It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

IAmSinistar: DVDs are already region coded (unless you get one that is Region 0). Also, the differences in television formats introduce other issues between regions (for example, PAL in the UK, NTSC in the States). Not sure if the Brits still censor that particular film or not.
In theory, digital broadcasting could easily overcome the limitations of both formats, sadly current DTB has inherited the sins and faluts of its forebears.

The most obvious difference was the framerate which had to do with distributed electric current cycles if I remember corectly, being different in america to those of europe.

While framerate is serious fucking bussiness in a CRT TV, it is absolutely meaningless in a LCD screen showing video from a digital source.
j0ekerr: But it remains worst movie.
Agreed. Nazis at the Center of the Earth was way better.
A lot of PAL v NTSC (and SECAM) has to do with the selected refresh rate. NTSC went with 60hz which is kind of dumb because it's vulnerable to ground hum interference. Europe (save France) went with PAL instead, with its 50hz refresh to avoid falling in phase with one and three phase electrical transmission. There are other sundry technical differences such as resolutions but not as relates to the electrical decisions like the frequency was.
( and Never The Same Color has shit fidelity and accuracy.)
Post edited February 26, 2015 by EBToriginal
InfraSuperman: The general argument from German officials is that, due to its appropriation by the NSDAP, any variation of the symbol is "burdened" by those connotations and any depiction might be misunderstood as Nazi propaganda.

It's actually kind of funny to see how the German government is always walking on eggshells when it comes to Religions such as Islam and Judaism, always desperately flailing to not offend anyone, only to then turn around and piss all over an important symbol for Hindus and Buddhists. In 2005, Germany suggested a Europe-wide ban of the symbol to the EU. They only dropped it after British Hindus protested.
"We stole one of your sacred symbols and perverted it in the minds of millions. In lieu of an apology, please accept this international ban."

Awesome.

j0ekerr: The most obvious difference was the framerate which had to do with distributed electric current cycles if I remember corectly, being different in america to those of europe.
And number of scanlines. I remember playing UK games on my US Amiga. They worked fine, except for some wonky vertical display issues.

But yes, most of those issues are being relegated to the past, thanks to new digital formats. And since a lot of material is going back and remastering from the source, the televisual formats are even less relevant.
MaGo72: "Eigentlich" is a word, which is translated to rather or actually, in the German language you use "eigentlich" when you not fully confess to a statement.
To make better understanding: If the term "eigentlich" is used together with a "nicht" (not) negation, it translates directly to "not really". I hope that helps to understand the concept.
IAmSinistar: How about people stop banning the swastika altogether and just ban the fucking hakenkreuz? That way we can keep an ancient symbol of good fortune and lose its evil mirror-universe twin.
InfraSuperman: The general argument from German officials is that, due to its appropriation by the NSDAP, any variation of the symbol is "burdened" by those connotations and any depiction might be misunderstood as Nazi propaganda.

It's actually kind of funny to see how the German government is always walking on eggshells when it comes to Religions such as Islam and Judaism, always desperately flailing to not offend anyone, only to then turn around and piss all over an important symbol for Hindus and Buddhists. In 2005, Germany suggested a Europe-wide ban of the symbol to the EU. They only dropped it after British Hindus protested.
My question may sound stupid (and is fully off-topic) but... and into movies ? And documentaries ? How the german government deal with them ?
Post edited February 26, 2015 by Splatsch
MaGo72: There is a conference from 2013 where a german citizen asks Ms. Merkel if Germany is still occupied or a sovereign state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx0BQk5ouTQ

She answers, yes, "eigentlich" Germany is a sovereign state. "Eigentlich" is a word, which is translated to rather or actually, in the German language you use "eigentlich" when you not fully confess to a statement. And the citizen mentions also that we do not have a peace treaty.
IAmSinistar: Cripes. That's quite discomfiting. And now they are arguably the most powerful member of the EU. So who exactly lost the war?
Well Germany did lose the war. We still have american air and army bases.
Post edited February 26, 2015 by MaGo72
Wait, there's something I don't understand. Exactly what kind of law would GoG be breaking by not selling these games in Germany/Australia? Online shops are only legally bounded by the laws of a country they servers are in, no? So unless the servers are in Germany or Australia, they can do all of jack shit to enforce GoG to region lock these games.

Then again, it was same thing with region pricing, GoG decided to put it on by themselves "for better GoG" so I'm not exactly surprised here...

j0ekerr: But it remains worst movie.
InfraSuperman: Agreed. Nazis at the Center of the Earth was way better.
Man, that movie is hilarious.
high rated
I'm really angry about this censorship rubbish. Big disappointment! I'm not buying anything of the statement GOG made. The only reason they came up with this is because of the German version of the website. They can shove it where the sun doesn't shine along with all German game translations - they're mediocre at best and so is GOG's website translation btw. Selling out freedom of gaming for a shabby language version and few additional sales sucks big time. Bad move GOG.
Splatsch: My question may sound stupid (and is fully off-topic) but... and into movies ? And documentaries ? How the german government deal with them ?
movies (documentaries) and books are art. comics and videogames are not considered art. thats the problem....

IAmSinistar: "We stole one of your sacred symbols and perverted it in the minds of millions. In lieu of an apology, please accept this international ban."

Awesome.
This... nothing further needs to be said, I salute you good sir.

j0ekerr: The most obvious difference was the framerate which had to do with distributed electric current cycles if I remember corectly, being different in america to those of europe.
IAmSinistar: And number of scanlines. I remember playing UK games on my US Amiga. They worked fine, except for some wonky vertical display issues.

But yes, most of those issues are being relegated to the past, thanks to new digital formats. And since a lot of material is going back and remastering from the source, the televisual formats are even less relevant.
Oh damn right, I forgot about that, 525 for NTSC with 625 for PAL. From which we inherited the 480i and 576i formats, which are abominations that should be purged.
Garret02: Wait, there's something I don't understand. Exactly what kind of law would GoG be breaking by not selling these games in Germany/Australia? Online shops are only legally bounded by the laws of a country they servers are in, no? So unless the servers are in Germany or Australia, they can do all of jack shit to enforce GoG to region lock these games.
Basically, your understanding of the relevant law is about completely wrong. They could be sued by both the government and competitors. And the government could compel the banks to not allow transactions or even order them to claw back fines and penalties. Not to mention the risk of extradition in a particularly egregious case.
Splatsch: My question may sound stupid (and is fully off-topic) but... and into movies ? And documentaries ? How the german government deal with them ?
Movies and such are considered adult entertainment. Video games are considered preschooler's content. So every video game has to accommodate that. It's not only about explicit visual content. If the story line is to complex or "disturbing" for a child, the video game gets banned. Just like with printed books (yes, those get banned, too).
Post edited February 26, 2015 by jtsn
Garret02: Wait, there's something I don't understand. Exactly what kind of law would GoG be breaking by not selling these games in Germany/Australia? Online shops are only legally bounded by the laws of a country they servers are in, no? So unless the servers are in Germany or Australia, they can do all of jack shit to enforce GoG to region lock these games.
EBToriginal: Basically, your understanding of the relevant law is about completely wrong. They could be sued by both the government and competitors. And the government could compel the banks to not allow transactions or even order them to claw back fines and penalties. Not to mention the risk of extradition in a particularly egregious case.
or just to become blocked in each country, meaning gOg looses those markets.
Lykaon: movies (documentaries) and books are art. comics and videogames are not considered art. thats the problem....
Ok, I see... Thanks for the explanations, they are very interesting (I always heard about censorship against hakenkreuz in germany, but never knew much more (all swastika variations ? woaow...) and why in some media and not others).