing" due to the nature of moving through water. It was never meant to be instantaneous.
Of course this did improve as you advanced through previous games as you had access to faster ships etc.

I would urge people not to be put off by this feature. Of course with no real time play of my own, I cant comment on the ai. However the path/geography sounds very similar to previous titles.

Mr_Geo, I do not know if you have played the first two installments. I got the original Aquanox as a tech demo for an extremely old geforce card many years ago and it was a fantastic game. The skirmish mode in itself was amazing. I hope a skirmish mode is included in this release. Anyway, I am not recommending that you try the original as it very similar to the concerns you have raised but sounds very true to the original for fans. Also, the first game is a bit of a pain to map keys on modern systems.

Anyway, I hope to hear back soon from the devs as to whether or not I can buy this game direct. Long and short to other readers, do not be too put off. If it maintains the same mechanics as the other two releases and you enjoyed them, hopefully you will enjoy this too.

I hope so myself, even though I have not yet played it.
The original Aquanox was a bad copy of Archimedian Dynasty, so that makes this a bad copy of a bad copy?
low rated
kmanitou: You don't like my review?
I copy/pasted part of the description of the game and gave it two stars, and I don't even own the game.

GOG reviews are such a joke.
zeffyr: Why did you even do that for? For trolling purposes? Shame on you.
Try to focus.
Dear THQ Nordic, if developers will make the Linux version (which they said is a possibility), don't ignore GOG users please like you did with Desperados 3!
They should have called it any other way other than extended ending and no one would have been bothered. Really a bad idea, all reviews are rubbish too. Still it can't be worse that driving the submarine in Conarium.
https://youtu.be/nqYotVpH9RY?t=641
Post edited October 18, 2020 by Dogmaus
high rated
No surprise really, if the devs can't properly describe what their DLC is about and instead calls it a "extended ending" then i'm not surprised at all that they can't make a competent game, it's such a shame.
Post edited October 18, 2020 by ChrisGamer300
ChrisGamer300: No surprise really, if the devs can't properly describe what their DLC is about and instead calls it a "extended ending" then i'm not surprised at all that they can't make a competent game, it's such a shame.
Made me lol, but good point.
kmanitou: You don't like my review?
I copy/pasted part of the description of the game and gave it two stars, and I don't even own the game.

GOG reviews are such a joke.
While I get why you'd feel that way, how long have you people been begging gog to have review moderation and the ability to edit reviews? They don't care nor have they done anything. The only way gog is going to stop being lazy is if we bomb new releases with 1 star copy paste reviews to get their attention. Seriously, in a week we could change this. Pick a new game, bomb them with bad reviews, contact that game's developer to poke the hornet's nest, and let them scold gog for their garbage website. Or you could just keep boot licking and keep the same terrible review system intact.
Swissy88: While I get why you'd feel that way, how long have you people been begging gog to have review moderation and the ability to edit reviews? They don't care nor have they done anything. The only way gog is going to stop being lazy is if we bomb new releases with 1 star copy paste reviews to get their attention. Seriously, in a week we could change this. Pick a new game, bomb them with bad reviews, contact that game's developer to poke the hornet's nest, and let them scold gog for their garbage website. Or you could just keep boot licking and keep the same terrible review system intact.
Or we could all behave like sensible beings, all humans theoretically are, and actually write a normal, regular review, instead of troll-posting as if taken live from youtube comment section.
But sure, if you need to enlarge your e-penis, knock yourself out.
Swissy88: While I get why you'd feel that way, how long have you people been begging gog to have review moderation and the ability to edit reviews? They don't care nor have they done anything. The only way gog is going to stop being lazy is if we bomb new releases with 1 star copy paste reviews to get their attention. Seriously, in a week we could change this. Pick a new game, bomb them with bad reviews, contact that game's developer to poke the hornet's nest, and let them scold gog for their garbage website. Or you could just keep boot licking and keep the same terrible review system intact.
So you're one of the 1-star raters? Shame on you as well, you're ruining GOG experience, nothing more.
high rated
Swissy88: The only way gog is going to stop being lazy is if we bomb new releases with 1 star copy paste reviews to get their attention.
What will happen, instead, is that Gog won't change a thing as usual (sigh) and the only result you'll obtain is harming devs who will then abandom the platform.

You don't fight trolls by becoming one yourself..
Reviews of a video game should come from or be written exclusively by the owners of the video game who are those who have (presumably) already played the GOG version. And they should not come from random users who do nothing but write anything to get attention and add up to the GOG review counter. I agree that this kind of action causes great damage to the community (because many of us are guided to buy by the reviews) and to the developers (obviously because these things affect their sales within GOG's site). And of course to GOG who should take immediate action.
UCrest: Reviews of a video game should come from or be written exclusively by the owners of the video game who are those who have (presumably) already played the GOG version. And they should not come from random users who do nothing but write anything to get attention and add up to the GOG review counter. I agree that this kind of action causes great damage to the community (because many of us are guided to buy by the reviews) and to the developers (obviously because these things affect their sales within GOG's site). And of course to GOG who should take immediate action.
Some other developers are putting up misleading promo materials on their game pages so it isn't only the users doing it.
I like Archimedian Dynasty and mostly also the previous Aquanox games. But a DLC "coming soon" already on release and no Linux version doesn't motivate much to buy this sequel.
Post edited October 19, 2020 by eiii
zeffyr: So you're one of the 1-star raters? Shame on you as well, you're ruining GOG experience, nothing more.
Why isn't he entitled to his own opinion about the game?

UCrest: Reviews of a video game should come from or be written exclusively by the owners of the video game who are those who have (presumably) already played the GOG version.
That would help a lot, but there would still be a specific GOG problem for the reviews.

"I loved this as a child 32 years ago, THANK YOU GOG!"
Attachments:
aquanox.png (67 Kb)