It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Pioneering spirit lives on.

The Anno games are a strategy series that offer a mix of real time strategy, city building and business simulation - a pioneering adventure that throws you into a whole new world to conquer through wit and planning, not by the sword alone. Your own world! With Anno 1602 A.D. back on our PCs - we're ready to continue our quantum leap across the ages... You can get both of today's releases in a single Anno bundle at 40% off!

<span class="bold">Anno 1503 A.D.</span> again hands you your own ship with minimal provisions and leaves you to turn it into a bustling island nation, or to wither away trying. Scout out the perfect island to start your brave new colony (your very own Plymouth!), check for fertile lands and mineral-rich surroundings, then begin your conquest of nature and international relations whilst keeping your growing nation happy. While the core and soul of the game remains true to its predecessor, your startup nation has never looked better. The games comes complete with the "Treasures, Monsters & Pirates" expansion pack!

Jump forward two centuries, and though the world and technology have changed, the true pioneering spirit lives on in <span class="bold">Anno 1701 A.D.</span>: welcome to a bigger, better, more three dimensional world! The Anno series has always required a thirst for discovery - even as far as just learning the game itself. That's why Anno 1701 A.D. is out to ease you into its many facets. This time around you will be conquering the wild and tropical islands of the Caribbean, all the while juggling your relationships with pirate warlords and enterprising European nations. Expand your nation and possibilities with "The Sunken Dragon" expansion pack, featuring plenty of new content and a custom map editor which just happens to be about half the fun.

Exploration, trading, resource management, diplomacy - and combat, should you need it - the Pioneer's spirit lives on in the 40% Off <span class="bold">Anno 1503 A.D.</span> and <span class="bold">Anno 1701 A.D.</span> bundle. Available now, DRM-free on GOG.com, the launch discount will last for one week, until Wednesday, August 19, 12:59 PM GMT.
I really hope that 1404 comes to GOG. This is the game that introduced me to the Anno games. I have my original game + expansion from Direct2Drive, but I am worry it might lock up because of the stupid 3 activation limits of the TAGE DRM.

Now, I can say goodbye to many evenings and weekend playing 1503 and 1701 in the meanwhile.
I have no nostalgic feelings toward anno series. I had only played 2070 last year and found it charmless. Just did not click with me whatsoever.

Would like to try one of the older titles. which one out of three released would recommend. or should i wait for 1404?
Post edited August 13, 2015 by lukaszthegreat
trentonlf: Just my opinion, but 1503 is cheaper because of all the Anno games it's the one that most do not like (I have not tried Anno online).

If starting out I say go with 1602 vs 1503, or could just jump straight into 1701 (awesome game)

Here's a wikipedia article that will show you what was added to 1701
How do the past Anno games compare to the future ones?
gamesfreak64: ...
building large nations and all that in games is not really my thing, i do like towerdefense games, not that fpp and 3d rotating ones but the ones like roaming fortress. Also games like telepath tactics and defenders quest.
If you like Tower Defense games try Kingdom Rush -- had a lot of fun with that game.

Great game to play in short bursts of 20 to 30 minutes or so, if you just want to take a break from work. Plus it's 2D and has static single screen backgrounds without any scrolling, so that's a plus if you have trouble with motion sickness in games.
IronArcturus: How do the past Anno games compare to the future ones?
I have not played either of the future ones, I forget about them since they are futuristic and I prefer the older setting. I really enjoyed all of them up to 1404 except for 1503, but that is just me. I know a lot of people enjoyed 1503.
trentonlf: I have not played either of the future ones, I forget about them since they are futuristic and I prefer the older setting. I really enjoyed all of them up to 1404 except for 1503, but that is just me. I know a lot of people enjoyed 1503.
So it looks like the best one GOG has is 1701? Do you know if it has windowed mode for Windows 7?
trentonlf: I have not played either of the future ones, I forget about them since they are futuristic and I prefer the older setting. I really enjoyed all of them up to 1404 except for 1503, but that is just me. I know a lot of people enjoyed 1503.
IronArcturus: So it looks like the best one GOG has is 1701? Do you know if it has windowed mode for Windows 7?
in engine.ini change:

<ScreenFormat>0</>

to

<ScreenFormat>1</>
IronArcturus: So it looks like the best one GOG has is 1701? Do you know if it has windowed mode for Windows 7?
trentonlf: in engine.ini change:

<ScreenFormat>0</>

to

<ScreenFormat>1</>
Thanks for the info!
dgagnon99: I really hope that 1404 comes to GOG. This is the game that introduced me to the Anno games. I have my original game + expansion from Direct2Drive, but I am worry it might lock up because of the stupid 3 activation limits of the TAGE DRM.

Now, I can say goodbye to many evenings and weekend playing 1503 and 1701 in the meanwhile.
Tages was removed from this game a long time ago. Just install and run the updates.
Post edited August 13, 2015 by albinon05
gamesfreak64: ...
building large nations and all that in games is not really my thing, i do like towerdefense games, not that fpp and 3d rotating ones but the ones like roaming fortress. Also games like telepath tactics and defenders quest.
CharlesGrey: If you like Tower Defense games try Kingdom Rush -- had a lot of fun with that game.

Great game to play in short bursts of 20 to 30 minutes or so, if you just want to take a break from work. Plus it's 2D and has static single screen backgrounds without any scrolling, so that's a plus if you have trouble with motion sickness in games.
yup i really like towerdefense games, almost any type with the exception of the ones with the 3d engines/3d units that allow to rotate the screen and all that, those i never get (motionsickness)
i have kingdom rush on GOG, got it when i saw it. i have some other towerdefense games:

Royal Defense: Invisible Threat , Toy Defense, Toy Defense 2 Deluxe Edition, 300 dwarves,Roaming Fortress,Garden Rescue,Orczz

Admiral Nemo : this is a bit repetitive but fun nonetheless, its not a td game but , well its differnt dont know how to describe it but i liked it.

some other but also nice games i have: iBomber Defence Pacific

Heroes Rush: Tactics : weird game you have to see the demo or the videos to see what kinda game it is
Hunters Of The Dead: bad reviews but i got it at sale (steam i guess, it plays without the clinet after you have downloaded it so thats always nice)

Quest Run: also weird game you also have to see it to give it a proper name
Risen Dragons: more a casual game but it has some sort of td game in it.

The Binding of Isaac : since everyone talked about it in the forum i decided to get it while it was on sale, havent played it yet so i dont know if it has many flashes of light (photosensitivity) but since it was 1 buck, i doesnt matter if i cant play it :D

The Wall - Medieval Heroes : td game but more like a casual game where you gahther resources with 'farmers' to afford the upgrades of the towers, it got some bad reviews but i played demo and i liked it also have it now on retail cd (drm free)
Depends on who you ask :D For me, 1701 is the weakest of all Anno Games. 1503 and 1404 are the best and 1602 has the "first time" nostalgia bonus (less features, but a perfect flow) :)

The reason: For 1701, a new studio had to start again from scratch. So they decided to remove some of the features and do a very "basic" Anno they can build upon in the future. As a result, 1503 has a higher feature depth. Later, with 1404, they began to add new stuff to the 1701 basis what makes it a really awesome game.

But 1701 is still a good game, especially if you don't know Anno. It's easier to start with as 1503 is more complex and quite easy to lose if you don't know what you're doing.

And regarding the Age of Empires comparison: Think of Anno as an Age of Empires where the importance/ complexity of Economy and Fighting are inverted. So there are rts like military units and you need military ships to defend against pirates for example, but they are quite basic and you won't use them that often.
Post edited August 13, 2015 by Larnak
Damn, nice release, wishlisted for now.
guppy44: Thank you for the feedback. :)
trentonlf: Just my opinion, but 1503 is cheaper because of all the Anno games it's the one that most do not like (I have not tried Anno online).

If starting out I say go with 1602 vs 1503, or could just jump straight into 1701 (awesome game)

Here's a wikipedia article that will show you what was added to 1701
Thank you for your feedback as well. I guess I'm typically the kind of person to want to get all games in a series, but it's always nice to know a good jumping in point.

I've seen Anno 2070 pop up in a Steam sale recently which is what got me to notice this series in the first place. That one looks quite a bit different than these older releases.
Again with the DRM-free Ubisoft!

Insta-wish-listed :)
CharlesGrey: If you like Tower Defense games try Kingdom Rush -- had a lot of fun with that game.

gamesfreak64: yup i really like towerdefense games, almost any type with the exception of the ones with the 3d engines/3d units that allow to rotate the screen and all that, those i never get (motionsickness)
I didn't see Defender's Quest in your list. If you don't have it, I would highly recommend checking it out! It uses 2d graphics and has single screen maps that don't scroll, just like Kingdom Rush, so it shouldn't make you sick. It blends tower defense with RPG elements and I think it's pretty fantastic.