It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Join 3 unlikely heroes on a quest to save their world in a retro-styled JRPG with polish and personality, that focuses less on references and more on telling a story. 8-Bit Adventures 1: The Forgotten Journey Remastered Edition is now available on GOG.COM with a 60% discount that will fade away on 16th August 2021, at 1 PM UTC.

Itching for even more virtual journeys into the unknown? We have good news – 8-Bit Adventures 2 is coming soon to GOG.COM!

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
And bought. Looks more faithful to the original Final Fantasy games than the pixel remasters Squeenix just released.
Another fake "remaster" like the Eternal Castle. I almost fell for this one.
low rated
Looks interesting, but some questions:
* How is the gameplay:story ratio? Do I actually get to play the game most of the time, or are there annoying cutscenes or other story bits?
* Is the game strictly turn-based? If not, what parts of the game are not? (In particular, consider things like finding/avoiding encounters and minigames.)
* Are there any interesting systems for character growth or ability learning?
* How linear is the game? How difficult is it?
* How does 8-Bit Adventures 2, which is apparently coming soon here, compare? In particular, how would you answer these questions for 8-Bit Adventures 2?
Australian JRPG. Completionist is ~12 hours to beat.

Seeing reviews saying that it's a love letter to NES JRPGs and doesn't try to do anything more. By moral relativism, it'd be a top JRPG in the 1980s. Will take the plunge.
Post edited August 09, 2021 by MeowCanuck
Sniff. Sniff.

Is that Game Maker or RPGmaker I smell?
MeowCanuck: Australian JRPG. Completionist is ~12 hours to beat.

Seeing reviews saying that it's a love letter to NES JRPGs and doesn't try to do anything more. By moral relativism, it'd be a top JRPG in the 1980s. Will take the plunge.
Call me old fashioned, but I do like my JRPGs with a little more YM2413 or Konami's VRC7.
Post edited August 09, 2021 by Darvond
Incredibly generic name makes it nearly impossible to find information about this game.

Can't find the OST to listen to anywhere.

Can't find developer site either, another generic name, smfh.
Post edited August 09, 2021 by Swissy88
That looks hideous.

It completely fails at looking 8-bit with everything being a hodgepodge of assets with mismatched resolution (a huge fake-retro pet peeve of mine). I've said this to a few releases in the past, but this more than any jank GOG release before it, really looks like the kind of lazy flash game I might have played for free a decade ago on Newgrounds.

Stupid name too.
Post edited August 09, 2021 by ReynardFox
Darvond: Sniff. Sniff.

Is that Game Maker or RPGmaker I smell?
By the gameplay in the trailer, if it is made in either of these engines, it looks highly customized so it doesn't resemble what people usually expect from these engines.
ReynardFox: That looks hideous.

It completely fails at looking 8-bit with everything being a hodgepodge of assets with mismatched resolution (a huge fake-retro pet peeve of mine). I've said this to a few releases in the past, but this more than any jank GOG release before it, really looks like the kind of lazy flash game I might have played for free a decade ago on Newgrounds.

Stupid name too.
I haven't seen color contrast this harsh since people were limited to the 16 color fallback in Windows 3.11. You know, the ugly washed out mess of greys?
Could be fun. The sequel definitely looks to have a lot more polish.
Post edited August 09, 2021 by Mr.Mumbles
HEY LOOK! NOSTALGIA!!1!!1! IT'S LIKE THAT THING YOU REMEMBER!!1
Swissy88: Can't find developer site either, another generic name, smfh.
I've already linked it above: https://www.criticalgames.com.au/
Post edited August 09, 2021 by MeowCanuck
Visually the problem of this game are not the graphics themselves (although they are generic preassets and pretty ugly) but something that has to do with the art direction and/or use of those sprites. It looks lazy, boring, empty and amateurish.

Anyway, who knows. Maybe the rest of the design, as a game, is better enough
Post edited August 09, 2021 by Gudadantza
Mr.Mumbles: Could be fun. The sequel definitely looks to have a lot more polish.
Surprisingly good, in my opinion. Stands out from similar style games with good writing and a simple but fun rock paper scissors style magic/weakness system. I had fun playing it. I am definetly looking forward to the next one.