It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mrkgnao: ... And only a handful of countries actually pay the US price. These countries are:
United States (US), Canada (CA), Cuba (CU), Iran, Islamic Republic of (IR), Korea, Democratic People's Republic of (KP), Myanmar (MM), Sudan (SD), Syrian Arab Republic (SY), Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of (VE)
IAmSinistar: America's Rogues Gallery of mortal enemies. And yes, that includes Canada. ;)
Apparently Canada was not enough of a mortal enemy to remain on the list for long.

From MaGog's logs for 21 March:

Canada got its first regionally-priced game. Congratulations.

* Regional price for Witcher: Wild Hunt, The - preorder [Upcoming] in CA: $46.99 instead of $59.99

I will be splitting Canada into its own region later today.
Post edited March 21, 2015 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: [url=http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=423&scp=gdspur&dsp=ip&ord=&flt=prp~1~&opt=]http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=423&scp=gdspur&dsp=ip&ord=&flt=prp~1~&opt=[/url]
apehater: i guess its time for holidays in russia :)
Dont want to start big discussion here, but considering situation in economics there is no time for holidays in russia for now. Yeah, regional prices is significantly lower, but income is dropping too.
low rated
apehater: i guess its time for holidays in russia :)
Redfern: Dont want to start big discussion here, but considering situation in economics there is no time for holidays in russia for now. Yeah, regional prices is significantly lower, but income is dropping too.
i didn't suggest that the prices in russia are cheap for russians, i just meant that its cheap for a european tourist
Redfern: Dont want to start big discussion here, but considering situation in economics there is no time for holidays in russia for now. Yeah, regional prices is significantly lower, but income is dropping too.
apehater: i didn't suggest that the prices in russia are cheap for russians, i just meant that its cheap for a european tourist
I hardly can imagine this picture - peoples arriving from Europe to Russia and right in airport starting to buy, buy, buy game on GOG :))))
Someone - maybe. Oh, and you know, there is easier ways, like someone gettin gift purchase in Ru, while other part purchase something for first one in western store. (i dont suggest anything).
Redfern: I hardly can imagine this picture - peoples arriving from Europe to Russia and right in airport starting to buy, buy, buy game on GOG :))))
Someone - maybe. Oh, and you know, there is easier ways, like someone gettin gift purchase in Ru, while other part purchase something for first one in western store. (i dont suggest anything).
And this is still a pretty convoluted scheme as compared to using one of a certain type of networks that can be abbreviated to three letters. ;)
mrkgnao: Canada got its first regionally-priced game. Congratulations.
Oh Canada...
I know this is wishful thinking but it would be totally cool to see a history chart of the prices over time for all the regions for each game including sales periods (longer than the Insomnia).

That way one could say if for example the regional spread gets smaller with time since release or larger and if the spread gets smaller during sales or larger and in generall how often regional prices fluctuate. After all this is kind of a game played by the sellers, so the buyers should have some fun with it too.

Of course this would require that the historic data is kept in some way (by MaGog)? And if so, a google spreadsheet with the historic numbers would be enough and I would volunteer to make some graphs.
Trilarion: I know this is wishful thinking but it would be totally cool to see a history chart of the prices over time for all the regions for each game including sales periods (longer than the Insomnia).

That way one could say if for example the regional spread gets smaller with time since release or larger and if the spread gets smaller during sales or larger and in generall how often regional prices fluctuate. After all this is kind of a game played by the sellers, so the buyers should have some fun with it too.

Of course this would require that the historic data is kept in some way (by MaGog)? And if so, a google spreadsheet with the historic numbers would be enough and I would volunteer to make some graphs.
MaGog has all the information in its logs (USD prices only, not other currencies), but we're probably talking gigabytes of text you will have to wade through to collect the data. At the moment, I do not plan to do that. If you would like to, let me know and I will somehow pass the logs to you.
mrkgnao: ... MaGog has all the information in its logs (USD prices only, not other currencies), but we're probably talking gigabytes of text you will have to wade through to collect the data. At the moment, I do not plan to do that. If you would like to, let me know and I will somehow pass the logs to you.
Thanks for the feedback. If you could make the zipped logs accessible, I promise to make an attempt at creating price history charts.
mrkgnao: ... MaGog has all the information in its logs (USD prices only, not other currencies), but we're probably talking gigabytes of text you will have to wade through to collect the data. At the moment, I do not plan to do that. If you would like to, let me know and I will somehow pass the logs to you.
Trilarion: Thanks for the feedback. If you could make the zipped logs accessible, I promise to make an attempt at creating price history charts.
OK.

I had originally intended to give you the raw log files from September 2014 until today (2,412 files, 2.7 GB), but then I realised that some of them contain private information, so I grepped the files and extracted only the regional pricing information into a single text file (trilarion.txt).

The file is not too big (~70 MB; just over half a million lines), and compresses well so the resulting zip is only ~3.7 MB.

The file can be found here: http://www.an-ovel.com/downloads/trilarion.zip.

You will find two types of lines in the file:

Type (1) looks like this:
==================
gogb_Fri_Mar_13_05_30_01_2015_from_716.log:* Regional price for Kromaia in SE: $19.49 instead of $19.99

This kind of line appears for every regionally-priced game in every region every time MaGog runs (i.e. nowadays every 6 hours, previously every 12 hours). Since this information does not change often, the same lines will appear many times throughout the file (with a different log file name). These lines for the bulk of the file.

The part before the colon is the original log file from which it came. You can use this to determine the date and time the information belongs to (e.g. Friday, March 13 2015, 05:30:01). Times are GMT. Ignore the "from_xxx" part.

The part after the colon is pretty self explanatory (game, region (use my matrix table to identify regions), regional price, US price).

Note that once a week MaGog checks prices not only for the identified regions but for every country in the world, so you will see lines with all kinds of two-letter abbreviations.

Type (2) looks like this:
==================

gogb_Fri_Mar_20_17_30_01_2015_from_588.log:NOTE! CHANGED Kromaia, reg_price_pl: 19.49 ***TO*** 18.99

This kind of line appears only when a price (in USD) changes and are therefore appears much less often in the file.

The part before the colon is the same.

The part after the colon is hopefully also pretty clear (game, region (the two letters after reg_price_), the regional price before the change, the regional price after the change.

Notes:
- The lines in the file are not sorted in any meaningful way.
- All prices are in USD.
- Information goes back only to 7 September 2014, when MaGog began collection regional pricing info.
- The formats above are shown as they are today. They changed a bit over time (added bold. underline, $, asterisk, etc.), so expect some variation when you write a program to extract information (you are not going to do it manually, I hope...).
- Some log file name may differ from the examples above (e.g. have a "manual_") prefix.
- The regions MaGog checks evolved over time, so information for some regions begins later than for others. You can use MaGog's changelog to determine when these things more or less happened (changes will often appear in the logs a few days before I release a version -- I test my code before releasing it...).
- Occasionally MaGog has bugs which I fix, but traces of these may well be present in the logs, so if something looks fishy, ask.

Hope this is clear enough. Ask if you need more information.

Enjoy.
Post edited March 24, 2015 by mrkgnao
From MaGog's logs for 24 March:

* Regional price for Airline Tycoon Deluxe in RU: $3.79 instead of $9.99
* Regional price for Airline Tycoon Deluxe in UZ: $3.79 instead of $9.99

P.S. Good news. The first pre-2000 game to be regionally priced.
Post edited March 24, 2015 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: From MaGog's logs for 24 March:

Just a thought, but since those games don't sport a higher-than-base price anywhere, why don't you post them in the Regional Discounted thread? Or perhaps you consider this thread the base of operations?
mrkgnao: From MaGog's logs for 24 March:

Grargar: Just a thought, but since those games don't sport a higher-than-base price anywhere, why don't you post them in the Regional Discounted thread? Or perhaps you consider this thread the base of operations?
I consider this thread the base of operations (the discount thread is pretty deserted). As you know, even with two threads to post my reports in I make mistakes.

I myself also don't make the distinction that IAmSinistar makes. For me, it's either flat priced or it's not. I don't believe in regional-pricing-lite.

Anyhow, this game broke the 2000 glass ceiling, it deserves a place of honour.
mrkgnao: P.S. Good news. The first pre-2000 game to be regionally priced.
That is Good News™. Regional pricing Classics make them even more Classical! Doubleplusgood.

mrkgnao: I myself also don't make the distinction that IAmSinistar makes. For me, it's either flat priced or it's not. I don't believe in regional-pricing-lite.
For clarification I do consider both kinds to be forms of regional pricing. I just consider them distinct in mechanics and intent. True regional pricing ostensibly means "everyone pays a fair price based on their national economy", though in reality it generally translates to "arbitrary and reflexive pricing that screws some nations and favours others".

In contrast I view the regional discounts as companies saying "we're willing to take a profit hit in some places for market penetration". Less evil, because no one is charged more than the baseline price in order to subsidise someone else, but still not flat (or fair) pricing.
Post edited March 24, 2015 by IAmSinistar
mrkgnao: I myself also don't make the distinction that IAmSinistar makes. For me, it's either flat priced or it's not. I don't believe in regional-pricing-lite.
IAmSinistar: For clarification I do consider both kinds to be forms of regional pricing. I just consider them distinct in mechanics and intent. True regional pricing ostensibly means "everyone pays a fair price based on their national economy", though in reality it generally translates to "arbitrary and reflexive pricing that screws some nations and favours others".

In contrast I view the regional discounts as companies saying "we're willing to take a profit hit in some places for market penetration". Less evil, because no one is charged more than the baseline price in order to subsidise someone else, but still not flat (or fair) pricing.
I understand.
Except that with the strengthening of the dollar, games move from one group to the other without any change in publisher/developer/GOG intent.